Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Cole Caufield signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.85M AAV)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
is it helping them?
It's nothing.

Becuase he is

Then when he scores 30 he’ll be a 30 goal scorer
Then when he scores 40 he’ll be a 40 goal
Scorer

No amount of brain gymnastics and crazy pace calculations changes that
There is no brain gymnastics. If you want to say the Habs signed a 20 goal scorer to an 8 year contract and then explain why you're technically correct go ahead. No one cares.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Holy cow my first thought this morning was WOW what a great contract.

Now after reading all these posts on HF and I'm learning Caufield is a 20 goal per year scorer who may suffer a career ending injury soon.

Ouch! Can we take that contract back or am I overreacting

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Becuase he is

Then when he scores 30 he’ll be a 30 goal scorer
Then when he scores 40 he’ll be a 40 goal
Scorer

No amount of brain gymnastics and crazy pace calculations changes that
But but but… he was pacing!!!!

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Holy cow my first thought this morning was WOW what a great contract.

Now after reading all these posts on HF and I'm learning Caufield is a 20 goal per year scorer who may suffer a career ending injury soon.

Ouch! Can we take that contract back or am I overreacting
Nah your good, from an outside perspective, Montreal got a very good deal especially if the cap rises substantially in a year or two.

The Canadiens could have a good roster with a lot of potential good deals if they play their cards right and keep drafting really good.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
There are four types of people in this thread.

Those that think its a bad deal because they legitimately have never watched this kid play.

Those that think its a bad deal because they are trolling and/or bitter (usually Leafs fans)

Habs fans who overwhelmingly love this deal (if it was 9 mil we would be much more divided)

And fans of other teams who think this is a good deal (Those that have actually watched Cole play)

Par for the course for most HF threads on individual players.

Reactions: CDN24 and HabsQC

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I’d rather “overpay” for young talent that is already very good and could be elite very soon rather than past their prime players. Great day for montreal.
Or get absolutely fleeced by an RFA with no power and their agents because they don’t give a shit about winning and just want to get paid.

The league is full of young guys who took these types of deals in hopes of winning or because they were RFA’s with not much choice.

But in Toronto, a few notorious losers had their agents strong arm the team for the best deals for themselves and crippled the team. Pathetic.

Reactions: waitin425

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
The fact that they managed to sign a fifty goal scorer superstar for less than their mid-tier second line center whom he's been dragging around on his back from the moment they were put together shows impeccable management and dealing.

There is no logical reason that Caufield and Suzuki should have roughly equivalent contracts.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: waitin425

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Cole was 3rd behind Matthews and Pasta for ESG over his last 82 games.

Theres a reason Habs fans are happy here.

How hasn’t he performed to that level? He’s close to 0.5 goals per game in his career and last year was just his sophomore season. He basically beat Vegas by himself as a rookie in the playoffs. He’s special and now he’s locked up to a great deal.

Caufield had scored 46 goals, in 82 games, since MSL took over as coach............this is how the agent and the GM reached an agreement....................good for both.

That’s great, and I’m not trying to discount what he’s accomplished, but I think there’s more to it.

First off, it’s a small sample size. And secondly, it’s even smaller because Caulfield has missed considerable time over the past two seasons. Questions remain on if he can do it consistently over a full season, or if he can remain healthy over a full season. There is definitely some risk associated with that, especially when the player is 5’7”.

To invest that much money, over that kind of term, on an undersized offensive winger who has shown injury concerns is a bit risky, that’s all I’m saying. I’m a bit surprised they didn’t go the bridge route, but I guess the intent was to keep the cap hit as low as possible in 3-4 years from now.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
In another thread I was told by a Habs fan to combine the last 2 seasons and ignore that slight wrinkle of what they call an offseason

So that is essentially a 40 goal season.
OK smarty, maybe we can take his career 53 goals in 123 games, which makes it a 35 goal scorer on a 82 games season. Does that work for you? Considering he is 22 year old, for sure he will regress going forward right?

Or we can also add the 4 goals in 20 playoff games, which makes him a 33 goals scorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Or get absolutely fleeced by an RFA with no power and their agents because they don’t give a shit about winning and just want to get paid.

The league is full of young guys who took these types of deals in hopes of winning or because they were RFA’s with not much choice.

But in Toronto, a few notorious losers had their agents strong arm the team for the best deals for themselves and crippled the team. Pathetic.
Players want what they are worth… it’s capitalism. Boo hoo.

And which of those contracts were bad value? Nylander absolutely overperformed his contract… marner is a franchise winger who is a threat at both ends of the ice… matthews a two time rocket winner. I don’t see any “fleecing” involved there.

This is good value for Montreal unless caufield suffers career altering injuries. I take that bet any day.

26 goals in 46 games, by HF's poster he would have score maybe 2-3 goals in the next 36 games, clearly he was just lucky all year long...
If he can maintain his shot volume, he’ll be a 50 goal scorer at some point. He averages close to 4 shots/game and has a laser.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Players want what they are worth… it’s capitalism. Boo hoo.

And which of those contracts were bad value? Nylander absolutely overperformed his contract… marner is a franchise winger who is a threat at both ends of the ice… matthews a two time rocket winner. I don’t see any “fleecing” involved
That’s fine and dandy but how many players sign deals like that and win? Greed and selfishness are not “capitalism”.

Before this year, there wasn’t a single team to even make it to the finals let alone win with a skater making over 9.5M. Now you just gotta say over 10 because same thing yet the leafs have 3x 11m players.

Not only that but they refused to give any term and had NMC’s so they couldn’t be moved if not resigned. Clearly, these guys don’t care about winning as much as Suzuki/Caufield, Hedman/Kucherov/Point/Stamkos, Thompson/Cozens, Hughes, Stutzle and a host of other players in the league.

And since when is Marner a threat of any kind? He’s been a massive joke every single playoffs when it matters like clockwork. Matthews wants to be the highest paid in the league ffs.. god forbid they take a small discount to win though right? Them winning would be better for their earnings than this constant embarsssment. These guys need to stop pretending they want to win because their performances and contracts say otherwise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad