Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Tyler Toffoli signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $4.25M AAV)

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Suzuki is basically a second shot for the Habs at Saku Koivu's career. So long as he's healthy he'll never be an issue.

This very early version of suzuki is already superior to koivu. You could have a case with a more polished defensive play/faceoffs but as far as shooting, passing, vision, general skills and creating offense it won't be close.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This very early version of suzuki is already superior to koivu. You could have a case with a more polished defensive play/faceoffs but as far as shooting, passing, vision, general skills and creating offense it won't be close.
Nah Saku legit led the league in scoring before his knee injury. I believe Suzuki will get there but Saku's peak was great.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
It is.

I keep on reading that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be the two first centers next year. I get the enthusiasm, but it's a lot to ask.

Suzuki was amazing during the playoffs. But it was a short window. During the season, he had ups and downs, had to deal with a rigorous NHL schedule. Granted, I'll be older this year, but to pencil him like a first line center already... The Habs gonna burn themselves.

And Kotkaniemi... I feel most people here either overate or underate him. The guy had a terrible season and opportunistic playoffs. He was more physical, had more energy and showed some goal scoring flair, but he was very much sheltered. In fact, for his progression, I hope Julien uses him as a third center. The goal for him is consistency.

Toffoli has a great contract, but he's a poor man's Pacioretty, but slower. If Habs fans were frustrated by Pacioretty's streaky side, they'll have to lower their expectations.

Then, Anderson. Great player. Only had one great season. Even in minors, nothing to write home about. I know, he was injured, but even healthy, he could've an off season. I love his style, but there are possibilities he'll be sub par.

Romanov now. Amazing pedigree. Can't wait to see him play. Some says he'll be alongside Weber. The kid didn't play a minute in the NHL and he's suppose to be the guy who will solidify your defense? Come on.

If those five players answer the call and play up to expectations, the Habs will be hard to stop. But what are the odds of that happening? IF Danault stays a defensive force, Gallagher scores 30, Tatar keeps on his last two seasons pace, Drouin not being this weird black hole, Price actually playing like Price (I believe Allen will help with that) and Weber not declining too much. That's a lot of ifs!

Look, if I'm a Habs fan, I'm excited. But I'm not necessarily over optimistic. This team could be second in their division or could miss the playoff. Both wouldn't surprise me.
You summed it up perfectly.

The more realistic Habs fans realize this. Unfortunately, most are infatuated with our youth and would trade players like Danault or Gallagher in a second.

Reactions: Narg98

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Don't let nostalgia get in the way and open your eyes !

Peak Koivu was a 2 way 70+ point player (actually hit it twice and paced it a bunch more) Suzuki is not that atleast not yet. He definitely can get there but nostalgia isn't tricking anyone here. But Koivu is being underrated.

If KK and Suzuki both turn into Koivu like players we are in really good shape for a long time.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
nah people forget who scored those goals because he barely reached 20 goals 3 times in his career. Great passer, amazing attitude, but it is what it is.
Peak Koivu was a 2 way 70+ point player (actually hit it twice and paced it a bunch more) Suzuki is not that atleast not yet. He definitely can get there but nostalgia isn't tricking anyone here. But Koivu is being underrated.

If KK and Suzuki both turn into Koivu like players we are in really good shape for a long time.

well they both can score so its already a big improvement.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
no not garbage, and also not something you need to go on and brag about.

Absolutely loving the idea that being the 10th best in the world at something isn't a big deal.

If you think Nick Suzuki is going to end up better than that, and if he doesn't he blew it? Boy disappointment is easy for you.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It is.

I keep on reading that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be the two first centers next year. I get the enthusiasm, but it's a lot to ask.

Suzuki was amazing during the playoffs. But it was a short window. During the season, he had ups and downs, had to deal with a rigorous NHL schedule. Granted, I'll be older this year, but to pencil him like a first line center already... The Habs gonna burn themselves.

And Kotkaniemi... I feel most people here either overate or underate him. The guy had a terrible season and opportunistic playoffs. He was more physical, had more energy and showed some goal scoring flair, but he was very much sheltered. In fact, for his progression, I hope Julien uses him as a third center. The goal for him is consistency.

Toffoli has a great contract, but he's a poor man's Pacioretty, but slower. If Habs fans were frustrated by Pacioretty's streaky side, they'll have to lower their expectations.

Then, Anderson. Great player. Only had one great season. Even in minors, nothing to write home about. I know, he was injured, but even healthy, he could've an off season. I love his style, but there are possibilities he'll be sub par.

Romanov now. Amazing pedigree. Can't wait to see him play. Some says he'll be alongside Weber. The kid didn't play a minute in the NHL and he's suppose to be the guy who will solidify your defense? Come on.

If those five players answer the call and play up to expectations, the Habs will be hard to stop. But what are the odds of that happening? IF Danault stays a defensive force, Gallagher scores 30, Tatar keeps on his last two seasons pace, Drouin not being this weird black hole, Price actually playing like Price (I believe Allen will help with that) and Weber not declining too much. That's a lot of ifs!

Look, if I'm a Habs fan, I'm excited. But I'm not necessarily over optimistic. This team could be second in their division or could miss the playoff. Both wouldn't surprise me.

Exactly, but the fans you read about thought we were a playoff team in the last few years... Heck I've read people say Suzuki was an "elite 1st C" - let's calm down. Realistically, I believe that we are now good enough to consistently be in the playoff run and not be a bottom feeder anymore. Which is aheck of a lot more exciting than the last 5 years but still kind of underwhelming when you look outside Montreal.

But one thing is that I'm glad we only have Anderson as a "wishful" signing. Toffoli is a proven 20 goals, 40+ points scorer - he achieved it just last season! Edmunson, it seems like most fans understand he's there to kick out some AHLer out of the lineup, Allen is a backup goalie. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi's expectations are a little too high to my liking for this coming season but if them + Danault can all pay in the 40-50 points range while playing solid defensively then maybe it's gonna be enough as "depth" goes for a playoff spot.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Too expensive. His numbers last year were inflated playing with Peterrsson. Has good scoring sense, not great in any other area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad