The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is all conjecture based on what you want out of a bottom 6. You want a Vegas bottom 6 but that requires a pretty big change. There's no way the Sabres are making that change in one season.

Also, Ruff has had an offensive third line. I don't think he's going to advocate for a huge change. Maybe a 4C or a grinder.
So Skinner and Krebs makes the basis of your “offensive 3rd line?” I guess you missed the last quarter of the season but let me tell you - they have already played together and brought absolutely nothing. You end up playing 3 lines because they’re useless.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Top 6 winger: agree. That winger needs to be a net front type of player

3C: somewhat agree. 3/4C type in the event that Krebs develops and fills that role, or Savoie surprises. In the case of the latter, the 3rd line becomes more offensive and the 4th line becomes more defensive.

4th line winger: agree. Someone who can check and player defense, and hopefully has some size to handle tougher playoff assignments.

Mid pairing RHD: not sure why. Are you planning on moving on from Clifton, Samuelsson, or Johnson? Samuelsson and Johnson have both shown they can handle second pair minutes. I think Adams should be looking for a 7th and 8th defenseman. His first call should be to Bryson's agent to see if he'll sign for less that $1.8M.
I want more than one righty on defense. I don’t buy that you can make it work with 6 lefts and one right, like you’re proposing, as it’s never done successfully in the last 20 years. Not even close. No one even attempts it because it leads to failure.

Why are people so against setting ourselves up for success by using winning formulas? We always have to be experimenting with all kinds of things that successful GMs never do.

Reactions: Jacob582

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Im very curious if they feel they can unlocked/improve cozens defensive game. Obviously when he had Quinn/peterka as linemates they weren’t shutting anyone down. If they can find a two way LW that isn’t an offensive black hole like greenway a mix of two way LW with Cozens- one of benson/tuch is an interesting potential for a matchup line. I think if you opt that route though you have to spend a bit more on a defensive center to mentor him a bit, something I don’t think they’ve had in his career.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I'd be into something around Samuelsson+ for Konecny. Would help thin out our LHD and escape the long-term commitment to a talented but injury-prone guy.

Konecny is only signed for one more year at $5.5 million and then he's a UFA. I wouldn't give up Samuelsson for one year of Konecny, much less add, unless you know you can resign him to a long-term deal.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
You're right, we should just stick with doing nothing due to the fear of making a mistake. That has seemed to work out well so far.
These responses are always funny. It's either we trade for Cernak or do nothing. Yep. Those are the only two options.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Konecny is only signed for one more year at $5.5 million and then he's a UFA. I wouldn't give up Samuelsson for one year of Konecny, much less add, unless you know you can resign him to a long-term deal.
Eh, I'd give it a rip still. Eventually we have to go after talent even if it isn't locked up - consider it an early deadline deal. If we can't get him pre-signed, try to convince him once he's here if things are going well next season.

I admit I'm keen to get off of Samuelson's contract. The unavailability is a big bugaboo for me and I'm not wild about his lack of physicality to begin with.

Reactions: Jacob582

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I don't even want Petterson or Zegras. We don't have the cap space. I want Nic Paul or Nic Roy or someone like that, who is complimentary and not redundant.

The focus should be on building a team, not collecting the most one-way skill. Haven't we learned that a million times over the past decade?
hence cirelli....

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Im very curious if they feel they can unlocked/improve cozens defensive game. Obviously when he had Quinn/peterka as linemates they weren’t shutting anyone down. If they can find a two way LW that isn’t an offensive black hole like greenway a mix of two way LW with Cozens- one of benson/tuch is an interesting potential for a matchup line. I think if you opt that route though you have to spend a bit more on a defensive center to mentor him a bit, something I don’t think they’ve had in his career.
This has been my thinking since year end presser.

Just the bones of it being, a 'top 9' view

JJP-Tage-Tuch
Skinner-2C-Quinn
Benson-Cozens-Greenway(X)
X-X-X

I know everyone is shoot Skinner into the sun territory, but this keeps him in an offensive role 5o5 instead of skating around with misfits, obviously there probably isn't a perfect '2C' fit out there, I mentioned a guy like Nick Schmaltz likely fitting well there considering his play driving/zone entry abilities are top notch, signed for 2yrs perfect bridge to the prospects, but there are probably too many obstacles to realistically acquire him (M-NTC, real $'s owed being greater than caphit). Finding that Mitts 'replacement' instead of focusing on a defensive 3C, not sure 'in-house' guy like Savoie or Kulich could manage that yet.

But that view takes pressure off of Cozens to be a 30-40goal guy and allows him to focus on his 'being hard to play against' game, with a badger in Benson and a good D forward in JG or alike.

Reactions: KeepKane

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Eh, I'd give it a rip still. Eventually we have to go after talent even if it isn't locked up - consider it an early deadline deal. If we can't get him pre-signed, try to convince him once he's here if things are going well next season.

I admit I'm keen to get off of Samuelson's contract. The unavailability is a big bugaboo for me and I'm not wild about his lack of physicality to begin with.
I'd think you'd have a decent top-six without him, but depth might be an issue.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Johnson - Jokiharju

Novikov first called up (Bryson gets claimed off waivers unless you overpay him).

Joker's contract is up in the air. I'm guessing we will need to move on from either him or Sammy, eventually. It's a matter of holding out for a good deal.

Reactions: HOOats and Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'll say:

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Power - Demelo
Samuelsson - Clifton
Johnson
Bryson

* Komarov first called up.

I'm trading Byram for Mittelstadt.

:thumbu:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What if I told you that LW was Dylan Cozens and they’ve been playing him out of position the entire time

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll say:

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Power - Demelo
Samuelsson - Clifton
Johnson
Bryson

* Komarov first called up.

I'm trading Byram for Mittelstadt.

:thumbu:

Flipping around Johnson as the guy playing early in Rochester and then being their actual 7 as the injury recall and then the Bryson analog as the spare guy who is around if someone can't go in warmups is an idea.

Not sure about immediately thinking Komarov is going to be the recall guy. Novikov is probably more likely as the 8/9 in that instance since he'll be in his 2nd NA season and 4th pro season overall.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Flipping around Johnson as the guy playing early in Rochester and then being their actual 7 as the injury recall and then the Bryson analog as the spare guy who is around if someone can't go in warmups is an idea.

Not sure about immediately thinking Komarov is going to be the recall guy. Novikov is probably more likely as the 8/9 in that instance since he'll be in his 2nd NA season and 4th pro season overall.
I wouldn't be surprised if they signed someone like Clague as their 8/9 oh shit defenseman

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I want more than one righty on defense. I don’t buy that you can make it work with 6 lefts and one right, like you’re proposing, as it’s never done successfully in the last 20 years. Not even close. No one even attempts it because it leads to failure.

Why are people so against setting ourselves up for success by using winning formulas? We always have to be experimenting with all kinds of things that successful GMs never do.
Is it that we choose to experiment? Or that any reasonable targets we might acquire are not ideal and we need to experiment?

If we agree Buffalo has trouble attracting free agents and is listed on most (if not all) no trade lists then we are limited in what we can do. I think it is more important we get a good player who fills a role we need than what his dominant hand is. Ideally it would be nice to have half RHD but is that realistic to hold out for that given our troubles with getting talent here?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think you are overestimating the importance of 3C .. engine? Is Lindell the engine on Florida? Where and who are all these engines on these teams? There are "few" shutdown centers in the NHL .. you need to fill out a 3rd line that isn't a blackhole. Tkachuk isn't a luxury he would be a main catalyst on the team.

Good teams make the cap work to bring in players needed.

Acquiring Brady Tkachuk isn't going to prevent you from adding good bottom 6ers. You can make sacrifices in other areas and you're not obtaining BT by just giving up futures..salary will be going out.
Lundell is not the engine on Florida because they have a certain Barkov fellow. We have committed to Tage and Cozens as our top 6 centers so our roster makeup has to accomodate that. And spending tons of assets for another offense-only winger is not the move that accomplishes that.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Lundell is not the engine on Florida because they have a certain Barkov fellow. We have committed to Tage and Cozens as our top 6 centers so our roster makeup has to accomodate that. And spending tons of assets for another offense-only winger is not the move that accomplishes that.

Who asked for an offense only winger?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
We have all the skill players, and even more waiting in the wings. I want the bigger two way players if we acquire anyone. I see no reason Kulich/Savoie/Rosen can't step in and fill a third line winger spot (Or Skinner from buyout). Find me a Vinny Trocheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad