Confirmed Trade: [MTL/OTT] Jakov Novak for future considerations

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That would make sense, but...

Jonny Tychonick is attending Leafs rookie camp, despite still being Sens property (though they don't play against each other in this camp)

Why wouldn't he just come to Ottawa's camp?

I hear they invited a bunch of randoms they don't have rights to to fill out spots.. but then their own guys are going to other teams camps?

Can someone have this make sense to me? Why aren't these players going to the rookie camp/tournament of the team that holds their rights? Why isn't it only undrafted and unsigned guys that get invites to other teams camps?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Why wouldn't he just come to Ottawa's camp?

I hear they invited a bunch of randoms they don't have rights to to fill out spots.. but then their own guys are going to other teams camps?

Can someone have this make sense to me? Why aren't these players going to the rookie camp/tournament of the team that holds their rights? Why isn't it only undrafted and unsigned guys that get invites to other teams camps?
Not as sure on Novak's case, but Tychonick didn't want to sign with Ottawa. He actually finished up college and signed with Toronto's AHL affiliate at the end of last year (actual contract, not an ATO).

He was set to become a UFA this offseason, having finished his college, but somehow, and the details haven't come out, Ottawa was able to extend his right indefinitely. I think the idea is that the NHL doesn't technically have a transfer deal with the AHL, so by Tychonick turning pro and signing a contract in the AHL, Ottawa was able to declare him a defected player, and hold onto his rights as if he went to another league without an agreement, like the KHL.
Ottawa must still like him as a prospect instead of relinquishing his rights, cause now if he wants to play in the NHL he has to go to Ottawa. He cannot sign for Toronto or any other team.

For Tychonick to then accept a tryout with the Leafs has either fall down to one of two things: 1) Rookie Camps aren't actually "League" events, so the player's rights don't actually matter OR 2) The Leafs needed special permission to sign him to a try-out
I'm going to guess the first may be true...

As for Novak.
Similar situation, but still some speculation. Novak played for Ottawa's ECHL affiliate at the end of last year in a similar boat to Tychonick - end of college and was a pending UFA on August 15. BUT then before August 15, Novak signed with Montreal's AHL affiliate, so I can only assume Ottawa retained his rights as a defected player in the same manner.
Obviously when Montreal expressed further interest, though, they decided to let the player pursue that option

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Probably not, consider this a favour from a rich club helping a small club shed some salary and save a few bucks I guess.
In this case he already signed with Laval and Ottawa basically told him they have no interest in signing him. This allows Montreal to sign him and call him up if he somehow improves. He played with Struble and Harris previously so there is a lot of familiarity with that crew and Kent Hughes since his son was team mates with all of them as well as Martin St. Louis' son.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not as sure on Novak's case, but Tychonick didn't want to sign with Ottawa. He actually finished up college and signed with Toronto's AHL affiliate at the end of last year (actual contract, not an ATO).

He was set to become a UFA this offseason, having finished his college, but somehow, and the details haven't come out, Ottawa was able to extend his right indefinitely. I think the idea is that the NHL doesn't technically have a transfer deal with the AHL, so by Tychonick turning pro and signing a contract in the AHL, Ottawa was able to declare him a defected player, and hold onto his rights as if he went to another league without an agreement, like the KHL.
Ottawa must still like him as a prospect instead of relinquishing his rights, cause now if he wants to play in the NHL he has to go to Ottawa. He cannot sign for Toronto or any other team.

For Tychonick to then accept a tryout with the Leafs has either fall down to one of two things: 1) Rookie Camps aren't actually "League" events, so the player's rights don't actually matter OR 2) The Leafs needed special permission to sign him to a try-out
I'm going to guess the first may be true...

As for Novak.
Similar situation, but still some speculation. Novak played for Ottawa's ECHL affiliate at the end of last year in a similar boat to Tychonick - end of college and was a pending UFA on August 15. BUT then before August 15, Novak signed with Montreal's AHL affiliate, so I can only assume Ottawa retained his rights as a defected player in the same manner.
Obviously when Montreal expressed further interest, though, they decided to let the player pursue that option
Sens have been out on Tychonik for over 2/3 years, essentially since leaving for Omaha; they were never signing him and he knew that, same with Jakov. Sens never even attempted to sign either. The fact they were signed before their rights expired mid August is the reason they are in perpetuity with the Sens; and shows that they were completely fine letting them go elsewhere. It has nothing to do with the Sens wanting or liking them.

They each had an extra full season in the NCAA, 5 years of playing seasons, they have not been in the Sens plans since 2021 at the absolute latest.

They got lost in the shuffle of the extra season of rights, because of the added season they got from Covid.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hughes liked acquiring players that he was their agent for, coached, or played with his son, so this deal just seems natural.

Ottawa gets fc and Montreal gets a player who played with Hughes' son.
Ottawa actually gets nothing except clearing a roster spot I guess as nothing has ever materialized since 2004 for a player that has been traded for FC.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Questions for you guys:
How does the future consideration work exactly.

Say for example Novak explodes for some reason and becomes a 50 goal scorer for Montreal this year.

Habs then have to send some player over to the Sens... Will they ask for a star prospect or 1st rounder since Novak is so good?

I'm curious... (and I know this won't happen), but if such a scenario were to happen who then becomes the future consideration player/package?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sure, works for me. Side question, has future considerations ever actual manifested itself into something later on?

In the modern NHL, nothing that is ever explicitly stated, really, no.
The closest would be when an NHL deal that is for "future considerations" happens simultaneously with an AHL deal between the two affiliates, as well.

Ya my Google search found nothing on paper since 2004 so was curious if anyone remembered a trade of future considerations being finalized.

Probably not, consider this a favour from a rich club helping a small club shed some salary and save a few bucks I guess.

I'm not so sure about that. Carolina traded Future Considerations to Vegas last year for Pacioretty and Vegas parlayed that into a Stanley Cup. :teach2:

• Haha

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He has no salary, he has nothing to do with Ottawa other than them not wanting to offer him a contract

Sens are doing the Habs a favor

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Haha, man, you are so clueless its hilarious. Just brick after brick after brick for years on end. Please never stop.

Ottawa is not and never has paid a cent to Novak. This is Ottawa doing a favour to Novak and the Habs farm system.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Sens have been out on Tychonik for over 2/3 years, essentially since leaving for Omaha; they were never signing him and he knew that, same with Jakov. Sens never even attempted to sign either. The fact they were signed before their rights expired mid August is the reason they are in perpetuity with the Sens; and shows that they were completely fine letting them go elsewhere. It has nothing to do with the Sens wanting or liking them.

They each had an extra full season in the NCAA, 5 years of playing seasons, they have not been in the Sens plans since 2021 at the absolute latest.

They got lost in the shuffle of the extra season of rights, because of the added season they got from Covid.
I feel like there's some a bunch of details behind the scenes that don't get laid out in the CBA for things like these, but I think OTT could have just relinquished their rights instead of holding the prospect indefinitely. It probably didn't matter as they're not close to their 90 man reserve list limit anyway though, so just let it happen

But if both the player and OTT have moved on from the relationship, I wonder if we will see a similar trade for Tychonick at some point (if he does alright with the Marlies)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Questions for you guys:
How does the future consideration work exactly.

Say for example Novak explodes for some reason and becomes a 50 goal scorer for Montreal this year.

Habs then have to send some player over to the Sens... Will they ask for a star prospect or 1st rounder since Novak is so good?

I'm curious... (and I know this won't happen), but if such a scenario were to happen who then becomes the future consideration player/package?
In a case like this "future considerations" is NOTHING. It was just a goodwill gesture on the Sens part to give a guy a spot in a different organization. And to make a trade of player rights, you have to list something going back. Future Considerations. Zero in this case, regardless of what happens with Novak.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I feel like there's some a bunch of details behind the scenes that don't get laid out in the CBA for things like these, but I think OTT could have just relinquished their rights instead of holding the prospect indefinitely. It probably didn't matter as they're not close to their 90 man reserve list limit anyway though, so just let it happen

But if both the player and OTT have moved on from the relationship, I wonder if we will see a similar trade for Tychonick at some point (if he does alright with the Marlies)
I'd imagine if the Leafs want to make it happen the future considerations trade would be done whenever they wanted, makes zero differenced to the Sens, Tychonik hasn't been, for all intensive purposes, a member of the organization since 2019, that was the last time he attended a development camp. Novak, at the very least, attended in 2022.

They relinquished the rights of Romeo, Lattimer and Roger prior to June 1st because that was the deadline, all were drafted in 2021 and were all able to reenter the draft. Their rights expired June 1st, so they were just let go. They were 19, 19 and 20.

Novak and Tychonik were drafted in 2018, and each played 5 seasons in the NCAA. Normally, NCAA has a 4 year playing limit, but with covid each were given an extra year. The rights to these kind of players don't expire until mid August, which is why teams have to wait to sign the NCAA free agents who don't sign with their team. In the case of Novak and Tychonik, they were given permission by the Sens to sign wherever, as they were not interested in offering them a contract or AHL deal. If that permission wasn't given, they would not have been allowed to sign anywhere until their rights expired.

They intended on letting their rights expire, they just weren't going out of their way to relinquish both, as it's pretty meaningless for them

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'd imagine if the Leafs want to make it happen the future considerations trade would be done whenever they wanted, makes zero differenced to the Sens, Tychonik hasn't been, for all intensive purposes, a member of the organization since 2019, that was the last time he attended a development camp. Novak, at the very least, attended in 2022.

They relinquished the rights of Romeo, Lattimer and Roger prior to June 1st because that was the deadline, all were drafted in 2021 and were all able to reenter the draft. Their rights expired June 1st, so they were just let go. They were 19, 19 and 20.

Novak and Tychonik were drafted in 2018, and each played 5 seasons in the NCAA. Normally, NCAA has a 4 year playing limit, but with covid each were given an extra year. The rights to these kind of players don't expire until mid August, which is why teams have to wait to sign the NCAA free agents who don't sign with their team. In the case of Novak and Tychonik, they were given permission by the Sens to sign wherever, as they were not interested in offering them a contract or AHL deal. If that permission wasn't given, they would not have been allowed to sign anywhere until their rights expired.

They intended on letting their rights expire, they just weren't going out of their way to relinquish both, as it's pretty meaningless for them
They wouldn't need the team's permission to sign in a League without a transfer agreement, but if they did, they'd become defected players.
That would be why the rights didn't actually expire in August.
If the Sens gave them permission with the intent of relinquishing their rights, the Sens either tricked the player or tricked themselves haha

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They wouldn't need the team's permission to sign in a League without a transfer agreement, but if they did, they'd become defected players.
That would be why the rights didn't actually expire in August.
If the Sens gave them permission with the intent of relinquishing their rights, the Sens either tricked the player or tricked themselves haha
Yes, but they would need the teams permission to sign with other teams AHL and NHL franchises, as the Sens still hold their rights. They were told, in all likelihood, that they can find their way with whomever they want, and if anything comes up the Sens will transfer the rights.

But yes, if the Leafs want to get the rights to Tychonik, will likely take a 10 second email and the words Tychonik/Future Considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00