Waived: [MTL] D Gustav Lindstrom waived by the Canadiens (claimed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like the ship has sailed on his "upside" being anything of note, but a big stay-at-home RHD still seems like a guy likely to be claimed by someone.

Like, is he somehow not better than Noah Juulsen or Mark Friedman for the Canucks?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’ve always like him since his draft year. RH shot is a benefit too. I hope the Flames claim him and actually trade Tanev.
I always wonder what the issue with players like him are.

Has decent tools and made the NHL at a relatively young age, but looks like the exact same player at age 21 as he does at 25.

Do these guys just not have the IQ to make the leap to a full time/valuable player or do they just not work hard enough in the off season/off ice to keep improving their game?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I always wonder what the issue with players like him are.

Has decent tools and made the NHL at a relatively young age, but looks like the exact same player at age 21 as he does at 25.

Do these guys just not have the IQ to make the leap to a full time/valuable player or do they just not work hard enough in the off season/off ice to keep improving their game?
I'm pretty sure he lost his spot and now being waived because he wasn't drafted by the habs/someone the GM knows.

He played well after his first few games where he was meh. He got pushed out of the lineup for a youngster who has played a bit better and other youngsters who I would say didn't play better than him, like Barron.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure he lost his spot and now being waived because he wasn't drafted by the habs/someone the GM knows.

He played well after his first few games where he was meh. He got pushed out of the lineup for a youngster who has played a bit better and other youngsters who I would say didn't play better than him, like Barron.
It’s not just him being sent down. It’s just that he had the skill of a #6/7D at 21 and still has that exact same skill level at 22.

Just curious with what happens with players like that who just never seem to improve from that level. Do they just not work hard enough to keep improving or did they just kind of tap out their potential really early

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Lost that one. 4th for Petry at 50% retained. Win some lose some even for Hughes.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Lost that one. 4th for Petry at 50% retained. Win some lose some even for Hughes.
That's just a bad faith interpretation.... that one specific transaction in isolation looks bad, but it has to be seen as part of the series of deals that got rid of Hoffman, and got the Habs Pearson, a 2nd and a 3d (as well as that 4th).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Another rotten redwings pick?
2nd rounder who has played in 140 NHL games and counting is hardly a "rotten pick". The guy drafted one spot above him will never play in the NHL at all and drafted one spot below is an All-Star. That's how 2nd round be.

Reactions: pth2

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
TBF Lindström was in thrown in the deal just so the Wingd wouldn't need to waive him I believe, and I'd be quite surprised if someone claimed him. Doubt there were any expectations regarding performance on him. Petry is cooked and we don't need the cap space anyway so I'll take the 4th.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure he lost his spot due to his game, not because he wasn't drafted by the Habs/someone the GM knows. Justin Barron may have his ups & downs, but he is clearly better than Gustav Lindstrom, as is everyone else who has played D for Montreal this season.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure he lost his spot due to his game, not because he wasn't drafted by the Habs/someone the GM knows. Justin Barron may have his ups & downs, but he is clearly better than Gustav Lindstrom, as is everyone else who has played D for Montreal this season.
Nah, Barron has been a bit more offensive, but he's struggled defensively while Lindstrom was passable.

He didn't stand out from the others he was in contention with, so lost his spot.

I'm fine with that as the others have a future with the org to potentially get better. Lindstrom is what he is

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Lol he was a throw in by Yzerman to lose a contract......

Take a look at this entire deal instead, they receive a 2nd round pick as well for taking Petry.

Reactions: pth2

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
That's just a bad faith interpretation.... that one specific transaction in isolation looks bad, but it has to be seen as part of the series of deals that got rid of Hoffman, and got the Habs Pearson, a 2nd and a 3d (as well as that 4th).
Well i just didnt bundle trades made 9 days apart! Took Lindstrom‘s deal the way it was done thats all. No need to see that as bad faith.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Jets could use RHD depth for the playoffs…plus his contract is only til the end of this season, so no long term commitment

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
TBF Lindström was in thrown in the deal just so the Wingd wouldn't need to waive him I believe, and I'd be quite surprised if someone claimed him. Doubt there were any expectations regarding performance on him. Petry is cooked and we don't need the cap space anyway so I'll take the 4th.
Petry wanted out (just like Gauthier) so return was lets say rather bad. plus retention.
carolina got next to nothing (2 2nds who busted) to play the middle man in Adam Fox’s case. He chose NYR and NYR only

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Jets could use RHD depth for the playoffs…plus his contract is only til the end of this season, so no long term commitment

Wouldn't mind picking him up for the Jets. He wont win the teams any games but he he wont lose them either. Good 6-7th D to have around.

Habs asset management is just terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: CanMerc and Chose

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Wouldn't mind picking him up for the Jets. He wont win the teams any games but he he wont lose them either. Good 6-7th D to have around.

Habs asset management is just terrible.
Be a good fill in in case of injury or illness

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
LOL !
Habs asset management is actually stellar !
This guy isn't worth much. He will probably clear btw...
Even if he gets claimed, the Habs lose nothing. Guy doesn't make your team better, he just fills a spot on the roster who can kill some minutes. Just an average AHLer who can pull his weight in the NHL for a couple of games.

As for asset management, the Habs were terrible at it. HuGo changed that recently, but still this trade stunk, even for HuGo. Petry wanted to be in D-town and got his wish.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Even if he gets claimed, the Habs lose nothing. Guy doesn't make your team better, he just fills a spot on the roster who can kill some minutes. Just an average AHLer who can pull his weight in the NHL for a couple of games.

As for asset management, the Habs were terrible at it. HuGo changed that recently, but still this trade stunk, even for HuGo. Petry wanted to be in D-town and got his wish.
That's very short sighted.
The whole trade got Hoffman & Pitlick out of the lineup, got us a 2nd, a 3rd & a 4th. NOBODY wanted cruising Hoffman and his 4.5M$ AAV for no production. Pitlick is a tweaner that wanted out.
Lindstrom was a throw-in for the RedWings to get a roster spot.
Petry was cooked anyway.

This was a masterclass of asset management. Read the whole book, not only one of the last chapters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad