Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Nick Suzuki to extension (8 years, $7.875M AAV)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
86th in scoring behind 8 dmen. 1c on few specific teams. Paid 10 mil this year and next 2. Will be value in 5 years.
Behind 8dmen... So what??? Erik Karlsson is the 6th top pointer in the NHL as we speakz does that nean that any player behind jim making 8m$ + is a 3rd liner??

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Behind 8dmen... So what??? Erik Karlsson is the 6th top pointer in the NHL as we speakz does that nean that any player behind jim making 8m$ + is a 3rd liner??
Meaning 78 forwards ahead, just wanted to take dmen off « main« list.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If (when) Montreal signs Dubois:

a) how much more $ does Dubois get?
b) who is the #1 C?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
86th in scoring behind 8 dmen. 1c on few specific teams. Paid 10 mil this year and next 2. Will be value in 5 years.

In Montréal we don't care about how much real money they are paid per year because funds is not a problem, only poor ass teams does
Cap hit is good at 7,8M$

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Suzuki has 42 points in 56 games. At 23, Zibanejad had 37 points in 56 games. 3 years later he put up 75 points in 57 games.

Montreal is the 4th lowest scoring team in the league, so it's not like he has a lot of help.

I wasn't a fan of the contract when it was signed and maybe he won't take that next step, but don't be so quick to write him off.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
In Montréal we don't care about how much real money they are paid per year because funds is not a problem, only poor ass teams does
Cap hit is good at 7,8M$
Not if he doesnt break 60 pts.
Been his pace last 3. Still young, should improve.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Suzuki has 42 points in 56 games. At 23, Zibanejad had 37 points in 56 games. 3 years later he put up 75 points in 57 games.

Montreal is the 4th lowest scoring team in the league, so it's not like he has a lot of help.

I wasn't a fan of the contract when it was signed and maybe he won't take that next step, but don't be so quick to write him off.
Zibanejad got 47 pts that very next season. On a 5 mil contract For 4 more years. Got paid at 29.

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Suzuki strikes me as a guy who is REAL good when the team is good. Once the Habs crawl out of the basement, he's going to be an absolute monster. Such an underrated player. Yeah he's not performing now, no one on the team is, there's no one ON the team to help him. Also, I'm the farthest thing from a Habs fan, but this is silly talk, Suzuki is so good.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Thank you.

I was just about to bring something like this up. Suzuki is only 23 on a team with nearly zero offensive support. Will he pan out as a PPG player in the next few years? Who knows. Dismissing him now is silly though. The kid isn't going to be a superstar but he could easily carve out being a top line center.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That Nick Suzuki is not a true #1 center, and that the Habs have not had a true #1 since probably Pierre Turgeon.
That's wjhat I mean. There is no point. Suzuki is a #1 centre. Not a superstar #1 but a 1st line centre capable of 90 points. Dach if he reaches his potential is a 1b centre. If they mange to get Dubois they have 3 guys capable of at least being a lower case 1c. And that doesn't include the one (or 2) centres they will get in the 2023 draft.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Zibanejad got 47 pts that very next season. On a 5 mil contract For 4 more years. Got paid at 29.
That doesn't in any way invalidate my point.

Yes, Suzuki is overpaid for his current production. That doesn't mean he won't improve. It doesn't mean he will either, but too many people rush to judgement. Situations change. Players improve. He is not done learning and developing at age 23.

Reactions: JRichard

DTM

Jun 24, 2014
That Nick Suzuki is not a true #1 center, and that the Habs have not had a true #1 since probably Pierre Turgeon.
Screenshot 2023-02-20 190501.jpg

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I understand the anti-habs fans love to push back and confirm their Suzuki predictions / hot takes when as always (and not just in this thread) there is a complete lack of context.
I get y'all like to rub the noses of the habs fans who proclaimed him a star.
Personally I think he'll top out as a 70-75 Pt, two-way C which may rise depending on his wingers and PP time.
He was a point a game C, until Monahan went down, Evans went down, Dach has now gone down. His winger who was on pace for 48 goals went down.
He's playing with an AHLer and Anderson and being asked to play close to 25 mins a night in all situations. The habs are again a shit-show injury wise and he's still on pace for 60 pts.
He's only 23 and even if he ends playing behind Dach - or Dubois - or whoever they draft this summer, he remains, a solid, high IQ, C.
his contract is fine imo

there's been loud rumours he's been playing injured for a while too

Last edited:
Reactions: double5son10

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I could not even tell you his linemates since cole got hurt and I basically watch every game when I can.
Some mixture of Hoffman Pitlick Andersson Rafael Harvey Pinard,

Poor kid :laugh::laugh::laugh: I can't imagine he's having much fun out there.

Contract is fine , suzi elevates his game when it counts , not much to play for these days. Hell he's not even mailing it in the team is just hot garbage right now

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
"He reverted back to the norm because playing with Caufield/Dach and playing with RHP/Anderson is the same thing, right guys?"

Oh sorry didn't realize this current pace wasn't the norm for him instead of a small 20 game sample size, could you point out which other season where he scored 90-100 points again? I must have missed it.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
on pace for the same production as last year. ideally you'd like to see some progress after signing a monster contract. i guess not having caufield really hurt him.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s overpaid by quite a bit compared to his peers. I mean I understand he still could improve but I wouldn’t be comfortable with that contract. Probably should have bridged him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad