Speculation: MTL scouting the Islanders?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
IF JT won't commit until there is certainty with an arena deal... then NO ufa of consequence will commit until there is certainty with an arena deal. So really, any hypotheticals of UFA signing to replace or dampen the loss of Tavares are probably less likely then Tavares himself signing. He at the very least knows and likes the area. Most NHLers are clueless to life on Long Island.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
That's absolute best case scenario. You're not going to get all those players. You'd be lucky to get 1. That's why teams tend to lock up their own players, even if they're flawed... because the alternative, if everything doesn't work out perfectly, is horrifying. Redo the lineup with only Turris as your get, along with a few scrub UFAs, then evaluate.

It would be very nauseating with just Turris

Lee/Turris/Eberle
Nelson/Barzal/JHS
Ladd/Cizikas/Beau
MDC/Quine/Clutter

Forwards not awful, but defense ouch

Leddy/Boychuk
Pelech/Pulock (have fun Butch with that)
Towes/Mayfield

Greiss/Gibson

That is a 65 point team

Reactions: IODCPiper

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Would you guys give us Barzal and Pullock and Ho-sang and a 1st for Max Pac, Shea Weber and lekonen?

I value Weber more than most and Max Pac, I do like, but if the Isles don't sign JT, we are really rebuilding... so it makes no sense, way too many futures going one way

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Talk about a guy not understanding how the cap works with that trade scenario.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Would you guys give us Barzal and Pullock and Ho-sang and a 1st for Max Pac, Shea Weber and lekonen?
C1mGBSvWEAANu9k.jpg

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Trade incoming?! :laugh:

Was hoping he would be asked about the Habs GM,showing up at so many NYI games.
I know there is a new rumor.Friedman is saying the Habs want Pulock, but that is a head scratcher.
A struggling D prospect out of waiver options.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If it's Pulock, he's only part of a deal they are looking into. Why would Bergevin come across the country to scout a player in the press box? CDH fits one of their big needs, and can have his next contract negotiated. Their other, and biggest need is down the middle.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say if something is going to happen between these two teams, it will be between 10/24 when the Habs play Florida, and 10/26 when the Habs play LA. I say that because it's the 9 game mark for Victor Mete, they will have to decide to keep him up and burn a year on his ELC or send him down and lose their top pairing LHD (this is where CDH comes in). If they decide to keep Mete up, no trade will happen.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don't think Snow has interest in paying another non #1 defenseman 4-5m+ per. Calvin is being outplayed by both Pelech and Mayfield who also happen to be younger and much cheaper. It might not make sense now, but at the end of this year and next it will make a lot of sense. Tavares, Lee, Eberle and Bailey are all going to be looking for big money, then you've got Nelson coming off his contract while Beauvillier, Ho-Sang and Barzal come off their ELC's.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't think Snow has interest in paying another non #1 defenseman 4-5m+ per. Calvin is being outplayed by both Pelech and Mayfield who also happen to be younger and much cheaper. It might not make sense now, but at the end of this year and next it will make a lot of sense. Tavares, Lee, Eberle and Bailey are all going to be looking for big money, then you've got Nelson coming off his contract while Beauvillier, Ho-Sang and Barzal come off their ELC's.

This would make sense if they can determine how NHL ready Toews is... they will lose HIckey and Seids next year, and those 2 will be gone. So if they deal CDH now, they are dealing CDH at a high and will carry 7 dmen instead of 8 and you bring Toews up with first longer term injury

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Don’t think this isn’t the right thread to ask but since we’re on the topic of defenseman, are there any notable free agents after the season? I could see Snow moving someone like CDH/Hickey and let the other one along with Seidenberg go at the end of the year, then sign a top four d-man in the offseason and roll with Leddy, Boychuk, Pelech, Mayfield, and Toews as the other five. Would be a pretty inexperienced blue line but depending on who we bring in it wouldn’t look too bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->