Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Tyler Toffoli signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $4.25M AAV)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Benning could've technically bought out both Sutter and Baertschi and free up close to 4M at the cost of ~1.9M cap penalty for 21-22.

But idk if he knew Toffoli was going to sign for AAV like this, or if even Toffoli knew when the buyout window was open.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Ylonen may surprise. He's darn fast too. But you are right, I don't expect the Belzile, Pezzeta, Vejdemo to come up if we have better options, which we now have. God am i eager it just start!

I can't remember who said it I think it was one of the Montreal Athletic guys. But one of them claimed Ylonen was the fastest skater in the Habs org at the time. That included Mete, Byron, and Drouin. If that is correct thats wild. If ylonen at 6 feet tall is faster than mete. He has mad potential.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Because I dont think Anderson is a 1st liner? I have nothing against him and hope he succeeds but will be surprised if he is 1st line on the Habs.
Well if it makes you feel better will call Tatar danault and Gallagher Line1 . Will call drouin Suzuki and Anderson line 2 . Tofolli kk and armia line 3 . How about whatever line produces the most one night gets to be line 1 the next nite . A little healthy competition never hurts anyone .

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I can't remember who said it I think it was one of the Montreal Athletic guys. But one of them claimed Ylonen was the fastest skater in the Habs org at the time. That included Mete, Byron, and Drouin. If that is correct thats wild. If ylonen at 6 feet tall is faster than mete. He has mad potential.
He has Byron speed level, but has much better hands, passing and shooting skills, he is easily part of our top 6 prospects...

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
For what he does? lol
Anderson has never come close to do on a consistent basis anything that warrants this contract.

It's a ridiculous contract and smells of the desperation Bergevin is feeling right now.
I really think bergevin with his highly rated prospect system , 14 picks next year , great handle on the cap situation , competitive/deep / bigger roster , management backing is hardly feeling any desperation . A couple small tweak trades to restore a small bit of cap and the man can go on vacation . Desperation (lmfao)

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
With Montreal’s recent buzz created by some stellar playoff play added to the obvious respect shown to Weber and price through the league, you figure they would find one kid whose got a thirst for the big show.

some guys still wanna play in a Canadian market on Saturday night. This signing is refreshing

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Smart player with the puck, and he positions himself very well.Good hands around the net.....Watching him skate though, not a thing of beauty.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The value is okay but what is Montreal's actual plan? They always seem to have a random assortment of B-type players, no superstars or players that people pay to watch. Why not build through the draft and sign these kinds of players only when you're ready to contend?

Reactions: Gravity

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
The value is okay but what is Montreal's actual plan? They always seem to have a random assortment of B-type players, no superstars or players that people pay to watch. Why not build through the draft and sign these kinds of players only when you're ready to contend?

I mean that's kind of what they have done. The only reason the Habs are making these moves right now is because Suzuki and Kotkaniemi seem to be ready to be their 2 top centers. They also have Romanov stepping in this year who looks pretty damn good. Cole Caufield waiting to jump in the year after.

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
I mean that's kind of what they have done. The only reason the Habs are making these moves right now is because Suzuki and Kotkaniemi seem to be ready to be their 2 top centers. They also have Romanov stepping in this year who looks pretty damn good. Cole Caufield waiting to jump in the year after.
thats not a plan its a giant gamble

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
thats not a plan its a giant gamble
It is.

I keep on reading that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be the two first centers next year. I get the enthusiasm, but it's a lot to ask.

Suzuki was amazing during the playoffs. But it was a short window. During the season, he had ups and downs, had to deal with a rigorous NHL schedule. Granted, I'll be older this year, but to pencil him like a first line center already... The Habs gonna burn themselves.

And Kotkaniemi... I feel most people here either overate or underate him. The guy had a terrible season and opportunistic playoffs. He was more physical, had more energy and showed some goal scoring flair, but he was very much sheltered. In fact, for his progression, I hope Julien uses him as a third center. The goal for him is consistency.

Toffoli has a great contract, but he's a poor man's Pacioretty, but slower. If Habs fans were frustrated by Pacioretty's streaky side, they'll have to lower their expectations.

Then, Anderson. Great player. Only had one great season. Even in minors, nothing to write home about. I know, he was injured, but even healthy, he could've an off season. I love his style, but there are possibilities he'll be sub par.

Romanov now. Amazing pedigree. Can't wait to see him play. Some says he'll be alongside Weber. The kid didn't play a minute in the NHL and he's suppose to be the guy who will solidify your defense? Come on.

If those five players answer the call and play up to expectations, the Habs will be hard to stop. But what are the odds of that happening? IF Danault stays a defensive force, Gallagher scores 30, Tatar keeps on his last two seasons pace, Drouin not being this weird black hole, Price actually playing like Price (I believe Allen will help with that) and Weber not declining too much. That's a lot of ifs!

Look, if I'm a Habs fan, I'm excited. But I'm not necessarily over optimistic. This team could be second in their division or could miss the playoff. Both wouldn't surprise me.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
It is.

I keep on reading that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be the two first centers next year. I get the enthusiasm, but it's a lot to ask.

Suzuki was amazing during the playoffs. But it was a short window. During the season, he had ups and downs, had to deal with a rigorous NHL schedule. Granted, I'll be older this year, but to pencil him like a first line center already... The Habs gonna burn themselves.

And Kotkaniemi... I feel most people here either overate or underate him. The guy had a terrible season and opportunistic playoffs. He was more physical, had more energy and showed some goal scoring flair, but he was very much sheltered. In fact, for his progression, I hope Julien uses him as a third center. The goal for him is consistency.

Toffoli has a great contract, but he's a poor man's Pacioretty, but slower. If Habs fans were frustrated by Pacioretty's streaky side, they'll have to lower their expectations.

Then, Anderson. Great player. Only had one great season. Even in minors, nothing to write home about. I know, he was injured, but even healthy, he could've an off season. I love his style, but there are possibilities he'll be sub par.

Romanov now. Amazing pedigree. Can't wait to see him play. Some says he'll be alongside Weber. The kid didn't play a minute in the NHL and he's suppose to be the guy who will solidify your defense? Come on.

If those five players answer the call and play up to expectations, the Habs will be hard to stop. But what are the odds of that happening? IF Danault stays a defensive force, Gallagher scores 30, Tatar keeps on his last two seasons pace, Drouin not being this weird black hole, Price actually playing like Price (I believe Allen will help with that) and Weber not declining too much. That's a lot of ifs!

Look, if I'm a Habs fan, I'm excited. But I'm not necessarily over optimistic. This team could be second in their division or could miss the playoff. Both wouldn't surprise me.

Great post. Yep we're gambling (Bergevin is), because after Price & Weber retire it's re-tool or even rebuild time with lots of pain coming. I think TOI will be managed so that this is Danault's last or second last year with 1C minutes night in, night out. Gradual transition for Suzuki to become the 1C one or two years down the road, and Danault/KK acting as middle six centres (not sure what the lines will be).

Expect some moves next offseason as well - Allen is not here for more than a year and we have a few other ELCs possibly coming in next year in 21-22 (Caufield, Primeau.. Norlinder?). Also, if crowds are back sometime this year folks will go nuts when Andy and Toffoli score goals, as we haven't had those types of players in MTL in ages.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I have reservations about Tofu's speed in today's league, but apparently his positioning is amazing.
Now im looking forward to seeing who will be 1st, 2nd or 3rd RW.
MB has addressed our 3 top needs, IMO. Backup G, LD and RW. WTG! Considering that a backup alone could have made the difference between making the playoffs or not in the last few years, I'd say I am confident in making the playoffs this year (prediction)

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Great post. Yep we're gambling (Bergevin is), because after Price & Weber retire it's re-tool or even rebuild time with lots of pain coming. I think TOI will be managed so that this is Danault's last or second last year with 1C minutes night in, night out. Gradual transition for Suzuki to become the 1C one or two years down the road, and Danault/KK acting as middle six centres (not sure what the lines will be).

Expect some moves next offseason as well - Allen is not here for more than a year and we have a few other ELCs possibly coming in next year in 21-22 (Caufield, Primeau.. Norlinder?). Also, if crowds are back sometime this year folks will go nuts when Andy and Toffoli score goals, as we haven't had those types of players in MTL in ages.
I think any notion of a painful rebuild is wildly incorrect . With young quality and quantity it’ll be very smooth

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I think any notion of a painful rebuild is wildly incorrect . With young quality and quantity it’ll be very smooth

You are more optimistic than I am on Primeau's ability to become Carey Price. Our D should be good for years, but Suzuki will get paid massively at some point and Price will not be replaced "fully" by Cayden Primeau. I don't think they're the same kind of talent. After Price goes, significant changes will be made as I see it.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I am very optimistic Every year it seems like a lot of goalies change teams . Primeau can be part of a 1a 1B tandem

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
It is.

Great post!

Reactions: Narg98

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It is.

Suzuki was very consistent last season. He kept earning more and more minutes all year long. He was showing great IQ and poise, shifty guy too, but not afraid to mix it up. Has future all-star written all over him. Not much concern about him, almost unfair to lump him in with Kotkaniemi.

Kotkaniemi is still the bigger question mark but he had a tough season last year, setup to fail. Came into camp injured, I forget what, groin or something. Was a lot of talk he wasn't training properly. re-aggravated it a month later. Comes back, concussion a few weeks later. Just comes back and season ends. But then with the 4 month break he heals up, gets a better training program, and looks faster, stronger and very assertive in playoff round. We're hoping that's the real guy, when healthy and filling in his frame with power, and a game he will build on for next year because he is a very legit NHL centre in that form and lots of upside.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Suzuki was very consistent last season. He kept earning more and more minutes all year long. He was showing great IQ and poise, shifty guy too, but not afraid to mix it up. Has future all-star written all over him. Not much concern about him, almost unfair to lump him in with Kotkaniemi.

I'm not really concerned about Suzuki since he has incredible talent, but the previous poster was right, Suzuki wasn't very consistent as you said. He had 1pt in his last 10 games (and -7) and Julien said Nick seemed tired.

That being said, he has all the talent to be a true #1 center but it's still a "if"

Reactions: Narg98

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
It is.

You're listening to the wrong posters. What you describe isn't a belief held by realistic fans. The truth is that Danault will continue to be the team's #1 centre until Suzuki can surpass him. The spot won't come giftwrapped. You think Kotkaniemi should be on the third line? Good news! That's where he's going to start. Romanov next to Weber? Maybe in two years. He'll probably play a significant amount of time in the AHL this year. The current top 4 is Chiarot-Weber and Romanov-Petry. Toffoli is there to give Kotkaniemi a linemate who can score more than 10 goals a season. He needed someone with enough talent to convert some of the beautiful passes he makes. His talent was being wasted on Lehkonen and he had no chemistry with Byron. Anderson is mostly there to provide the Habs with a bruising winger with enough talent to score a few here and there. It'll be up to him to create space, and it'll be up to Drouin-Suzuki to put up points. I don't like the contract, but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad