MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I think RBC is sometimes lit up at night. Lighting up the Bell MTS could illuminate some of those early morning stabbings.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Can you still go into Moxie's during the game? With a Portage Ave entrance, it strikes me that going in there would have to be considered "exiting the arena".

the strange part of it is you are not able to enter moxies. during intermissions they have an employee standing at the door and tapered off. You also need to show your ticket when entering the concourse. so you could find a way to leave but then its kind of pointless cause your reasoning to be with others isn't there.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think RBC is sometimes lit up at night. Lighting up the Bell MTS could illuminate some of those early morning stabbings.
Yes, RBC at Portage and Fort is lit up with different coloured LED spotlights. Also the Richardson Building has lights but they're mostly around the base. The BellMTS tower has that white light line (formerly blue) running the length of the building - and the shorter BellMTS building next door has a light ringing the top. I think 360 Main is adding a light strip as part of the recladding. There are a number of smaller buildings that are lit up as well around downtown and the Exchange (Assiniboine Landing, Hotel Fort Garry, the Porter House/Galpern apartments, etc.).

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
waste of energy? i will tell almost every city in the world that has a beautiful downtown this.

Yeah I live in Edmonton, You guys will never reach our level of technological sophistication if you don't hurry up

downtown-edmonton-winter.jpg

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
On the real though Edmonton has really started to light up the down town and I have to say it makes a massive difference. Winnipeg needs to get on it! #morefunnelators

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
the strange part of it is you are not able to enter moxies. during intermissions they have an employee standing at the door and tapered off. You also need to show your ticket when entering the concourse. so you could find a way to leave but then its kind of pointless cause your reasoning to be with others isn't there.

Can you still go into Moxie's during the game? With a Portage Ave entrance, it strikes me that going in there would have to be considered "exiting the arena".

I know the owner and I texted him and passed on your comments and this is what he said is the new rules policy: "once the game event starts we are closed to the public but fully open to the arena patrons through the concourse doors (across from the bud lounge). We are essentially part of the arena. The doors that go into the rotunda (Portage and Smith entrance) are closed to limit the amount of security staff needed. During the games you can no longer leave through the Moxie's doors onto Portage ave and return anymore. Its the same rules as the rest of the building. We become part of the building at puck drop."

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know the owner and I texted him and passed on your comments and this is what he said is the new rules policy: "once the game event starts we are closed to the public but fully open to the arena patrons through the concourse doors (across from the bud lounge). We are essentially part of the arena. The doors that go into the rotunda (Portage and Smith entrance) are closed to limit the amount of security staff needed. During the games you can no longer leave through the Moxie's doors onto Portage ave and return anymore. Its the same rules as the rest of the building. We become part of the building at puck drop."

So ........ security isn't an issue until the puck drops?

The 'no re-entry' policy is certainly fan unfriendly and seems to be nothing more nor less than a thinly veiled attempt to coerce more concessions spending inside BMTSP.

Not a problem for me personally since I so rarely go there but the optics are bad for TNSE, IMHO.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So ........ security isn't an issue until the puck drops?

The 'no re-entry' policy is certainly fan unfriendly and seems to be nothing more nor less than a thinly veiled attempt to coerce more concessions spending inside BMTSP.

Not a problem for me personally since I so rarely go there but the optics are bad for TNSE, IMHO.

I'm going to my first regular season game tomorrow night so I'm curious to see how bad it is. Wasn't awful in the preseason though still bathroom lineups, go figure. But I heard some horror stories from the TO game so we'll see. I'll give 'em a chance.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm going to my first regular season game tomorrow night so I'm curious to see how bad it is. Wasn't awful in the preseason though still bathroom lineups, go figure. But I heard some horror stories from the TO game so we'll see. I'll give 'em a chance.

All part of the long game. Crowded concourses and facilities will justify the new arena in 15-20 years. :laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I should still be here by then but no guarantees. Hell, I might have stopped drinking by then but I suppose the need for a washroom may be even stronger. #bringbackthetrough

Just say no to troughs. Hell, if I can't snag a stall I clench right up. Must be pee group pressure. :D

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just say no to troughs. Hell, if I can't snag a stall I clench right up. Must be pee group pressure. :D

No that is just the lingering effects of the PTSD of an entire generation of men who had to battle stage fright and shrinkage at the Bombers troughs in those freezing late October early November games.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I was joking about the trough.

Holy Hannah though does it ever suck in there at a regular season game. Again, maybe it's my end but we left our seats in the first intermission to get a beer and take a leak, so to speak.

The congestion in the concourse is atrocious now down by 112. The Tim's may have moved but there are so many more people in line for beer down there now it's crazy. Why? Because they've figured out that in an effort to deliver a higher quality of food (rather than off the rack) at the other kiosks they now have wait times for food. So you get a bunch of people standing around waiting for their food order and not moving out of the serving area. And I don't blame them, I'm not walking 20 feet away while waiting for food either. But it completely clogs up the beer sales at the regular windows where you used to buy a ready made hot dog, popcorn or slice of pizza.

No word of a lie, we left our seats as soon as the first period ended. Exited section 112 and saw the beer lineup there. Headed through the somewhat obscene congestion to a hole in the wall around section 116 and got in line. Got our beer and went to the washroom line which still existed with five minutes left in intermission. By the time we got back to our seats there were three minutes gone in the second period. It quite literally took us 23 minutes to get out of our seats, get a beer, go to the washroom and get back to our seats.

I'm certain there are faster lines and at the "drinks only line" I'm sure the service moves much more quickly than we experienced. Even still, spending most of the time accomplishing to relatively simple tasks is not groovy by any stretch of the imagination. If they thought locking me in would generate more sales at concessions they are sadly mistaken. While I'll try to find a sweet spot for timing it's unlikely it will happen. Keep in mind I sit smack in the middle of a 24 seat row so getting up during a television break isn't really feasible.

I wonder if I can move to the upper deck where the fan experience seems to be of some level of consideration, not the case in the lower bowl.

[/salty]

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Keep in mind I sit smack in the middle of a 24 seat row so getting up during a television break isn't really feasible.

Yes it is. It's not like anyone is going to go all Gandalf on you and say, you shall not pass! We're Canadians for Christ sake. If anything, they'll all probably apologize to you for being in your way as you make your way down the row. And if they're put out, who the f*** cares? Mildly annoying a dozen people is way better than being majorly annoyed yourself.
You're paying thousands of dollars a year to attend these games. Assert your right to visit the concessions or washrooms whenever you damn well feel like! :soap:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yes it is. It's not like anyone is going to go all Gandalf on you and say, you shall not pass! We're Canadians for Christ sake. If anything, they'll all probably apologize to you for being in your way as you make your way down the row. And if they're put out, who the **** cares? Mildly annoying a dozen people is way better than being majorly annoyed yourself.
You're paying thousands of dollars a year to attend these games. Assert your right to visit the concessions or washrooms whenever you damn well feel like! :soap:
Yeah, that's not me. Wandering down past a dozen people so I can avoid a long lineup isn't really Canadian either. Plus there's the whole paying thousands of dollars to watch a hockey game in person thing rather than having such an abysmal situation that is never addressed that I have to wait in line during intermission. Honestly it's a little nuts. Early on, ok, we need to address this but it's at the point where we're seven years in and they haven't addressed the washroom backlog. Turn left out of my section and you have to go back to the right anyway because that's how far the men's washroom lineup goes (past the Jets store kiosk). Turn right and you hit two women's washrooms before you come to the next men's washroom which is also lined up. The two women's washrooms in between? Maybe have a lineup for three minutes before it's just a security person standing out there. You know what? If it's a Carrie Underwood concert I totally get it. It's a Jets game, predominantly a sausage fest. Figure it the F out. Or open the damn doors, let the people smoke and let me jog over to Tavern or the Met, take a wiz and buy a beer there for the convenience.

I actually have a friend who works for TNSE and we were chatting tonight about the burgers. He asked for feedback next time we run into each other and the burger station, pre-game, was fine. Burger was tasty, took exactly as long as the young lady said it would. But once we got to intermission everything was below acceptable. I'll communicate it and fully expect TNSE denial. De rigeur for the situation.

I'll just move to the upper deck (hah, like they'd allow that).

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
The new game intro video is absolutely brutal...
Sucks the energy right out of the arena. The fans walking out of the hangar is totally unmotivational and corny in a very bad way. Most years I have been very impressed by how they have a created an intro video to pump up the rink just before the players hit the ice. Whoever put this garbage together should get walking papers. This whole #RiseTogether crap is so misplaced.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Section 109. Left my seat after the buzzer at the end of the second. Stood in line to use the bathroom. Grabbed a beer. Back in my seat with 5 minutes on the clock before the start if the third.

Not sure what the problem is... :huh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
You and cbcwpg should come to some sort of arrangement. He hates his upper deck seats and you hate your lower bowl seats. Could be a match made in heaven. :laugh:

:laugh: Not like they would let that happen.

My seats in the upper deck are actually great ( location to exit, washroom, concessions, etc.. ) except for the whole seeing the net thing. It has been getting better... the ushers ( at least the ones in my section ) are really cracking down on the loge leaners this season.

If you look at the arena as two areas .... the inner arena where people sit and the outer arena which is the concession area... the inner arena is fine, but the problem is the outer arena is too small for the size on the inner. It's like they built a 15,000 seat arena, but a concession area for a 10,000 seat arena.

The ultimate solution, a better building, is a very very long time away.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
My seats in the upper deck are actually great ( location to exit, washroom, concessions, etc.. ) except for the whole seeing the net thing. It has been getting better... the ushers ( at least the ones in my section ) are really cracking down on the loge leaners this season.

How about the servers? Are they getting in the way during play?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Section 109. Left my seat after the buzzer at the end of the second. Stood in line to use the bathroom. Grabbed a beer. Back in my seat with 5 minutes on the clock before the start if the third.

Not sure what the problem is... :huh:
Well I'm not sure why my side sucks so much and so badly either. But I'm at the game on Tuesday and I'm swinging a hard left out of 112 and coming to your side now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad