Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Jonathan Drouin extends with Montreal (6 years, $5.5M)

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I would also say fair deal. Is there a major difference in income taxes between Florida and Canada in that case? There can be up to 0.5 mil difference per season based on this alone, depending on where you sign.

Anyway exciting player that I would loved at the Ducks. It is great that Montreal got a local kid that can be a star in this league.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
my thoughts exactly after seeing this atrocity of a contract:laugh:

I get that Drouin has a big name, high profile etc but imo that contracts is premature. Bergevin didn't need to do that and there's probably 29 other NHL GMs pissed off about it. one 50 some point season = 33M deal when the player has limited leverage. Overpayment

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I get that Drouin has a big name, high profile etc but imo that contracts is premature. Bergevin didn't need to do that and there's probably 29 other NHL GMs pissed off about it. one 50 some point season = 33M deal when the player has limited leverage. Overpayment
yep, crazy

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
If you ever meet him ask bargainbin about the wisdom of the cheap bridge deal. Because that worked out so fine for him in the past. Better to overpay a bit for the first two years than pay 8+ two years later. Also 6 years contract mean Walsha is not gonna ***** and moan every other year on twitter.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Ahhh... He has to stay healthy now and be consistent for this contract to play out well for MTL. And Radulov might be on a different team on opening night.

And they still have no C. Another winger with no C to play with.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Ahhh... He has to stay healthy now and be consistent for this contract to play out well for MTL. And Radulov might be on a different team on opening night.

:laugh: Same thing applies for every player on every team.

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014

Although he might start at wing, he's the type of player that plays like a center (natural position).

Likes to hold on the puck and make plays

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Exact deal Tavares signed with Isles post-ELC. Could be an incredible value for MTL in a few years.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I would also say fair deal. Is there a major difference in income taxes between Florida and Canada in that case? There can be up to 0.5 mil difference per season based on this alone, depending on where you sign.

Anyway exciting player that I would loved at the Ducks. It is great that Montreal got a local kid that can be a star in this league.

I believe Florida has the lowest tax rate while Montreal has the highest in the league

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
So MB had a problem giving Subban a 6 year extension at 5.5 a few years ago but has no problem paying Drouin the same amount. Interesting.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
So MB had a problem giving Subban a 6 year extension at 5.5 a few years ago but has no problem paying Drouin the same amount. Interesting.

Exactly lol, at least this looks like the whole Subban fiasco taught him a lesson?

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Exactly lol, at least this looks like the whole Subban fiasco taught him a lesson?

You're supposed to learn from mistakes. Bergevin did the right thing.

I agree finally it looks like he has learned, but man what a missed opportunity, having subban now at 5.5 would have been awesome for the habs, i don't think he would have been traded at that cap hit.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I agree finally it looks like he has learned, but man what a missed opportunity, having subban now at 5.5 would have been awesome for the habs, i don't think he would have been traded at that cap hit.

He did it to Galchenyuk too and that's about to cost him an asset. Learned the lesson little too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad