Confirmed Trade: [MTL/OTT] Jakov Novak for future considerations

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He signed to Laval at the beginning of the summer so now Montreal has the ability to sign him to an NHL deal and call him up

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
all-right-then-jakov.gif

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Novak is a big boy (6'4), almost 25, who had an up and down college career. Kinda surprised if MTL wants to sign him to an NHL deal, but maybe he's a late bloomer who will thrive in the A and earn it down the road.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Sure, works for me. Side question, has future considerations ever actual manifested itself into something later on?
In the modern NHL, nothing that is ever explicitly stated, really, no.
The closest would be when an NHL deal that is for "future considerations" happens simultaneously with an AHL deal between the two affiliates, as well.

Beyond that, it's mostly just doing favours and getting in good books; relationship building sort of things. Maybe in the future a GM will let the other team talking to a pending UFA with their permission, or they will trade a 7th rounder for one next year, that sort of thing, but it's never actually tied back to the original "future considerations" trade

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think they may have had to do this to allow him to play in the rookie tournament. He would have been playing for the Habs team against Ottawa which would have been really weird.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
In the modern NHL, nothing that is ever explicitly stated, really, no.
The closest would be when an NHL deal is for "future considerations" happens simultaneously with an AHL deal between the two affiliates, as well.

Beyond that, it's mostly just doing favours and getting in good books; relationship building sort of things. Maybe in the future a GM will let the other team talking to a pending UFA with their permission, or they will trade a 7th rounder for one next year, that sort of thing, but it's never actually tied back to the original "future considerations" trade
Ya my Google search found nothing on paper since 2004 so was curious if anyone remembered a trade of future considerations being finalized.

Reactions: uncleben

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This feels like the definition of a paper shuffling sort of trade. I'm sure there's some housekeeping that needed taking care of regarding his status with Laval and/or the rookie tournament or camp or something...but what? :laugh:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I think they may have had to do this to allow him to play in the rookie tournament. He would have been playing for the Habs team against Ottawa which would have been really weird.
That would make sense, but...

Jonny Tychonick is attending Leafs rookie camp, despite still being Sens property (though they don't play against each other in this camp)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That would make sense, but...

Jonny Tychonick is attending Leafs rookie camp, despite still being Sens property (though they don't play against each other in this camp)

Teams can invite players to rookie camp even if they don’t hold NHL rights to the player.

Not sure if the rules for the “rookie tournament” are any different?

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad