Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Carey Price extended (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I disagree.
There has been no indication that Molson is dissatisfied with Bergevin.
On the contrary, it regularly seems that MB has as much rope to play with as he did the day he was hired.
This is the frustration of the Habs fans.
There is no real end in sight to this GMs damaging moves.
Hell, as of July 1st, he is just starting into his 5 year contract extension.
As long as the seats are filled in the Bell Center and the team has at least one "star" quality francophone player, the Habs will be in cruise control.

As for the Price contract issue...
It was inevitable that a goalie would get 10 million per year eventually. I don't see why it shouldn't be Price. If any current goaltender in the NHL is worth it, it's him.
If CP is smart, he'll play like a god for 2 years then request a trade.

The Molsons love Bergevin. He's there lackey. Its why he still has a job and why PK is not on the team.

Funny enough, If you had kept PK, maybe trading price for a 6 million dollar goalie would be more acceptable to habs fans but now you can't do that.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
To be fair, the doom and gloom of the Habs situation would be completely reversed if they could some how get a #1C and #2C.
Any big names hitting free agency next year?

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I think it's a good signing. People are saying let him walk - what for? To be a bad team and rebuild? That's silly.
The Canadiens needed to begin the process of a full rebuild the day after they stupidly traded Subban. The team structure is in no way that of a Cup contender, and there's no path for them to go anywhere but down. Their center depth remains atrocious, their blueline has gotten slower & less mobile than ever, but Price will mask the flaws and they'll market the hell out of Drouin, so the stands will be full and they'll play in the playoffs. For a couple years at least. But make no mistake, they're a pretender, and Price is just Bergevin's "save my job" card.

Five years from now they'll be completely hosed, akin to Vancouver. Price may well rue the day he signed this extension, because he's guaranteed himself of a fate akin to Lundqvist, except he likely won't even get to play in a Cup final. He'll certainly never win one in Montreal.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The Canadiens needed to begin the process of a full rebuild the day after they stupidly traded Subban. The team structure is in no way that of a Cup contender, and there's no path for them to go anywhere but down. Their center depth remains atrocious, their blueline has gotten slower & less mobile than ever, but Price will mask the flaws and they'll market the hell out of Drouin, so the stands will be full and they'll play in the playoffs. For a couple years at least. But make no mistake, they're a pretender, and Price is just Bergevin's "save my job" card.

Five years from now they'll be completely hosed, akin to Vancouver. Price may well rue the day he signed this extension, because he's guaranteed himself of a fate akin to Lundqvist, except he likely won't even get to play in a Cup final. He'll certainly never win one in Montreal.

I am by no means a Habs fan (quite the opposite) but I disagree with the bolded.
Obviously a true #1C is needed to win a cup and it's probably the most difficult position to fill, but close behind that is #1D (check), #1G (check) and winger depth (check).
While it's unlikely they get that C, if they did they'd be instant favourites in my opinion. I still think it was stupid that they didn't sign Thornton. He might not have been the missing piece for a cup but he definitely would have got them past the 1st round.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Habs had no choice...he is their best player...they backed themselves into it, and Price's agent was in control....

Bergevin has no clue on what he is doing...he couldn't build a Cup roster while Price made 6.5M, so now they seem doomed as he will make 10.5M

Yeah they had a choice. Let him walk. You really think he would? As if any other team would even offer him that kind of stupid contract? Besides, you have the next stud goalie in the system, right? You should. Most teams do.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Yeah they had a choice. Let him walk. You really think he would? As if any other team would even offer him that kind of stupid contract? Besides, you have the next stud goalie in the system, right? You should. Most teams do.

that's seriously ********. Would the pens let Crosby go because he asks for too much?

He's our best player and he's the reason why we make the playoffs each year.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
that's seriously ********. Would the pens let Crosby go because he asks for too much?

He's our best player and he's the reason why we make the playoffs each year.

Crosby is irreplaceable. Price is not. Supply and demand.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Price at 10.5 vs. say 8.5 isn't going to make or break Montreal's cup chances, despite what the capologists of HF Boards think.

Any 8 year deal is a risk.

If there is an argument to be made, it's the term is too long for a guy who has been a starting goaltender in the NHL since age 19-20 and has almost 600 games played by age 30.

Your looking at a Price who will have started between 1100-1200 games by age 39 if he plays say 65 games on average per season (regular season and playoffs).

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Price is certainly worth 10.5 mil....I'm just not sure I'd ever tie that much cap room up for a goalie.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Well, Ovi has no cup.. It's a gamble I guess.

Even more than a goalie, teams shouldn't have a winger as their highest paid player.
It should be in this order;

#1C
#1D
#2D
#1G
#1W
#2C
#3D

Everyone else shares the rest.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Even more than a goalie, teams shouldn't have a winger as their highest paid player.

#1C
#1D
#2D
#1G
#1W
#2C
#3D

I also agree with this. Not often do you see a team who's highest paid player is a W or G win the cup....at least not anytime recently, it's usually #1D or #1C.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I am by no means a Habs fan (quite the opposite) but I disagree with the bolded.
Obviously a true #1C is needed to win a cup and it's probably the most difficult position to fill, but close behind that is #1D (check), #1G (check) and winger depth (check).
While it's unlikely they get that C, if they did they'd be instant favourites in my opinion. I still think it was stupid that they didn't sign Thornton. He might not have been the missing piece for a cup but he definitely would have got them past the 1st round.

I think the order of priority is more like:
1D
1C
2C
2D
1G
Wingers
Lots of gaps in the Canadiens lineup

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think the order of priority is more like:
1D
1C
2C
2D
1G
Wingers
Lots of gaps in the Canadiens lineup

I agree to a certain extent but Pittsburgh just won with relative ease with a group of #3-#5 defensemen. Obviously having Malkin, Crosby and Kessel make a big difference, though.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

#1C
#1D
#2D
#1G
#1W
#2C
#3D

Ideally yes, but right now the Market for goalies is relatively soft IMO.

What was the difference between Cam Talbot and Carey Price last year? About seven or eight goals over the season.

Price: 0.924

Talbot: 0.919

Price saw around 1,800 shots last year.

Talbot made 1.45 Million last year.

So how much is eight goals against worth to a team?

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Well goodbye then. The object of the game is to win the Stanley Cup, not hang onto the best goalie for his entire career.

Montreal is not a contender. If they had a smart GM they would get on with a full rebuild and try to win the ultimate prize in 4 or 5 years. It's not like people in Montreal will stop going to hockey games.

The Canadiens won't be winning anything with Price in net, because they won't be high enough in the draft to get young, exceptional talent, and I think it's been shown you can't buy your way to a cup using free agency.

But hey if you are a Montreal fan and you're satisfied with 1st or 2nd round exits year after year, be my guest.

but in the last 7 years we made it to 2 ECF finals and one of them price was injured and we lost to Rangers.

I know it seems liek doom and gloom. but we need to upgrade at C. If Galchenyuk can play there this year and succeed... it would really solve alot of our issues.

nothing is written in stone... and its easy to say a certain team wont win a cup.. as not many stanley cup winners are awarded year in year out. Everyone thought Wash was stacked the last 6 years and they have been to less ECF then the habs have.

you get in you have a shot. look at ottawa this year.. one goal away from the SCF. and i really dont think they are a top 10 team.

We have gallagher, pacioretty drouin lehkonen glachenyuk and shaw as wingers.

thats too many top 6 wingers .. i dont see how having drouin or gallagher on the third line will help. pick one and trade them for a 2C.

maybe try to drag RNH away from Edm.

Galchenyuk and RNH up the middle is a really good 1-2 punch.

you cant build through the draft unless you tank for 5 years.

look at toronto. they had a top 6 pick for like 7 of 10 years.

buffalo same thing

chicago too

pittsburgh...

and so on and so one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad