Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Nick Suzuki to extension (8 years, $7.875M AAV)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hope he gets 20 goals for u
Suzuki has only played 2 seasons, neither near 82 games in the regular season and has already scored 15 in 56 games last season, another 7 in the playoffs. So he has scored over 22 goals in a season, I don't think you have to worry about that.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
i'd like to see what deal Necas gets ...picked one spot apart, and near identical points totals.
a much closer comparison that vs a 1st overall pick

The template is there. Not only Hischier and now Suzuki. But also Svechnikov signed for 8 years @ 7.75M in August.

They're all hovering around the same age and production rate.

Out of all of them, Hischier has played the most games with 230. He has put up 146 pts in those games.

Hischier: 146 pts in 230 GP (7 x 7.25M)
Svechnikov: 140 pts in 205 GP. Prorated: 157 pts in 230 GP (8 x 7.75M)
Suzuki: 82 pts in 127 GP. Prorated: 149 pts in 230 GP (8 x 7.875M)
Necas: 79 pts in 125 GP. Prorated: 145 pts in 230 GP (???)

Last edited:

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Suzuki will consistently put up 20-30 goals a season, but a lot of his value comes from his two-way play. Patrice Bergeron is the best-case scenario.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Fair...I just think some of the Habs fans saying "great deal, 1C" would be laughing at another team signing a similar caliber player to a similar deal.
What ? No. I think Suzuki has the potential to be like Bergeron, might not be extremely prolific points-wise but a 200ft player who can shutdown the opposing top lines while still putting up top line amount of points. Price, Suzuki and Caufield were the reasons why the Habs went to the SCF last season.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What ? No. I think Suzuki has the potential to be like Bergeron, might not be extremely prolific points-wise but a 200ft player who can shutdown the opposing top lines while still putting up top line amount of points. Price, Suzuki and Caufield were the reasons why the Habs went to the SCF last season.
I think O'Reilly is more accurate.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Will be hard now that 15 goal scorers are getting 7.8 million :pout:

No need for the leafs to worry, they have their core locked up won't affect them. 40 million for the big 4 already.

Lots of room to improve the team to win a single round versus the 3 the Habs won last year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Habs fans like it, that’s good enough for me. He’s an electric talent with a work ethic to match. He’s probably never a true franchise 1C on a year-in, year-out contender but he’s not being paid like one either. He can comfortably be the second or third highest earning forward on the team during this 8 year window and I’d be comfortable with projecting him as very capable of being the second or third best forward on a serious contender.

Reactions: Canad13ns

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Wrong word to use. First of all he was a first round pick at #13, so you'd expect him to be a productive player. Second, it wasn't even the Habs who drafted him. Third, its not like they got him for a 5th... he was a major piece in a trade involving one of their best players.

Good amount of coin for him, Habs must be banking on him becoming a 70+ point guy.

Yep, I think they see him a 70+ pts player. Giving what he shown the last 2 years (and last 2 playoff runs) I think it's pretty reasonnable to project him as a 70pts player as soon as the 2023-24 season, which will be the 2nd season of this deal. Add to this his defensive play and you have a pretty darn good 1B center.

Mar 12, 2009
If he wasn't a hab, some of the habs fans posting wouldn't think this highly of him, is my point...not sure how you're missing it.

Reactions: LGB51 and TML1990

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
lol the leaf fans are out in full force. they only focus on their own team so they don't realize that suzuki had 41 in 56 (for some reason I lot of them can't process that it was 56 games not 82) and then went out to put up 16 in 22 in the playoffs. Is it the gamble? For sure but suzuki has definitely shown that at worst case he's is going be a 2nd line center but defiantly has #1c potential.

Also not sure how this shows the nylander contract is a steal? he signed for $900 k less and his high in points at that time was 61 which is exactly what suzuki was pacing this year. Not to mention suzuki signed for 2 years longer, put up 16 points in 22 in the playoffs as a 21 year old, and is a 2 way center.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I really like what I have seen from him so far, but this seems premature, and excessive. Maybe they got spooked by the Kotka offer sheet?
For sure they were, but who wouldn't ? 6M for KK ... Just let that sink in. Can't let a real valuable player, Suzuki, available as a RFA anymore, not after the KK debacle.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
One thing to worry about - last year, Suzuki was a plucky, young player on a entry-level contract. He's now been christened the Habs long-term 1C with a salary to match. The Montreal press will be much less forgiving of youthful mistakes.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad