Claimed off Waivers: [MTL] Canadiens claim D Johnathan Kovacevic off waivers from the Jets

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kovacevic is great. Well-rounded right hand shot with size, also great character. Ridiculous salary.

The only reason this guy was dumped so unceremoniously is because a lot of people are blinded by draft status. He was a late bloomer who was only drafted when he was 20 years old.
He wasn't dumped. Caught in a numbers game, Winnipeg waived him hoping he would pass.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
He wasn't dumped. Caught in a numbers game, Winnipeg waived him hoping he would pass.
Sure, they were hoping to make him rot in the AHL because they didn't think much of him. And they made the reasonable gamble that a lot of teams would also underrate the guy like they did.

But his draft status didn't tell the whole story. If he had been more of a "draft name", he might have been traded for a pick. Kovacevic was/is clearly a valuable player.

Making him pass through waiver is essentially dumping a guy, even if you're hoping to pick him back.

I'm glad he's finally had a real chance.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Sure, they were hoping to make him rot in the AHL because they didn't think much of him. And they made the reasonable gamble that a lot of teams would also underrate the guy like they did.

But his draft status didn't tell the whole story. If he had been more of a "draft name", he might have been traded for a pick. Kovacevic was/is clearly a valuable player.

Making him pass through waiver is essentially dumping a guy, even if you're hoping to pick him back.

I'm glad he's getting a chance too but to characterize it as "rot in the AHL" isn't right. He's behind 3 rightys already and the left side was jammed up with guys needing looks as well. It was numbers, they kept him around till late in camp so they did think he was worth it, also he got into some games last season.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Harris can get wore down with his size over time. I really like his skating, vision, and hockey IQ but playing in the NHL against those forwards is tough man. I'd like to see Harris add a few pounds of muscle this off season. He played 10 games with us last year and now 22 this year. 40 games is what he is use to from the NCAA. He will need some time to get his body use to the 82 NHL season grind.

Kova plays a simple game. More like north/south and I really like his ability to out muscle forwards along the walls. He was caught out of postion on the Wright goal last night though. Things to learn and improve on for a rookie.

Habs with 4 rookies and sticking in the middle of the pack is impressive.
not a huge fan of the rotation, but yeah loving those youngsters at D. It's so rare to see D get in teh lineup so young and perform, let alone 3

Reactions: Habs Halifax
Nov 24, 2006

What a strange viewpoint. The Jets felt just fine about him. Putting him on waivers does not equate to wanting him to rot in the AHL.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Waiving him allows every other team in the league to acquire him for free. That is the purpose of waivers. They could have just sat him in the press box all year.

Kovacevic's #1 all time fan here :laugh:

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

Just like when you guys threw Andrighetto away, right?

These waiver claims rarely become anything significant, even when they have a hot start with their new team, so be careful with this gloating.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
He's alright, but I don't see him being anything more than a decent #5/6.

Which is great to get for free on waivers, but I could see him bouncing around different teams bottom pair for most of his career.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
These waiver claims rarely become anything significant, even when they have a hot start with their new team, so be careful with this gloating.
I don't know where you've seen gloating. If you follow back to my original post, I was just pointing out that a lot of people tend to put too much emphasis on the draft pedigree of players when they evaluate them.

Then a bunch of Winnipeg Jets fans started to get touchy about this, because they either couldn't correctly read my posts or because they are sour about losing a valuable asset for nothing.

I'm personally not gloating and agree with you that he probably will not become a significant player. But I'm certainly happy with his play and think he has all the tools to have a career in the NHL as a bottom pairing defenseman. We got a positive value for free. I'm OK with that!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Just like when you guys threw Andrighetto away, right?

Probably more effective if you don't try and use a "skilled" forward who never eclipsed 10 goals in a season who has been out of the league for 3 years. Andrighetto is fine as a replacement level player, but he's exactly the type of guy you can throw away. Mete for example is still at least playing games in Toronto, even if its just due to injury.

Reactions: viceroy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Montreal was 1st in the waiver order - for all we know 30 other teams put a claim in on him.

I don’t know if by saying “a lot of teams would also underrate him And they did“ is fair.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Yeah I bet back in September Habs fans would have been clamoring for him :laugh:

Clamoring would be a strong word, but with us having waiver priority and very few NHL defensemen there was a contingent of posters who were hoping we would get him. Most obviously didn't really know who he was.

Reactions: hn777

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Probably more effective if you don't try and use a "skilled" forward who never eclipsed 10 goals in a season who has been out of the league for 3 years. Andrighetto is fine as a replacement level player, but he's exactly the type of guy you can throw away. Mete for example is still at least playing games in Toronto, even if its just due to injury.
Kovacevic is the exact same until proven otherwise

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He's alright, but I don't see him being anything more than a decent #5/6.

Which is great to get for free on waivers, but I could see him bouncing around different teams bottom pair for most of his career.

Yeah, that's what he is, a #5/#6, but he's a good one. Shot suppression is solid, he's physical, basically a perfect bottom pairing RD.

He seems happy to have a solid chance at a NHL spot, and wasn't disappointed at all about being waived (recent interview). Jets blueline is crowded, and he wanted a chance to play, which Montreal is giving him.

He's a rookie, so we'll see how much his game grows, but he's better than what you would normally get off waivers. Forsling would be another example of that.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not everyone. Just the positive value assets, like Kovacevik.
You think they didn't check around? Most teams face difficult decisions at the start of the season having to waive players to meet their roster limits. Other teams often just wait to see if someone better than what they have comes available.

Montreal waived Corey Perry. Tampa Bay waived Tyler Johnson. It happens.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Kovacevic is the exact same until proven otherwise

25 years old, 6'4 RHD playing 17 minutes a night including 2 on the PK. He's a +5 on a team that's -12. Signed for 3 more years at under 800k a year. Even if he never develops an inch beyond what he is now he's a great asset to have on the bottom pairing. Could he fall off a cliff? Sure, almost any player could.

Reactions: hn777 and viceroy

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
He has played good enough this year to prove that he is a bottom pairing defenceman. The thing is that he is a 25 year old rookie and has most likely maxed in his potential or has came close to maxing. He is 6’4 but doesn’t play a super physicality imposing game. If he was just six feet tall then no one would even mention his name.

Now I do blame Winnipeg for not even giving his a fair look but it is not like he is some star player for the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad