MTL-NYI

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I just can’t see it making sense for the Isles. Leddy is signed longer, only makes .6mil more and plays what is widely considered a more important position.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand that Patches is a superior offensive talent as to the rest of that group. Isles are being asked to trade 3 roster players for two with one being a complete question mark. This is essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul.

While I do agree that Patches is better offensively than Nelson and Galchenyuk holds more value offensively as opposed to Beau, I don't think this makes up for the fact that you are trading the Iseles 2 and 3C for a winger and a player that may not be a C. Now if Barzal is in fact ready to stay as a 2C the 3C hole for NYI may not be that big of a deal I don't know their roster as much as I would like to. But all of that being said that's a large complication with throwing Leddy on top of that who is hands down their best defensive piece.

In terms of adding talent around JT to keep him removing Leddy from the backhand is a step backwards.

I don't think Patch is available if you don't want to pony up. Just like Duchene. If you want to add to your top 6, you are going to pay a price with your youth and draft picks.

If Hanzal can get a 1st and 2nd as a UFA rental. Just imagine what Patch at $4.5M for 2 years gets?

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
A UFA+2nd for Galchenyuk? How kind of you.
You really think that Galchenyuk is worth Leddy? I'd add deHaan and make the 2nd conditional; if he doesn't re-sign it turns to a first. If he's not helping you, you could always flip him at the deadline. That's about as much as I'd be willing to go though. Galchenyuk is inconsistent at best and somehow ended up as a fourth-liner on an anemic offense.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
My guess is that if there is a trade it will be something like:

To Montreal: Brock Nelson, Andrew Ladd (with 20% retention), Anthony Beauvillier

To New York Islanders: Alex Galchenyuk, Paul Byron, 2o18 2nd rounder.

Ladd seems like such a Bergevin type of pickup with his character and former Hawk connection. Basically the Habs take on his contract for Nelson and Beauvillier while the Isles get a young offensive player that is signed and some cap relief to help re-sign Tavares without destroying their core.

That is a not a good deal for Montreal. The Ladd contract is one that no team should have too many of. There's a fair argument that Montreal has its share already. That alone is a deal breaker, for me. Especially if Ladd would take Byron's spot in the lineup.

Nelson is an interesting player, but he has to re-sign next year. Thus, he represents a potential bad contract. That is no slight to the player. But the question of his value in a trade for Galchenyuk turns in part on his next contract. At 2.5M, a good player, probably very underrated. At 5M with term (let's assume), expected to help solve Montreal's centre problem, he's not the same player.

I think Beauvillier would be the key, depending on how real scouts would see his upside. I am certainly not a real scout, but I like him. If it's him plus Nelson or De Haan, then I maybe roll the dice as Montreal and accept the possibility that Galchenyuk goes bonkers and scores 30-35g regularly. (But as a hockey fan I would be covered for this year, since I took Galchenyuk in my pool.)

Last point, I don't think Galchenyuk is going to land a fantastic return. It won't be for a potential superstar or wowwww package of prospects and draft picks. If he gets a solid roster player and a future, then that would probably be as good as it gets right now. The alternative scenario, more risky in a different way, would be a trading places with another young player who hasn't consistently matched their potential yet. Like Bennett mentioned in another thread, or maybe Murray or possibly Jenner, if he fixes his back.

If Montreal can't even make those kinds of deals -- or thinks that they aren't good enough to make -- then the answer is simply to play him and find a way to get him to be the player that they would want a trading partner to see him as being. (And at that point, maybe just keep him?)

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
That is a not a good deal for Montreal. The Ladd contract is one that no team should have too many of. There's a fair argument that Montreal has its share already. That alone is a deal breaker, for me. Especially if Ladd would take Byron's spot in the lineup.

Nelson is an interesting player, but he has to re-sign next year. Thus, he represents a potential bad contract. That is no slight to the player. But the question of his value in a trade for Galchenyuk turns in part on his next contract. At 2.5M, a good player, probably very underrated. At 5M with term (let's assume), expected to help solve Montreal's centre problem, he's not the same player.

I think Beauvillier would be the key, depending on how real scouts would see his upside. I am certainly not a real scout, but I like him. If it's him plus Nelson or De Haan, then I maybe roll the dice as Montreal and accept the possibility that Galchenyuk goes bonkers and scores 30-35g regularly. (But as a hockey fan I would be covered for this year, since I took Galchenyuk in my pool.)

Last point, I don't think Galchenyuk is going to land a fantastic return. It won't be for a potential superstar or wowwww package of prospects and draft picks. If he gets a solid roster player and a future, then that would probably be as good as it gets right now. The alternative scenario, more risky in a different way, would be a trading places with another young player who hasn't consistently matched their potential yet. Like Bennett mentioned in another thread, or maybe Murray or possibly Jenner, if he fixes his back.

If Montreal can't even make those kinds of deals -- or thinks that they aren't good enough to make -- then the answer is simply to play him and find a way to get him to be the player that they would want a trading partner to see him as being. (And at that point, maybe just keep him?)

See I truly understand where you're coming from here and I mostly agree. What I'm trying to do is figure out how Bergevin is thinking and the moves he may make. I think he'd take the Ladd contract to get a center with size and an up and coming French player that oozes talent. Remember the Habs have about 8.5 million in free cap space. I agree that's in an albatross, but when you figure that Ladd has the character that Bergevin seems to prize above all, has good size and has the old Chicago connection? I don't think its outside the realm of possibility. In fact it seems to me that's exactly what he would go for... now throw in the fact that he'd have a center with size (Nelson) and another potential Franco superstar down the road in Beauvillier, and Bergevin would have bought his way out of the hot seat with the media. Just my thoughts, I may be way out to lunch.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
See I truly understand where you're coming from here and I mostly agree. What I'm trying to do is figure out how Bergevin is thinking and the moves he may make. I think he'd take the Ladd contract to get a center with size and an up and coming French player that oozes talent. Remember the Habs have about 8.5 million in free cap space. I agree that's in an albatross, but when you figure that Ladd has the character that Bergevin seems to prize above all, has good size and has the old Chicago connection? I don't think its outside the realm of possibility. In fact it seems to me that's exactly what he would go for... now throw in the fact that he'd have a center with size (Nelson) and another potential Franco superstar down the road in Beauvillier, and Bergevin would have bought his way out of the hot seat with the media. Just my thoughts, I may be way out to lunch.

Yes, I see what you're saying. I wouldn't put it past Bergevin to make that kind of deal. But I hope he wouldn't.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So you want to give up a skilled offensive fwd asset for an offensive d asset-to take the place of an already offensive dman??? Makes 0 sense.

We dont need a more offensive dman to replace Mete. We need more offense coming from our forwards. Leddy doesnt address that.

Dude, a Leddy-Weber pairing would absolutely demolish everyone out there. Plus, there's still a chance Mete gets sent back to London.

And currently we aren't getting much offense from Chucky since he isn't given the opportunity to do so. If things aren't changing in how he's being used, he has to go. It's better for both him and the team.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Someone posted on the Habs forum of a blockbuster trade. I think Montreal shores up the defense but hurts their offense, Vice Versa for the Isles.

:habs

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty

:isles

Beauvillier
Nelson
Leddy

What do Isles fans think?

We think that way too many trades are being proposed by Habs' fans.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Struggled in 2017?? Lol. It's 6 games in!

Lol, dense comment!

16-17
He struggle half of last season, you know, right after that injury when he was top10 in scoring.

17-18
6 games in, he's indeed struggling

jackrabbitjohansen

Jun 6, 2017
how about we send you some Petry to fill your Leddy defence gap, we got some Pacioretty too, you know replace Galch with Paccio you get a super good value
so Petry + Pacio for Leddy +Beau+Nelson

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
as suggested on radio.

NYI gets: Alex Galchenyuk
MTL gets: Nick Leddy
Didn't Dreger report just days ago, that Galchenyuk's trade value was so low, that Montreal was taking him off the market until they could build up his trade value?
It does not matter how many fantasy trades the Montreal media suggest.
Gachenyuk does not come close to landing Leddy.
Thanks though for the laugh

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
how about we send you some Petry to fill your Leddy defence gap, we got some Pacioretty too, you know replace Galch with Paccio you get a super good value
so Petry + Pacio for Leddy +Beau+Nelson
Zero interest in downgrading from Leddy to Petry.
And no.Pacio as the key to a Leddy trade hold very little appeal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad