Confirmed Trade: [MTL/OTT] Jakov Novak for future considerations

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yes, but they would need the teams permission to sign with other teams AHL and NHL franchises, as the Sens still hold their rights. They were told, in all likelihood, that they can find their way with whomever they want, and if anything comes up the Sens will transfer the rights.

But yes, if the Leafs want to get the rights to Tychonik, will likely take a 10 second email and the words Tychonik/Future Considerations.
Oh, I'm sure the player/agent and the team definitely talked about it, but there isn't a transfer agreement between the AHL and NHL, so permission wouldn't be needed there, technically.

Yeah, a f.c. trade could be done easily, I'm sure if both teams wanted it

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Oh, I'm sure the player/agent and the team definitely talked about it, but there isn't a transfer agreement between the AHL and NHL, so permission wouldn't be needed there, technically.

Yeah, a f.c. trade could be done easily, I'm sure if both teams wanted it
Absolutely, that's what I'm saying. Sens allowed Tychonik to sign there last season, because it was agreed that they won't be signing him and he is able to look around the league to find a spot.

Whether there was a dotted I or crossed T missed remains to be seen, but with absolute certainty the Sens let Tychonik know they weren't signing him and he has permission to sign elsewhere.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Next, Jakov Smirnoff.
7z5i2f.jpg

Reactions: gritdash60 and BLNY

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They wouldn't need the team's permission to sign in a League without a transfer agreement, but if they did, they'd become defected players.
That would be why the rights didn't actually expire in August.
If the Sens gave them permission with the intent of relinquishing their rights, the Sens either tricked the player or tricked themselves haha

I'll take that a step further and clarify the Player doesn't need the NHL team's permission to sign in any league (other than the NHL), regardless of whether that league has a transfer agreement or not.

The transfer agreement only determines how long a team's rights to the player last.

Reactions: uncleben

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Questions for you guys:
How does the future consideration work exactly.

Say for example Novak explodes for some reason and becomes a 50 goal scorer for Montreal this year.

Habs then have to send some player over to the Sens... Will they ask for a star prospect or 1st rounder since Novak is so good?

I'm curious... (and I know this won't happen), but if such a scenario were to happen who then becomes the future consideration player/package?
That would need to happen next season for something useful to he exchanged.

What future considerations likely is is the Habs buying the sens some beer, or next year, two years from now, sometime the sens ask the Habs for a similar prospect, or maybe the sens have a player signed to league minimum, but want to move out a contract to sign someone else, so Montreal then takes that player on for free.

More often than not fc becomes nothing

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'll take that a step further and clarify the Player doesn't need the NHL team's permission to sign in any league (other than the NHL), regardless of whether that league has a transfer agreement or not.

The transfer agreement only determines how long a team's rights to the player last.
Interesting!
I thought the transfer agreement forced leagues to honour contracts (barring an agreed upon loan)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting!
I thought the transfer agreement forced leagues to honour contracts (barring an agreed upon loan)

I was speaking of players not under NHL contract, but whose NHL rights are held by a team such as Novak.

For example we’ve seen some qualified RFA’s choose to return to Europe after their ELC’s expire, with the NHL team continuing to hold their RFA rights.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Sure, works for me. Side question, has future considerations ever actual manifested itself into something later on?
Peter White was his own future considerations in 2002.

"We will trade you Peter White for future considerations, with the future consideration being that if we ask you have to loan us Peter White".

Last season Chicago sent minor-league forward Peter White to Philadelphia for future considerations. White, a former NHL journeyman, is married to the daughter of Flyers GM Bobby Clarke. White left Philly as a free agent two years ago because he was playing there for the Phantoms, the Flyers' minor-league team. He saw Chicago as a better opportunity, but he soon wound up with the Hawks' farm team at Norfolk of the American Hockey League.

White, 34, was homesick for his family, which remained in Philly. Smith, the Hawks GM, was sympathetic and would have simply lent White to the Philly-based Phantoms. But White might be needed in Norfolk for the AHL playoffs. And AHL rules ban a team from lending a player out during the regular season and then having him lent back for the postseason.

But in a wacky loophole, if a player is officially traded away, his new AHL team is allowed to lend him back to the old team. So Smith agreed to trade White back to Philly, with this future consideration that Clarke had to lend his son-in-law back to Norfolk if needed there in the postseason. Which he was.

"So basically,'' said a Flyers source, "he got traded for himself.''

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Probably not, consider this a favour from a rich club helping a small club shed some salary and save a few bucks I guess.
What salary?

He never signed a contract with Ottawa, and actually signed with Laval earlier this summer.

The only benefit (?) for Ottawa is lowering their Reserve List to 63 rather than 64 players.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He was on their Reserve List.
That has nothing to do with a contract though spot though.

He was there under an indefinite designation, because he has signed elsewhere prior to his rights expiring.

Igor Mirinov is still on their reserve list with the same designation, he was drafted in 03’, is 38 years old, has never left Russia, and had been retired since 2019.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Peter White was his own future considerations in 2002.

"We will trade you Peter White for future considerations, with the future consideration being that if we ask you have to loan us Peter White".

John Tucker was also traded for himself. Buffalo traded him to Washington for future considerations. He was traded back to Buffalo the next summer to fulfill the prior trade. For future considerations.

Reactions: BurgoShark

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Sure, works for me. Side question, has future considerations ever actual manifested itself into something later on?
Andy Bezeau would officially be traded to the K-Wings for "future considerations", which ended up being two equipment dryers that used to be part of the Phoenix Roadrunners organization.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
That has nothing to do with a contract though spot though.

He was there under an indefinite designation, because he has signed elsewhere prior to his rights expiring.

Igor Mirinov is still on their reserve list with the same designation, he was drafted in 03’, is 38 years old, has never left Russia, and had been retired since 2019.
So you're saying he's a long shot to make the opening night roster then?

• Haha

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
During the Dubas era i bought a "FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS" leafs jersey. I had it custom made so the number on the back was "5'9". I'm glad Future Considerations still has a shot in the NHL.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Novak played with Kent Hughes' son at Northeastern. Canadiens GM Hughes seems to like giving favours to people close to him, hiring Lecavalier (biggest client when he was an agent), overspending on Newhook (Another client as an agent), and now Novak.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Novak played with Kent Hughes' son at Northeastern. Canadiens GM Hughes seems to like giving favours to people close to him, hiring Lecavalier (biggest client when he was an agent), overspending on Newhook (Another client as an agent), and now Novak.
Kent Hughes when there's no more form clients, or people who've played with his son to draft, or sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad