Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Cole Caufield signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.85M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
About the same AAV as Suzuki.
Not even $15m tied up on the best 2 forwards. I like it
The question is - can you compete for everything with those two as your two best forwards? Saying you have your “two best forwards under contract long term for $15 million” cannot be judged in a vacuum.

Not to say it’s a bad deal - this is almost the template deal for any young 22-23 year-old who has flashed promise.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Also just an FYI about people worried about injuries. He's only been injured once really.

The other games he missed a bunch of was Covid and got stuck in so quarantine rules. Otherwise it's always been minor stuff.

Reactions: Morrison and Weztex

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The question is - can you compete for everything with those two as your two best forwards? Saying you have your “two best forwards under contract long term for $15 million” cannot be judged in a vacuum.

Not to say it’s a bad deal - this is almost the template deal for any young 22-23 year-old who has flashed promise.
Well they made the finals with them as there best forwards already, so I'd say yes

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
MTL fans seem happy, so I'm happy for them.

MTL isn't competing now, so locking him up long term before the cap raises makes sense. If the cap raises, and if he scores 40 goals, I would say he would probably get slightly more than 8 mil after a two year bridge.

With that being said, on the other side of the coin, that is a substantial risk for an undersized scoring winger who hasn't really performed at a level to deserve that contract yet. Hopefully betting on the player makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad