MTS Centre upgrades - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's what I expect as well. There was also a directive from the NHL to not allow re-entry back into the building once you leave. Not sure if or how TNSE will implement that policy.

That sounds more like a cash grab than a security issue.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That sounds more like a cash grab than a security issue.

It was a FiFA security issue at IGF this summer. Not sure how it's a cash grab in Ottawa where the arena is surrounded by a parking lot. It might have something to do with using the majority of your security people who staff the entry areas to other tasks once the building fills up. TNSE hasn't announced anything so perhaps it's status quo at the MTS Centre, at least for now.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/07/21/canadian-tire-centre-ramps-up-security

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I went to one hockey game at MTSC when some people leaving after the second period gave me a ticket. I bought a popcorn.

CaptainKirk316

Feb 8, 2014
Winnipeg
I would not be shocked if they attempt to implement a no re-entry policy, but I think the backlash would be so big they wouldn't do it. Currently ~25% of people go outside or to the mall or nearby to watch the intermission report, grab a drink and have easier access to the bathrooms. Re-introducing approx. 4-5K extra people into the concourse would bring it to an absolute screeching halt.

If it does happen. well c'est la vie, but it would be a huge hit to the experience and a complete step backwards for the SHED dreams the city has.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The no re-entry thing is people mis-interpretting an article on the Senators. The article said they were adding metal detectors per new NHL policy and implementing a no re-entry policy. The no re-entry isn't an NHL policy, it's a Senators specific policy. The Jets haven't said anything about such a policy so not sure we should assume it's being implemented here as well.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
The no re-entry thing is people mis-interpretting an article on the Senators. The article said they were adding metal detectors per new NHL policy and implementing a no re-entry policy. The no re-entry isn't an NHL policy, it's a Senators specific policy. The Jets haven't said anything about such a policy so not sure we should assume it's being implemented here as well.

Yep. And like someone said above, the Canadian Tire Centre is surrounded by nothingness. There's really no reason to go outside unless you want a smoke or you desperately need to visit a car dealership during the intermission.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
I would not be shocked if they attempt to implement a no re-entry policy, but I think the backlash would be so big they wouldn't do it. Currently ~25% of people go outside or to the mall or nearby to watch the intermission report, grab a drink and have easier access to the bathrooms. Re-introducing approx. 4-5K extra people into the concourse would bring it to an absolute screeching halt.

If it does happen. well c'est la vie, but it would be a huge hit to the experience and a complete step backwards for the SHED dreams the city has.

Ide be willing to bet True north Square will be designed to alleviate some pressure off the MTSC facilities with it's close proximity to the venue itself.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Question about the metal detectors for those whom wish to speculate.

Are these to be used instead of the pat-down or in conjunction with the pat-down?

If they are used with the pat-down this might take more time to get in. And if the metal detectors are to eliminate the pat-down, well... not all weapons are metal. As well, the pat-down would find things that weren't weapons, like the odd little flask of "drink enhancer".

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Question about the metal detectors for those whom wish to speculate.

Are these to be used instead of the pat-down or in conjunction with the pat-down?

If they are used with the pat-down this might take more time to get in. And if the metal detectors are to eliminate the pat-down, well... not all weapons are metal. As well, the pat-down would find things that weren't weapons, like the odd little flask of "drink enhancer".

I went to the saddledome last year and they were using metal detectors. If you don't beep they just waved you through but they would wand or pat down people who beeped. They were also still checking bags and napsacks. Not really any faster or slower IMO as you still had to go through one at a time like at the airport

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Ide be willing to bet True north Square will be designed to alleviate some pressure off the MTSC facilities with it's close proximity to the venue itself.

People go to the Shark Club in droves between periods for a quick beer and bathroom break. I'd worry about the traffic if they went across the street kitty corner. Might get hit by a bus.

Gotta Jet

Aug 25, 2011
Behind the net
Wind knocked it down is what I heard.

Actually got damaged in a wind storm last year. The south face was damaged and they are apparently redesigning the entire sign. Something big and flashy I'm sure will go back up. I think they are supposed to be using the same three sides triangular structure, just a different type of sign that is more hardy.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Got an email from the Jets today, looks like we'll be able to get a preview before the pre-season games what the Loge seats will look and feel like. :yo:

I was kind of hoping they would do something like this. :handclap:

As a new Winnipeg Jets Loge Seat Holder, we would like to give you an exclusive sneak peek of the new Loge seating at MTS Centre. Please mark your calendar for Wednesday, September 16, 2015 (5:00pm to 7:00pm). More details will follow shortly.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

"Florida man..."

Yep. And like someone said above, the Canadian Tire Centre is surrounded by nothingness. There's really no reason to go outside unless you want a smoke or you desperately need to visit a car dealership during the intermission.

:laugh:

They probably have something sorted for smokers a la the Pepsi Center (an IGF-style livestock pen masquerading as a patio).

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
People go to the Shark Club in droves between periods for a quick beer and bathroom break. I'd worry about the traffic if they went across the street kitty corner. Might get hit by a bus.

I would suspect true North will do extensive research on the best access to TNS from MTSC. Via skywalks ect. You gotta think true north investing 400M kitty corner from the MTSC would have to do with improving the experience of jets games and profitability of the over all game days. If they are noticing Jets fans going across the street to spend Money they will try and capitalize on that.

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
6a4kIIb.jpg

New image of the Jumbotron! Courtesy of the people at /r/Hockey on Reddit.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
I'm wondering if the loge seating will obstruct the view for the first few rows of the upper deck. I may be worrying over nothing, I'm sure TN wouldn't do that, right?
Does anyone who is going to the "sneak peek" care to experiment?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm wondering if the loge seating will obstruct the view for the first few rows of the upper deck. I may be worrying over nothing, I'm sure TN wouldn't do that, right?
Does anyone who is going to the "sneak peek" care to experiment?

I do not think any architect would make a mistake like that.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I do not think any architect would make a mistake like that.

Well, Ive bee waiting five years for my obstruction to be fixed cause some moron decided to use bars and glass that skews your view when you look at it on an angle. I can't see the far crease. I know they are replacing it with glass this summer but unless its clear plexi glass without something on the outside it won't be great. So I think the railings and glass in the loge may obstruct my view as well a bit. I sure hope not.

Im second row upper deck, and can't believe its taken 5 years to fix that crap.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Well, Ive bee waiting five years for my obstruction to be fixed cause some moron decided to use bars and glass that skews your view when you look at it on an angle. I can't see the far crease. I know they are replacing it with glass this summer but unless its clear plexi glass without something on the outside it won't be great. So I think the railings and glass in the loge may obstruct my view as well a bit. I sure hope not.

I could be wrong but won't the old first row upper deck glass be eliminated or lowered then the only glass will be in front of the loge seats.this would explain why they have not done anything with this issue until now,knowing they would be altering the seats in the future.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

Our row is still waiting for cupholders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad