Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Tyler Toffoli signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $4.25M AAV)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Good signing by Montreal. Interested to see how this contract compares to what Hoffman, Dadonov, and Duclair ultimately get though. Someone might end up with a bargain by waiting.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Of the three who left (Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli), I’d have liked to hang onto Toffoli the most. But he would have meant no trade for Schmidt who filled a much bigger role.
But Montreal got a good one here at a fair price imo.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
no not garbage, and also not something you need to go on and brag about.
I think he should. You told us this early version was already superior.

You made your points but this ridiculous talk about Nick Suzuki needs to stop. I already start to dislike this kid and thats not his fault.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Without the horrendous career shot% of ~10% he would be a 6M$ player.

Still... It's a good pickup for the Habs for that money.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Too expensive. His numbers last year were inflated playing with Peterrsson. Has good scoring sense, not great in any other area.

This is an excellent point.

If you take away that one J.T. Miller goal that Toffoli and Pettersson assisted on and then you take away that Toffoli goal that Petterson assisted on, you have two less points on the season.

Stupid Montreal Canadiens are paying Toffoli like he's 44-point forward when in reality, without Pettersson he only had 42 points.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Good signing by Montreal. Interested to see how this contract compares to what Hoffman, Dadonov, and Duclair ultimately get though. Someone might end up with a bargain by waiting.

It is a fair and friendly deal because Toffoli's agent is Pat Brisson. Toffoli admitted in his interviews that Brisson definitely had a say in the signing and convinced him that Montreal was the perfect move/fit for him. Brisson is known to be a close friend of Bergevin and tends to favour a win-win approach when negotiating with him.

Max Domi and Max Pacioretty were both Brisson's clients and ultimately changed agents when renegotiating their contract with Bergevin. It's not much of a coincidence that they both got traded after the change, as it meant the end of friendly negotiations and the situation turning sour between the parties.

It'll be very interesting to see how much money/term Hoffman and Dadonov settles for. Toffoli's first move kind of sets the tone for that second-tier list of free agent forwards after Hall.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Caulfield

He who played only a few regular season games? I'll be the first to admit his shooting percentage for the season is not sustainable long term, but even if he reverts to a 25g per 82 game player he's still a bargain. He's a finisher. Doesn't matter who's feeding him and a great pass doesn't mean anything if you can't finish.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Bergevin should have to give Benning something. Some poutine? His workout regimen? Tix to just for laughs? A big bottle of Labatt Blue? Something? Anything?

Reactions: Peen

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Bergevin should have to give Benning something. Some poutine? His workout regimen? Tix to just for laughs? A big bottle of Labatt Blue? Something? Anything?

As a VAN fan, I was so disappointed he was let go, and I still am. As a MTL fan, I was so happy he signed at this contract level and I still am.

I guess Roussel, Pearson, Sutter are more important players...

Reactions: Son of Petter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad