Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Jonathan Drouin extends with Montreal (6 years, $5.5M)

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Kudos to Montreal for going all in. It's a dice roll, but they needed a true top end potential offensive talent to be a serious contender.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Kudos to Montreal for going all in. It's a dice roll, but they needed a true top end potential offensive talent to be a serious contender.

I don't think this is an "all in" type of move. It's a swap of young talented players which will hopefully help us now and in the future.

"All in" to me implies sacrificing the future for the present. MB didn't do that here. Just a good hockey trade, I wish I could say it was from a position of strength but our scoring woes are more pressing than our defensive pipeline.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
I don't think this is an "all in" type of move. It's a swap of young talented players which will hopefully help us now and in the future.

"All in" to me implies sacrificing the future for the present. MB didn't do that here Just a good hockey trade, I wish I could say it was from a position of strength but our scoring woes are more pressing than our defensive pipeline.

He didn't? Sergechev WAS the future, almost every habs fan around here told anyone who would listen how that kid was gonna be the next big thing to anchor the blue line for years to come. It is getting almost as hard to acquire a strong top pairing D if not an entire top 4 on as it is finding those all important 1 and 2C and since the shiny new toy (Drouin) has never played centre in the NHL, good look finding it now that you have used your best trade assest on a winger. Galchenyuk is still available to trade i guess but that D lost its next Markov to Tampa.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Drouin? I don't think he's the piece they need to move forward...He'd be a much better fit on the Sens.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I think Habs got a steal here. Cooper strikes me as a guy who is terrible at handling young players and has held Drouin back, Tampa should of gotten rid of him before trading Drouin.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He didn't? Sergechev WAS the future, almost every habs fan around here told anyone who would listen how that kid was gonna be the next big thing to anchor the blue line for years to come. It is getting almost as hard to acquire a strong top pairing D if not an entire top 4 on as it is finding those all important 1 and 2C and since the shiny new toy (Drouin) has never played centre in the NHL, good look finding it now that you have used your best trade assest on a winger. Galchenyuk is still available to trade i guess but that D lost its next Markov to Tampa.
I guess it all comes down to who you think has higher trade value today. A signed Drouin vs Mikhail Sergachev.

If you want to tell me it's Sergachev it's your prerogative, I won't believe you though.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
I guess it all comes down to who you think has higher trade value today. A signed Drouin vs Mikhail Sergachev.

If you want to tell me it's Sergachev it's your prerogative, I won't believe you though.

Agree to disagree i guess. The one thing that we can both agree upon is the already thin cupboards down on the farm just got thinner.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Sergachev is far from a sure thing. I don't see a guy whose close to ready which means a lot has to go right for him to even make the NHL. This was a good deal for the Habs. But time will tell on Sergachev on if this was a great trade or not.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Exactly lol, at least this looks like the whole Subban fiasco taught him a lesson?

"Years ago"

Five years ago ago when Subban signed his bridge deal the cap was at 60M, and now it's 75M.

Subban getting 5.5 five years ago would be like Drouin getting 6.9M now. No way that was happening.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Agree to disagree i guess. The one thing that we can both agree upon is the already thin cupboards down on the farm just got thinner.

Which would have happened regardless if MS made the big team as a #7 in the fall.

I get that it's a warm cozy feeling to have a stacked farm but ultimately that's not the goal.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Does anyone feel Drouin really had leverage here? With his history of holding out in Tampa, and with the deal Rakkell got, I think they could have had him at $4.5-$5.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I predicted 4x4. given ufa deals I like it.

I still like rakell contract / value better but he didn't sign until the season started. rfa negotiations are rough on player/gm.

I thought it was a fair contract for both sides as well. Drouin has the chance to surpass that value.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Drouin is 22, not 30. Jesus.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Habs had to get a boost on offense. I keep saying that I was unimpressed with the Rangers winning a playoff series because we were fortunate enough to draw the one team in the entire postseason that was less talented than us with their slow and unskilled forwards.

Even Dan Girardi in that series looked like his 2012 self that beat out Karlsson for Norris votes.

They still need a center, but I really don't think there is one currently available that has the potential that Drouin has. Duchene or RNH really don't do it for me.

Instead, I think the Habs NEED to do whatever it takes to make sure Galchenyuk can develop into a legit top line center. Their chances of being a Cup contender hinge on that.

There was no way Tampa could afford to give JD that contract though so they did very well in getting Sergachev. They already have a very good top six in Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Killorn and Point with some good prospects on the way, while they really have nothing to surround Hedman with on the back-end.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
How does this fix MTL's scoring woes when Radulov's departure basically cancels this out?

Who are the 1-2 C's for MTL?

If Galchenyuk is traded for a D, doesn't their scoring take a further hit?

Um, yay?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
How does this fix MTL's scoring woes when Radulov's departure basically cancels this out?

Who are the 1-2 C's for MTL?

If Galchenyuk is traded for a D, doesn't their scoring take a further hit?

Um, yay?

Radulov and the Habs are still working on a contract and Galchenyuk hasn't been traded.

pump the brakes a little bit, you're talking like these things have happened already when they may never occur.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Wonder why Drouin -13 on Tampa Bay when Point is +4, Kucherov +4, Palat +8 and Stamkos +3.

Drouin worst Tampa Bay player at -13...

Will be nice on a 1st line with Mtl's worst Galchenyuk at -5.

Cant wait to see those fireworks.

Poor Julien...

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Wonder why Drouin -13 on Tampa Bay when Point is +4, Kucherov +4, Palat +8 and Stamkos +3.

Drouin worst Tampa Bay player at -13...

Will be nice on a 1st line with Mtl's worst Galchenyuk at -5.

Cant wait to see those fireworks.

Poor Julien...

Lame bait.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
He is sort of one dimensional, don't count on him helping out the D much. A fresh start should help him since his time in Tampa was rocky and he had injuries that hurt his development.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
:laugh: Same thing applies for every player on every team.

Only, Drouin already has a history. And off ice issues. And the main point was this contract bassically covers his potential way close to it's ceiling. You do understand he's got a much better contract than Kucherov?

Although he might start at wing, he's the type of player that plays like a center (natural position).

Likes to hold on the puck and make plays

Okay, Radulov is a center then. Problem solved. :sarcasm: :help:

centrehice

Apr 26, 2007
He is sort of one dimensional, don't count on him helping out the D much. A fresh start should help him since his time in Tampa was rocky and he had injuries that hurt his development.

He is anything but one dimensional... not being a defensive forward doesnt mean you're one dimensional...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad