Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Josh Anderson signs extension (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Some people just have something against being happy.

You can't change anything to the decisions that are made by the club you cheer for, so why not lay back, relax and wait to see how it plays out.

Of course this move is a risk. It could pay off or be a bad, long contract. Bitching about it nonstop won't help matters. Do yourself a favor and just relax.

People moan about the team not being able to score and that need not being addressed. Do you really think that all you need to do is to add a 30 goals scorer to score 30 more goals? It's about playing a coherent style of hockey and having skilled players who can play to their strengths in your system. The Habs have more skill today than they did last year. They will score more by simply having more puck possession, being less hemmed in, being more intimidating physically and playing better as a team. Maybe it will materialize by most players getting 1-2 more goals rather than adding one top scorer, but I believe it will happen.

And if it doesn't, lucky for me, I still have lots of other things to care for in life and I will be fine. Still not worth getting all gloomy and negative about it.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Yeah, the Clarkson comparison is just plain stupid. Clarkson was older and much slower than Anderson. Anderson is coming off of back to back seasons where he was scoring at a 25+ goal pace before being hurt in the 1st game of this past season.

Well, it's not like Clarkson scored 30 and then 15 in 48 games before inking his colossal flop of a contract with Toronto. That occurred before the game got to it's current speed and when the belief was that peak career performance started at 27, not like now where that window is 22-24.

Bergevin gave too much salary for too long of a term to Anderson who has not played one game for his team. It's a bad contract that will go down as a terrible signing unless Anderson unearths some new skills at age of 26 or beyond. "Muscle" to protect your smaller player can be found a hell of a lot cheaper via free agency without have to trade your 2nd highest scorer over the past two seasons.

For the sake of Habs fans, I hope Anderson proves me wrong but history shows signings of this nature with excessive term never work out well.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
We've traded: TWO 3rd round pick, a 5th round pick, a 7th round pick and Max Domi (25YO)
for: Josh Anderson (26), Joel Edmundson (27) and Jake Allen (30)

And those three players will earn a combined $13 500 000 next season.13.5M for a backup, an underwhelming D and 4-point forward. That's 13.5M poorly invested.

That is absolutely not 13m poorly invested. First off, 26, 27 and 30 (gor a goalie) is by no means "old." Somehow Domi being 25 is significantly better?

Calling Anderson a 4 point forward.. Come on. He was injured. Prior to that he put up very respectable numbers, not to mention the heavy play style he brings that the team needs.

Jake Allen is absolutely what they needed on the back end. Price needs some relief in net, but the team needs a goalie that can steal games.. Not the warm bodies they keep shoving back there. This could easily have a Rask/Halak vibe eventually, which is just fine in keeping Price fresh.

Edmunson, that contract I didn't overly love, but you need to pay for defensemen, and he fills a need. I feel like maybe they could habe waited until yesterday and tried to add someone.. But the price range would have been similar for a similar style dman.

They need size and skill as well as a real 1B style back up.. They did that. Domi, seems like a great kid, just wasn't the guy that was going to propel this team forward. I hope he can find his game again in Columbus, I was hoping he'd be a staple on this Habs team. I also hoped the same for Galchenyuk, but hey, sometimes its just not meant to be.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
That is absolutely not 13m poorly invested. First off, 26, 27 and 30 (gor a goalie) is by no means "old." Somehow Domi being 25 is significantly better?

Calling Anderson a 4 point forward.. Come on. He was injured. Prior to that he put up very respectable numbers, not to mention the heavy play style he brings that the team needs.

Jake Allen is absolutely what they needed on the back end. Price needs some relief in net, but the team needs a goalie that can steal games.. Not the warm bodies they keep shoving back there. This could easily have a Rask/Halak vibe eventually, which is just fine in keeping Price fresh.

Edmunson, that contract I didn't overly love, but you need to pay for defensemen, and he fills a need. I feel like maybe they could habe waited until yesterday and tried to add someone.. But the price range would have been similar for a similar style dman.

They need size and skill as well as a real 1B style back up.. They did that. Domi, seems like a great kid, just wasn't the guy that was going to propel this team forward. I hope he can find his game again in Columbus, I was hoping he'd be a staple on this Habs team. I also hoped the same for Galchenyuk, but hey, sometimes its just not meant to be.
We also will most likely be losing one of Chiarot or Edmundson to expansion.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You're asking others to be objective while being completely deluded. The Habs are not better.

During his two seasons in Montreal, Domi produced 113 points. Second best on the team behind Tatar (119). Now we've traded him for an older dud.

We've traded: TWO 3rd round pick, a 5th round pick, a 7th round pick and Max Domi (25YO)
for: Josh Anderson (26), Joel Edmundson (27) and Jake Allen (30)

And those three players will earn a combined $13 500 000 next season.13.5M for a backup, an underwhelming D and 4-point forward. That's 13.5M poorly invested.

The two best players of the team for the last few years are Weber, 35 and Price, 33 years old. They haven't been able to get it done. This isn't a knock on them. It's a team sport and so on, but... it's kinda obvious we need to either significantly upgrade for now or let go of these veterans and truly rebuild.

Kotkaniemi and Suzuki are not going to fix this mess alone. There are plenty of teams with young guys emerging.

Bergevin is wasting everyone's time with his crappy planning, leaving roster holes and destroying the cap balance.
Once you claimed that Anderson was a 4 pt forward all credibility went out the door.

Reactions: japhi

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Yeah, the Clarkson comparison is just plain stupid. Clarkson was older and much slower than Anderson. Anderson is coming off of back to back seasons where he was scoring at a 25+ goal pace before being hurt in the 1st game of this past season.

Josh is a 26-year-old who has had one 20+ goal season in his career, has played one full NHL season period, coming off a serious injury and a season in which he scored 1 goal in 26 games.

The comparison to Clarkson is that they both got a fairly rich, long-term contract with very little track record of consistent offensive contribution.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I’m going to say that I love Anderson and what he potentially could bring as a power forward. However, signing him to a long term contract before ever playing a single game, coming off a bad year due to injury, is a huge mistake. Fairly recent history for power forwards shows this.
Remember Backes, Ladd, Okposo, all signed long term deals and ended up being anchors to their teams.
The much more prudent move would have been to let him play the
year on a “show me” contract, and than make a longer term deal if warranted. NHL salaries for the next few years will definitely be lower due to depressed revenues, so why the rush, especially right before free agency where some good players are available at discounted prices.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Man why hasn't a mod shut this thread down? All it is used for right now is to take jabs at Habs fans and the same jokes have been posted over and over again for 30+ pages. I think we have talked about Anderson enough. Shut it down already.
This is a main thread. Not a Habs forum. If people think the Anderson contract is risky, why shouldn’t they say so here? I’m an Oilers fan so I’ve been “blessed” with boneheaded management for so long that I’ve developed a thick skin when other teams fans laugh at us. If you don’t agree with a position, present your case with facts and sound logic. If they get ignorant about it, have a quiet chuckle about their stupidity and then ignore it. Or retreat to the Habs board. Begging for a thread to be closed is weak. And by the way, the Anderson contract is far richer than it needed to be and I don’t know why Bergevin didn’t bargain harder, given the risk.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
This is a main thread. Not a Habs forum. If people think the Anderson contract is risky, why shouldn’t they say so here? I’m an Oilers fan so I’ve been “blessed” with boneheaded management for so long that I’ve developed a thick skin when other teams fans laugh at us. If you don’t agree with a position, present your case with facts and sound logic. If they get ignorant about it, have a quiet chuckle about their stupidity and then ignore it. Or retreat to the Habs board. Begging for a thread to be closed is weak. And by the way, the Anderson contract is far richer than it needed to be and I don’t know why Bergevin didn’t bargain harder, given the risk.
Everything logic has already been posted over 30 pages already what NEW things can be said about this contract and the player? It really isn't about thick skin at all its about saying the same shit over and over and over again without any different discussion taken place.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Everything logic has already been posted over 30 pages already what NEW things can be said about this contract and the player? It really isn't about thick skin at all its about saying the same shit over and over and over again without any different discussion taken place.
I see your point, but the proper reaction is to simply not click on the link anymore instead of asking for it to be locked. That is such a “Karen” response.

This thread is mean! I want to see the manager.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I see your point, but the proper reaction is to simply not click on the link anymore instead of asking for it to be locked. That is such a “Karen” response.

This thread is mean! I want to see the manager.
Again I don't give a shit about the "mean" posts I want NEW ideas and discussion. Look through the last 30 pages of this thread has there been anything NEW being posted? its the same 2 or 3 things recycled like cmon man. Yes you are right I can just not click on the thread but after 39 pages and hitting 40 I thought there would be some new material already.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lol Habs invested a lot in a guy with 1 good yr coming off injury

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m going to say that I love Anderson and what he potentially could bring as a power forward. However, signing him to a long term contract before ever playing a single game, coming off a bad year due to injury, is a huge mistake. Fairly recent history for power forwards shows this.
Remember Backes, Ladd, Okposo, all signed long term deals and ended up being anchors to their teams.
The much more prudent move would have been to let him play the
year on a “show me” contract, and than make a longer term deal if warranted. NHL salaries for the next few years will definitely be lower due to depressed revenues, so why the rush, especially right before free agency where some good players are available at discounted prices.
If you really wanted to roll the dice on Anderson why not sign him to 4-5 year deal and mitigate the risk. Maybe Anderson is convinced he’s healthy and they demanded a 7 year deal or threatened to take a one year deal in arbitration. I’m not sure I buy that threat.

Ferris has a front row seat to how brutal the COVID market is since a top shelf UFA like Hall has to say he will consider shorter deals to increase his competitive offers, there will likely even be less money handed out next year with the flat cap and another bad year will catastrophically tank Anderson’s value as 2018-19 fades in the distance.

Anderson isn’t someone who should get a 7 year deal, he’s too much of injury risk and lacks the track record. With a NTC he’s a core piece now without being it exactly clear if that’s a good thing. He’s an intriguing player, lots of teams kicked the tires on him and Columbus got a two year trial run of Domi out of it (with a 3rd). This contract has too much wishful thinking and risk for me. The AAV isn’t surprising, if the Habs signing him for this long then they clearly believe last year was marred by injuries, but that term is rough.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Again I don't give a shit about the "mean" posts I want NEW ideas and discussion. Look through the last 30 pages of this thread has there been anything NEW being posted? its the same 2 or 3 things recycled like cmon man. Yes you are right I can just not click on the thread but after 39 pages and hitting 40 I thought there would be some new material already.
There's just not that much more to talk about I guess. Consensus seems to be the contract is a huge risk and could turn bad really fast. Everyone likes to give their 2 cents on signings and that's fine.

I don't know why you're surprised you aren't getting high quality and variety analysis on a free forum..

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
nope. anderson had better gpg, apg numbers and is younger than clarkson was when he signed his deal with the leafs. anderson is without a doubt better than clarkson was

Nonetheless, this contract is not going to age well.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
people are in love with what anderson can be, or might be. the trade and contract are just a disaster imo

I think plenty of people are in love with what Anderson *is.*

I have seen a lot of talk about how Anderson needs to find some new gear, or unearth some new skills in order for this contract to not be some kind of disaster.

I would be *very* happy as a Montreal Canadien fan if Anderson remained relatively healthy and remained the exact same player he already is.

I have no issue, at all, with paying $5.5 million a season for a speedy 20 to 25 goal power forward who imposes himself physically, creates room on the ice for his teammates and forechecks furiously like Anderson does.

He is *already* a $5.5 million player. Anybody that has watched a lot of him can clearly see that.

This thread is *filled* with people that have a lot of strong opinions about Anderson while clearly illustrating they don't have the faintest idea of what kind of player he is and what he will bring to the Montreal lineup.

Now that being said, I'm not wild about signing a player of his style to a seven year pact, cause he can, as we've already seen, get broken down. But based on his talent and the very rare combination of skills he brings in one package, anybody suggesting he's not worth the dollar value really don't know what they are talking about. I said, right after he got acquired he was going to be getting a contract with a five in front of it. I thought maybe there was an outside chance, because of his injury issues last year they might have got him at $4.75 per, but that didn't seem likely and would have been a short term pact.

Ryan52

Jun 20, 2009
Brampton, Ontario
I think plenty of people are in love with what Anderson *is.*

I have seen a lot of talk about how Anderson needs to find some new gear, or unearth some new skills in order for this contract to not be some kind of disaster.

I would be *very* happy as a Montreal Canadien fan if Anderson remained relatively healthy and remained the exact same player he already is.

I have no issue, at all, with paying $5.5 million a season for a speedy 20 to 25 goal power forward who imposes himself physically, creates room on the ice for his teammates and forechecks furiously like Anderson does.

He is *already* a $5.5 million player. Anybody that has watched a lot of him can clearly see that.

This thread is *filled* with people that have a lot of strong opinions about Anderson while clearly illustrating they don't have the faintest idea of what kind of player he is and what he will bring to the Montreal lineup.

Now that being said, I'm not wild about signing a player of his style to a seven year pact, cause he can, as we've already seen, get broken down. But based on his talent and the very rare combination of skills he brings in one package, anybody suggesting he's not worth the dollar value really don't know what they are talking about. I said, right after he got acquired he was going to be getting a contract with a five in front of it. I thought maybe there was an outside chance, because of his injury issues last year they might have got him at $4.75 per, but that didn't seem likely and would have been a short term pact.
the term is part of the contract. hes a hard working, tough player who is capable of 20 goals. thats not worth 5.5, but even if it is they have tied themselves in to a guy for 7 years that already had a big shoulder injury which cut him down production wise big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia