MTS Centre upgrades - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Why do I suddenly have "Space Oddity" playing in my head?

Seriously though.. my god.. all those buttons.

"Ground Control, this is Scoreboard One, I'm ready to put the Adam Lowry montage up."
"Check ignition, and may God's love be with you"

Ten nine........

spellchecker45

Oct 3, 2011
Why do I suddenly have "Space Oddity" playing in my head?

Seriously though.. my god.. all those buttons.

"Ground Control, this is Scoreboard One, I'm ready to put the Adam Lowry montage up."
"Check ignition, and may God's love be with you"

here you go lol

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Ten nine........

"Sip your liquor drink, put Pardy's helmet on"

Seriously, you know what version was awesome? Kristen Wiig's from the Walter Mitty movie. I wish there was a full version with Ben Stiller and her doing it acoustic like they half-did in the movie.

... hold this reference for when we play Dallas, after all their trades, ".. and the Stars look very different to-day-a-ay"

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
"Sip your liquor drink, put Pardy's helmet on"

Seriously, you know what version was awesome? Kristen Wiig's from the Walter Mitty movie. I wish there was a full version with Ben Stiller and her doing it acoustic like they half-did in the movie.

... hold this reference for when we play Dallas, after all their trades, ".. and the Stars look very different to-day-a-ay"

Well played :handclap:

I have not seen that movie but I will check it out because that sounds like a great version of an all time tune.

Last edited:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Well played :handclap:

I have not seen that's movie but I will check it out because that sounds like a great version of an all time tune.

I love that song.

True story: Years ago, when I made a big jump in my life and pulled up my stakes and moved back to Winnipeg and went into business for myself, I thought about it long and hard. On that last day I thought about it, I went for a drive and put some music on, kind of an inspirational playlist, and told myself by the end of the drive, I'd know for sure one way or another.

I forget most of the songs, but I remember "Carry On Wayward Son" (I requested it and they played it the day I moved out on my own for the first time), Hilary Duff's "Fly", and when Space Oddity played, that was when I knew. And even though the song ends in the objective failure of being lost in space, even failing can wind up being the greatest reward (being one with the stars and the universe for the rest of your life). So yeah, I found it oddly comforting.

Anyways, I found the version. Man, she has such a soothing voice.

The best part? At 3:20, when David Bowie sings "Tell my wife I love her very much", you can hear Kristen Wiig softly sing "She knows" along with David. Such a wonderful touch.

... and the scene from the movie that I really wish they'd do the whole cover in the style of:

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love that song.

True story: Years ago, when I made a big jump in my life and pulled up my stakes and moved back to Winnipeg and went into business for myself, I thought about it long and hard. On that last day I thought about it, I went for a drive and put some music on, kind of an inspirational playlist, and told myself by the end of the drive, I'd know for sure one way or another.

I forget most of the songs, but I remember "Carry On Wayward Son" (I requested it and they played it the day I moved out on my own for the first time), Hilary Duff's "Fly", and when Space Oddity played, that was when I knew. And even though the song ends in the objective failure of being lost in space, even failing can wind up being the greatest reward (being one with the stars and the universe for the rest of your life). So yeah, I found it oddly comforting.

Anyways, I found the version. Man, she has such a soothing voice.

The best part? At 3:20, when David Bowie sings "Tell my wife I love her very much", you can hear Kristen Wiig softly sing "She knows" along with David. Such a wonderful touch.

... and the scene from the movie that I really wish they'd do the whole cover in the style of:

10 out of 10 post! :handclap:

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
I like our board better than ACC's

CNJI-OtVEAAQdrd.jpg

CNJKxDYUwAAdSHm.jpg
[/IMG]

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Oh Man, with that screen, power ring and a Space Oddity video montage, that Home Opener introduction is going to look and feel fantastic from the Loge. <goosebumps>

:D:D:D

Damn, that just makes me want to see an up close and personal of the loges now. Why have the loge pictures dried up? :cry:

I looked up the thread on Reddit and the guy to took the scoreboard picture said he'd try and get a picture of the loge seats and post it on Monday (today). Hold tight. ;)

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Walking through the MTS Centre today and they've got metal detectors by all the entrances. They're off to the side on wheels so not sure if they plan on just putting them in place for NHL games. I believe NHL directive was that all the arenas had to have them this upcoming season.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Walking through the MTS Centre today and they've got metal detectors by all the entrances. They're off to the side on wheels so not sure if they plan on just putting them in place for NHL games. I believe NHL directive was that all the arenas had to have them this upcoming season.

That's what I expect as well. There was also a directive from the NHL to not allow re-entry back into the building once you leave. Not sure if or how TNSE will implement that policy.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
That's what I expect as well. There was also a directive from the NHL to not allow re-entry back into the building once you leave. Not sure if or how TNSE will implement that policy.

If you leave and come back, couldn't you just go thru the same security screening process and be let back in? That would only make sense, but I guess NHL may think otherwise.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Oh, boy. I know a lot of people who like to leave the arena at intermissions for a whole boat-load of nefarious reasons and they would not be happy about this.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

That (no re-entry) would be a tough sell in Winnipeg for all the smokers. Also the MTS being the smallest venue with lineups at the washrooms and being packed in the concourse like sardines would be even worse without the ability to grab a beer and wiz at the adjoining bars and malls.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Oh, boy. I know a lot of people who like to leave the arena at intermissions for a whole boat-load of nefarious reasons and they would not be happy about this.

The primary legal rationale being to let the smokers out. I don't know if smoking is banned in many states, is it? I know on recent trips to Minneapolis and St. Louis you can still light up in restaurants. I imagine that you cannot in the arena sitting areas, but unlike MTS I'd guess they have designated smoking areas indoors in the U.S. And no, I don't smoke.

If they ban leaving and re-entry I'll be seriously pushing for them to bring back the troughs. All about through put baby. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If you leave and come back, couldn't you just go thru the same security screening process and be let back in? That would only make sense, but I guess NHL may think otherwise.

It was all part of a general security upgrade for the whole league. I'm not saying I agree with it only that some other teams have announced the new security measures alteady. TNSE has been silent so far.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It was all part of a general security upgrade for the whole league. I'm not saying I agree with it only that some other teams have announced the new security measures alteady. TNSE has been silent so far.

I remember the article about the no re-entry being implemented in Ottawa or Calgary, I forget which. But was the no re-entry part of the league mandate or just the metal detectors? The article was a bit vague.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I remember the article about the no re-entry being implemented in Ottawa or Calgary, I forget which. But was the no re-entry part of the league mandate or just the metal detectors? The article was a bit vague.

I hope I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad