Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Josh Anderson signs extension (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Well, it's not like Clarkson scored 30 and then 15 in 48 games before inking his colossal flop of a contract with Toronto. That occurred before the game got to it's current speed and when the belief was that peak career performance started at 27, not like now where that window is 22-24.

Bergevin gave too much salary for too long of a term to Anderson who has not played one game for his team. It's a bad contract that will go down as a terrible signing unless Anderson unearths some new skills at age of 26 or beyond. "Muscle" to protect your smaller player can be found a hell of a lot cheaper via free agency without have to trade your 2nd highest scorer over the past two seasons.

For the sake of Habs fans, I hope Anderson proves me wrong but history shows signings of this nature with excessive term never work out well.

Lol peak performance is at 22-24? What a dumb idea that is.

Anderson is not "muscle to protect our smaller players". Where do you come up with this crap? He's not a goon he's a goal scoring power forward. Our team isn't even particularly small.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Lol Habs invested a lot in a guy with 1 good yr coming off injury
This is true.
I'm sure health wise the guy is in top condition or the Habs would have not made the deal.
Like you said in our eyes it seems very strange, Hopefully the pros being paid for this has seen something that we didn't. Time will tell.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
the term is part of the contract. hes a hard working, tough player who is capable of 20 goals. thats not worth 5.5, but even if it is they have tied themselves in to a guy for 7 years that already had a big shoulder injury which cut him down production wise big time
How generous. Capable of 20 goals when he has a 27 under his belt and entering his prime.:facepalm:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Can’t wait until Anderson makes all you fools eat crow. Dude is a beast. This isn’t Clarkson, this is one of the best size/speed combos in hockey- who also competes hard, plays physical, and pots goals.

locking him up through his prime was a great move.
Through his prime? 26-33?

His prime already was, sorry.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Can’t wait until Anderson makes all you fools eat crow. Dude is a beast. This isn’t Clarkson, this is one of the best size/speed combos in hockey- who also competes hard, plays physical, and pots goals.

Anderson is good and probably 10x more talented than Clarkson ever was but the contract is questionable. You just don't sign an unproven player to a 7 year contract. It doesn't make sense.

People comparing him and Clarkson probably never seen either player enough to judge. Clarkson had little skills and most of his goals were rebounds from being at the right place.

Time will tell

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I’m going to say that I love Anderson and what he potentially could bring as a power forward. However, signing him to a long term contract before ever playing a single game, coming off a bad year due to injury, is a huge mistake. Fairly recent history for power forwards shows this.
Remember Backes, Ladd, Okposo, all signed long term deals and ended up being anchors to their teams.
The much more prudent move would have been to let him play the
year on a “show me” contract
, and than make a longer term deal if warranted. NHL salaries for the next few years will definitely be lower due to depressed revenues, so why the rush, especially right before free agency where some good players are available at discounted prices.
The bolded would bring him right to UFA, that is literally the worst contract the Habs could've offered. Well done buddy.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I'm excited of what Anderson can bring to the team.

I believe playing with Suzuki will help open up the ice for Nick and allow him to do more of his magic.

Or play him with Kotka 2.0 and have them hit everything that moves! A heavy playing line.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
You lost all credibility when you took that sentence literally and missed the greater point being made.
Nah man I gotta go with him on that one.

You made an ass of yourself and now your trying to dig yourself out of it.

Your 4 point stupid stupid comment was part of the point you were trying to make which was dumb as well.

Reactions: draft day

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Nah man I gotta go with him on that one.

You made an ass of yourself and now your trying to dig yourself out of it.

Your 4 point stupid stupid comment was part of the point you were trying to make which was dumb as well.
I agree .

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Funny seeing some habs fans trying to justify that horrible contract. Somehow Anderson is now a modern day Cam Neely.

7 years. :facepalm:

Enjoy losing Gallagher or signing him to an insane contract.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Funny seeing some habs fans trying to justify that horrible contract. Somehow Anderson is now a modern day Cam Neely.

7 years. :facepalm:

Enjoy losing Gallagher or signing him to an insane contract.
Funny seeing a lot of non- habs fans trying to justify the notion it's a horrible contract by calling him a 1 goal man when in fact he just scored 27 with no help.

7 yrs.:D

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I was gearing up to love this post and then I see the last sentence. I think Habs fans are going to love what Anderson brings. He's an upgrade for them. But the point is that you don't know when his prime ends. It could be in two years or in six. He plays a very violent game.

Anderson is good and probably 10x more talented than Clarkson ever was but the contract is questionable. You just don't sign an unproven player to a 7 year contract. It doesn't make sense.

People comparing him and Clarkson probably never seen either player enough to judge. Clarkson had little skills and most of his goals were rebounds from being at the right place.

Time will tell

I agree with this. Though "unproven" is maybe a misnomer. Josh was plenty proven for Columbus, he was a consistent impactful player up until his injured season. The contract length is an issue because of the way he plays.

The bolded would bring him right to UFA, that is literally the worst contract the Habs could've offered. Well done buddy.

Nah. Sign him to that one year deal and six months from now if you're still willing to throw money and term at him he'll take it. That's what I would have done. Montreal is a place Josh would obviously like to stay in long term, no need to rush the extension.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Funny seeing a lot of non- habs fans trying to justify the notion it's a horrible contract by calling him a 1 goal man when in fact he just scored 27 with no help.

7 yrs.:D
Scored 27, one time.

I see why it fits your narrative to act like the 1 goal in 26 games never happened. But it did. Injured or not. If he was so affected by that injury then why play 26 games? He sure played a lot for an injured guy.

Screenshot_20201010-163526_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019

The point is that Anderson was acquired in a weak trade and signed to an awful contract, and that he is part of the series of moves Bergevin always make that keep this team stagnating in mediocrity.

But go ahead and miss it.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Josh was plenty proven for Columbus, he was a consistent impactful player up until his injured season. The contract length is an issue because of the way he plays.

Calling Anderson consistent pre-injury is a stretch.

In fact, he was only starting to find consistency during his very uncharacteristic 2018-19 season.

But unfortunately, that didn't last.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

Lol the guy is already Lucic and the Habs gave him more term and almost the same aav caphit.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
We also will most likely be losing one of Chiarot or Edmundson to expansion.
Well if we lose Edmunson it would have cost a 5th. Chariot was a free agent in what will be the last year of a deal . I’d keep chariot out of the two . Please don’t say you would be keeping mete with Weber and petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad