Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Carey Price extended (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Ideally yes, but right now the Market for goalies is relatively soft IMO.

What was the difference between Cam Talbot and Carey Price last year? About seven or eight goals over the season.

Price: 0.924

Talbot: 0.919

Price saw around 1,800 shots last year.

Talbot made 1.45 Million last year.

So how much is eight goals against worth to a team?

talbot has had one good year in his career.and is actually older then price.

people out there always looking for the freshest muffins

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The Canadiens needed to begin the process of a full rebuild the day after they stupidly traded Subban. The team structure is in no way that of a Cup contender, and there's no path for them to go anywhere but down. Their center depth remains atrocious, their blueline has gotten slower & less mobile than ever, but Price will mask the flaws and they'll market the hell out of Drouin, so the stands will be full and they'll play in the playoffs. For a couple years at least. But make no mistake, they're a pretender, and Price is just Bergevin's "save my job" card.

Five years from now they'll be completely hosed, akin to Vancouver. Price may well rue the day he signed this extension, because he's guaranteed himself of a fate akin to Lundqvist, except he likely won't even get to play in a Cup final. He'll certainly never win one in Montreal.

I disagree with this on one condition.

The situation is completely salvageable like I mentioned on the Habs board on Sunday... but the only thing to salvage it is new management, new player development and scouting staff, and a competent GM who can address our needs and build from within. Better scouts turning our picks into better selections, better player development to help them fulfill their potential or even surpass it so they can eventually become main roster contributors OR used to flip in trades (because they'd actually have value) to fill holes.

None of that will happen under Bergevin, but it's a salvageable situation under a new regime if it happened quick.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the Habs crashed and burned this season, though, even with a healthy Price and got a top pick.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Talbot has now had 4 good seasons, and was excellent in the playoffs.

He won't get a Carey Price deal, but I could see him in the Tukka Rask range.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Talbot has now had 4 good seasons, and was excellent in the playoffs.

He won't get a Carey Price deal, but I could see him in the Tukka Rask range.

Talbot has been a starting goalie for 2 seasons and last season was his first with a 500 or more record.

the previous year he had .917 SV%

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If you don't think it's an overpayment your emotions are involved. Goalies are never worth more than 6-7m max

I am a sens fan I have no emotions about it. He is the best in the world at his position, you saw what happened to Montreal when he was hurt. A blanket statement like the one you just made doesnt add up, what are they supposed to do just let him walk? He is the best player on the team and gives them a chance every night. I thought he was going to get like the 11/12 million range.

The term isnt even bad, elite goaltenders can play until they are 40 years old. That cap hit in 5 years could look like a bargain for a player of his stature. He isnt done improving, his mental game will still get tougher and so will his hockey sens and puck tracking ability.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

The point is, you can get 0.915+ goaltending in this league for cheap. Price's 0.920+ is 8 goals a year on average.

Replace Talbot with Joe Goalie, on a 5 year 7.5 million dollar contract.

That's $300,000 per goal compared to Price's current contract.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The point is, you can get 0.915+ goaltending in this league for cheap. Price's 0.920+ is 8 goals a year on average.

Its nice to break it down like that but first of all there arent a bunch of talbots just sitting there to sign. Second of all Price brings a leadership, pedigree and intimidation factor that very few goaltenders can impose. He also can make outrageous game changing saves, that can swing momentum on top of being debatably the best puck mover out there which allows Montreals D core to not get hemmed in the zone.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Its nice to break it down like that but first of all there arent a bunch of talbots just sitting there to sign. Second of all Price brings a leadership, pedigree and intimidation factor that very few goaltenders can impose. He also can make outrageous game changing saves, that can swing momentum on top of being debatably the best puck mover out there which allows Montreals D core to not get hemmed in the zone.

That would show up in SV%

You're talking to a Jets fan. Pavelec's highlight reel makes him seem like an elite goalie, so outrageous saves do nothing for me.

In the trapezoid era, puck moving goalies mean a lot less. (Don't get me started on the trapezoid. I hate it so much.)

Goalies have one job: Stop the effing puck. If you're a 0.920 goalie you're one of the best. If you're 0.915, you're league average. If you're 0.905 or below you're garbage tier.

This is pointless. It's a contract that couldn't have turned out any other way, and Price deserves it for his performances. It just stings the Canadiens, because you can get similar goaltending for a lot less.

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Talbot has been a starting goalie for 2 seasons and last season was his first with a 500 or more record.

the previous year he had .917 SV%

Barely above league average save % for 2 seasons and he's going to get like 6-7$ million and people are acting like he's the greatest? I mean good for Cam but let's not act like Carey's 500+ vs Cam's 200 GP don't mean something, and Price's last 4 years have been all-star level performance in league.

Not saying there's not risk in Price, there's risk in any contract but at most its a 1$ million or so overpayment and prime age all stars are going to get their 8 years so it's a risk the Canadiens have to take because the alternative of letting him go and then going into the goaltending roullete table for the next few years is not acceptable.

The gamble does have upside though because we know Price probably more than any goalie in the league is capable of a Conn Smythe winning performance.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Price has been .928 the past 4 years.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Montreal had to get Price signed, and it is probably fair market value, but the last few years of this contract are going to be stinkers.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I am shocked at how many people think its overpayment.

10.5 million cap hit for a goalie. That is in the tier of highest cap hit players in the NHL and those other players have won championships. Price hasn't even made it to the Stanley Cup finals yet and his playoffs numbers in his career are worse then regular season. Giving a goalie 10.5 million cap hit is overpayment. He has the highest cap hit in the NHL from a goalie. A team shouldn't spend that much on a goalie.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
I’m always amazed at these contracts, of course this one is a stinker, but it’s the cost of getting Price for 4 or so serviceable years after his current deal… the remainder is the cost of doing business – in a non-cap situation they would only pay him for the years they want him, which isn’t 8.

The facts are the facts, only 4 goaltenders older than 29 have won Vezina in the last 35 years and going back and looking at every goaltender over the last 35 years the stats show that after 33 goaltenders older than that age have a save percentage no better than 22 year olds, which is to say, below league average.

This is how many goaltenders over 33 have played at least 20 games in the last few years

16/17 – 7
15/16 – 3
14/15 – 2
13/14 – 5
12/13 – 5

On average about 90 goaltenders see action any given year.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The situation is completely salvageable like I mentioned on the Habs board on Sunday... but the only thing to salvage it is new management, new player development and scouting staff, and a competent GM
Which won't happen under Molson. Bergevin is probably safe for at least two more seasons, since he's got Price's ink on a fresh new extension and traded for a young marketable francophone. The Habs will putter along near the top of the Atlantic and have a couple more 1st/2nd round exits along the way, all as Weber & Price get older and anything resembling a development pipeline shrivels up to nothing (unbelievable that Lefebvre is returning as AHL coach).

They're mediocre-good in the short term, completely toast in the long term. No hope of Cup contention for another generation, probably. Sad.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
well if they are talking about McD getting 13m

You don't see a difference between the league's best C at the age of 20 getting 13m and a very good 29 yr old goalie getting 10.5.... for 10 years? And per below you think 12m would have been okay...??

i could have easily seen CP get 11.5/12m.

So Price at 10.5 is an underpayment? Should he have held out for more? :laugh:

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
You don't see a difference between the league's best C at the age of 20 getting 13m and a very good 29 yr old goalie getting 10.5.... for 10 years? And per below you think 12m would have been okay...??

So Price at 10.5 is an underpayment? Should he have held out for more? :laugh:

He took a hometown discount. He would 100% get 12m+ as a FA. Goaltending is actually the most important position on the team and Price is the best by far. And he's just about to hit his prime.

LOL you'd think the Brodeurs and Roys had never existed the way people talk about goalies these days. History is littered with mediocre teams winning cups because of great goaltending, Pittsburgh being the latest.

He's going to be wearing cup rings when he re-signs for more than 10.5 in 8 years from now.

Edit: or maybe we trade him before july 1st for a huge package if one of our amazing goalie prospects looks to be the real deal. He is the habs biggest asset by far after all.

Last edited:

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
That would show up in SV%

You're talking to a Jets fan. Pavelec's highlight reel makes him seem like an elite goalie, so outrageous saves do nothing for me.

In the trapezoid era, puck moving goalies mean a lot less. (Don't get me started on the trapezoid. I hate it so much.)

Goalies have one job: Stop the effing puck. If you're a 0.920 goalie you're one of the best. If you're 0.915, you're league average. If you're 0.905 or below you're garbage tier.

This is pointless. It's a contract that couldn't have turned out any other way, and Price deserves it for his performances. It just stings the Canadiens, because you can get similar goaltending for a lot less.

I ask you simply.. if PRice was the goalie in EDM same roster otherwise.. would they be a better team or worse?

would it not help them be more intimidating?

Rangers were one of the highest scoring teams in the league and scored only 13 goals against price in 6 playoff games?

they scored 21 against ottawa the following series. Price is dominant. HE is much more then stats on paper. Teams tense up, grip their stick tighter.. over think their moves try to aim more, pick the corners.. etc

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I’m always amazed at these contracts, of course this one is a stinker, but it’s the cost of getting Price for 4 or so serviceable years after his current deal… the remainder is the cost of doing business – in a non-cap situation they would only pay him for the years they want him, which isn’t 8.

The facts are the facts, only 4 goaltenders older than 29 have won Vezina in the last 35 years and going back and looking at every goaltender over the last 35 years the stats show that after 33 goaltenders older than that age have a save percentage no better than 22 year olds, which is to say, below league average.

This is how many goaltenders over 33 have played at least 20 games in the last few years

16/17 – 7
15/16 – 3
14/15 – 2
13/14 – 5
12/13 – 5

On average about 90 goaltenders see action any given year.

sure but Hasek and BRodeur both have their highest win totals at the age of 38 or higher.

Luongo had one of his better seasons at 37

Brodeur made it to the finals at 39

Elite goaltending is another thing

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is a tough contract and spot to be in. Tough to deal a soon to be UFA goalie and get anywhere near fair value (especially given goalie market). Not to mention this is your franchise goalie/player, there would be severe fan/media backlash that could cost a GM his job + sink franchise for next 5 years given a lesser return. So you basicallu have to give him what hes asking for

If you only take into consideration his play then maybe 7 mil is closer to what hes going to bring over next 4/5 years ( I think hes a bit overrated to begin with but still top 5 goalie in league, just 10 mil better get you a player that will single handily win you series/ a cup). BUT there is other considerations. 10 mil wont cripple them now and hes still a top goalie. So by signing this deal, MB guarantees his short term future as GM as well as gives the team a chance to win. But kind of screws them in the future. But thats not his issue as highly unlikely hes here in 5 years (not many GMs last 5-10 years). Plus in future any contract can be traded, Lundqvuists deal was still tradeable last 2/3 years even when he was regressing

He made the neccessary move but robbed future to pay for present

Jul 6, 2016
Montreal had to get Price signed, and it is probably fair market value, but the last few years of this contract are going to be stinkers.

It was too early to re-sign him.

The contract is too long and too expensive.

Bergevin is crashing the plane big time in Montreal.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I ask you simply.. if PRice was the goalie in EDM same roster otherwise.. would they be a better team or worse?

Rangers were one of the highest scoring teams in the league and scored only 13 goals against price in 6 playoff games?

they scored 21 against ottawa the following series. Price is dominant. HE is much more then stats on paper. Teams tense up, grip their stick tighter.. over think their moves try to aim more, pick the corners.. etc

If Price was affecting other teams in that way, it would show up in his stats wouldn't it?

I don't know why I'm even trying. There's nothing I can show you to convince you.

If you see goalies, as I do, as one giant number (SV%) then you probably don't like this deal.

If you see goalies as more than that, as a player who can bring intangible benefits to a team, then you probably like this deal.

I don't even hate the deal. In a perfect world, I think goalies should get contracts like this, but the quality of the average goalie in the NHL has gone so far up, that Elite goaltending isn't really worth breaking the bank for. Also, as long as the cap continues to rise, as it has for the past few years, then there will be nothing wrong with this contract. I just see cap growth stagnating, and this contract hampering the habs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Talbot actually had a higher GSAA than Price this year (2nd in league for goalies) and GSAA takes into consideration difficulty of shots faced (Edmonton gave up more high danger chances). So Talbots year is even better than his raw sv% when this is taken in consideration. Oilers would have been better with Talbot this year

Moot point to compare the 2 tho as Price has 5+ years as a franchise goalie that needed to be paid for. Talbot was a 2 year starter with 1 elite year. If he keeps this up, hell be getting a ton as a UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad