Confirmed Trade: [MTL/DAL] Denis Gurianov for Evgenii Dadonov (50% retained)

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Salary retain means nothing from the Habs POV. We still have a retention spot left for 2022-2023 that we didn't use.

Dadonov 4 goals 18 points in 50 games (0.08 gpg, 0.36 ppg)
Gurianov 5 goals 8 points in 23 games (0.22 gpg, 0.35 ppg)

Gurianov brought more to the Habs than Dadonov did. What Dadonov is doing in Dallas is irrelevant to us.
i guess you dont mind the Drouin trade then. What Sergachev is doing in Tampa is irrevelant to you.

dadonov was and is better player both in Mtl and in Dallas.

ED 15 pts in 23 games in Dallas only. Gurianov 17 pts, 9 in 43 games in Dallas + 8 in 23 games in Mtl.

i guess we’re still in Hugo is God mode.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

JohnTheBaptist

We are brothers/sisters and of the Divine Source
Nov 13, 2022
Been called a win-win already… not sure what Habs won but i have seen guys getting votes on Hockeyfights getting their a** whipped so doesnt mean much.
3 goals, plus player on 3rd line. Whats not to like?

Gurianov lost last faithfuls on Pride night. Excluded on an inclusive night, brilliant. He is not counted on anymore.
Has nothing to do with that nobody gives 2 f***s about the pride night. He's simply not good enough to be in a top 6, his shot is elite but that's it.

Reactions: Laus723

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Has nothing to do with that nobody gives 2 f***s about the pride night. He's simply not good enough to be in a top 6, his shot is elite but that's it.
Said « last » faithfuls. Some still believe he could turn it around. Probably same hoping for another top 5 pick!
Did you expect to get a top 6 player from trading Dadonov with 50% retention?
Would have been win-win if Gurianov played well enough to earn a new show-me contract.
Not happening.
Dadonov though might.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
i guess you dont mind the Drouin trade then. What Sergachev is doing in Tampa is irrevelant to you.

ED 15 pts in 23 games in Dallas only. Gurianov 17 pts, 9 in 43 games in Dallas + 8 in 23 games in Mtl.

Dadonov is a rental/UFA player. The habs would've lost him for nothing.

Sergachev/Drouin trade isn't comparable.
Drouin underperformed regardless of Sergachev performance.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

who cares what Dadonov is doing with Dallas he was irrelevant and ass here and a UFA we werent gonna re-sign

happy hes doing good with Dallas i always wish the best to everyone but no it does not impact us we took the chance on a former 1st round pick with size,skating and shooting not like Dadonov was gonna return us a 1st or 2nd everyone here was saying he had 0 value

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

How was Dadonov better in Montreal than Gurianov? They had basically the same ppg and Gurianov scored at a way higher pace.

Using the Drouin trade as an example shows a lack of understanding of how hockey management work. Comparing trading a UFA that didn't want to stay here versus a young prospect years from UFA is not the take you think it is.

Dadonov was gone after this year no matter what. Getting anything for him is a win.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Dadonov is a rental/UFA player. The habs would've lost him for nothing.

Sergachev/Drouin trade isn't comparable.
Drouin underperformed regardless of Sergachev performance.
Trade of 2 ufas isnt an automatic win-win because you would have lost your guy anyway. This is my point.

Got complicated for Habs fans who wanted the team to get worse to pick earlier. To them they won by getting worse. It applies here.

At some point they will have to come out of that line of thought. Pretty depressing to call out players who ruined the tank by playing good.

Dadonov scored 65+ twice, not so long ago. Gurianov never reached 32. Bust at 12oa in a 2015 loaded draft.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
This trade thread's never going to die if it keeps getting bumped after every Stars game. :laugh:
Imagine if Habs season wasnt over. Would have been bumped between periods.
Thread not being bumped over performance, bumped over trade winner stuff.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If Dadonov keeps this up I could see Dallas trying to give him a couple years to solidify the top 9 going forward. He fits perfectly with Benn.

Reactions: Stubu

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
We took on Dadonov in the Weber "trade". He had no value. The intention (other than getting rid of Weber) was that hopefully Dadonov would get more ice time opportunities and a proeminent role, and hopefully would build some value for the next deadline. Unfortunately he sucked in Montreal and was (once again) disinterested.

At that point, he might have been traded for a mid-low pick, but with the flurry of injuries, it was smarter to take a chance on an underachiever like Gurianov and have an actual able player. But once again, in a contract year, Gurianov failed to grab an opportunity.

It was the right kind of gamble but we bet on the wrong horse.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Trade of 2 ufas isnt an automatic win-win because you would have lost your guy anyway. This is my point.
You mentioned the Drouin/Sergachev trade, so you're clearly unsure of the point you're making.

Got complicated for Habs fans who wanted the team to get worse to pick earlier. To them they won by getting worse. It applies here.

At some point they will have to come out of that line of thought. Pretty depressing to call out players who ruined the tank by playing good.

Dadonov scored 65+ twice, not so long ago. Gurianov never reached 32. Bust at 12oa in a 2015 loaded draft.
Dadonov is a 34 year-old UFA who scored 4-14-18 in 50 games for Montreal. His 65+ seasons were four and five years ago. He brought little value this past season and will have no value whatsoever to a Montreal team that will be competing in 2/3 years.

The trade was a perfect win-win. Dallas squeezes a nice run out of an aging player; Montreal gets the much younger Gurianov who produced at the same rate and, unlike Dadonov, will have a more-than-zero value after July 1.

Reactions: jrom and LT

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
You mentioned the Drouin/Sergachev trade, so you're clearly unsure of the point you're making.

Dadonov is a 34 year-old UFA who scored 4-14-18 in 50 games for Montreal. His 65+ seasons were four and five years ago. He brought little value this past season and will have no value whatsoever to a Montreal team that will be competing in 2/3 years.

The trade was a perfect win-win. Dallas squeezes a nice run out of an aging player; Montreal gets the much younger Gurianov who produced at the same rate and, unlike Dadonov, will have a more-than-zero value after July 1.

The only way the habs could get anything for Gurianov after July 1 is if he's qualified, in which case he'd have negative value at 3 million dollars

Reactions: Ratbath

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
The only way the habs could get anything for Gurianov after July 1 is if he's qualified, in which case he'd have negative value at 3 million dollars
Exactly. And it wont happen.
Dadonov reminds me of my father’s car. Old but no mileage. Dadonov is 34 but has 6 yrs of NHL usage (486 games) 2007 draftees have 1000+ games.
Younger not always better.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's not worth 2.9 million where we have a boatload of players who can outplay him at 1 million.

This is going to be interesting is he accepts 2 million on a try out contract for future worth.

Reactions: pth2

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Stars definitely are better because of this trade so it’s a win for them. Seems like a neutral move at best for the habs with a chance to be a full lose if they sign Guri for any amount of money going forward. Currently I’d call it a win without a loss like stars win in OT on this one but habs still get a point. I get why Montreal made the move and don’t fault them for the speculation but Guri should be in the KHL next year.

Reactions: pth2

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Exactly. And it wont happen.
Dadonov reminds me of my father’s car. Old but no mileage. Dadonov is 34 but has 6 yrs of NHL usage (486 games) 2007 draftees have 1000+ games.
Younger not always better.

All those other leagues he played in don't count towards mileage?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad