Claimed off Waivers: [MTL] Canadiens claim D Johnathan Kovacevic off waivers from the Jets

nags

Sep 27, 2006
He's kinda like a poor man's Ben Chiarot in terms of style and ability. Good dude though and he might still have NHL upside.
First off he is a right-handed shot which alone makes him more valuable. He is also a lot smarter than Benny. Benny loved to skate himself out of options until the only one remaining was "hard off the glass". Sorry, this is a bigger loss than most people recognize right now. He will be a low maintenance 5D/6D in this league for a long time.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Obviously not. He was the best RHD prospect in our kinda bare RHD prospect cupboard.
Winnipeg is actually fairly stocked at RD even after losing Johnathan Kovacevic to Montreal.

The Jets RD prospects are Gawanke, Lundmark, Bauer, (2022 picks) Elias Salomonsson and Garrett Brown.

LD Declan Chisholm has also played on the right side but predominantly plays on the left side.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Just need him to be a decent #5,#6 for 40 games or then one of the kids will get the call up

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
It's not the end of the world but I'm a little disappointed loosing him. I think he can be a solid #5/#6 in the NHL and once he gets some NHL experience maybe even fill in as a #4 in a pinch.

He probably should have been on the Jets roster last year but PM loved his journeymen and Chevy tried to keep him happy filling the roster with solid but unremarkable veterans who were just good enough to block younger players like Kovacevic.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Frustrating. The guy was playing well in the Moose system and scored at a good clip last year. We are short on RHD in our pipeline and suddenly our best prospect gets plucked. Please waive him again, I’d rather have him back as a call up.
He isn't worth that many words.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Sad for Jets, but happy for him getting a shot, maybe he can be a 6-7 d-man for a couple of years and then transit to a civilian life with his degree

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
To try to stash him in Laval but if Winnipeg reclaimed him they could send him directly to Manitoba AHL unless another team placed a claim.

Calgary claimed Zohorna from Pittsburgh a few days ago and he is now on waivers again, so if he passes through unclaimed Calgary could send him to the AHL if not any other team could place a claim if Pittsburgh is the only team to place a claim then he would be sent to Wilkes-Barre AHL.
Fair enough, but a guy who is a perfect short-term fix doesn't seem like the best candidate for this.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Literally never heard of this guy
Johnathan Kovacevic was drafted 74th overall in 2017 by the Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff.

Kovacevic is a 25 year old right shot 6’4” 210lbs defensemen who was born in Niagara Falls Ontario, Canada 🇨🇦 but is of Montenegrin and Bosnian decent who also has a civil engineering degree from Merrimack college of where he played for 3 seasons before turning professional in April 2019 with Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Kovacevic played his 1st NHL game on January 28th 2022 with the Jets against the Vancouver Canucks finishing the game with one shot on goal in 10:21 of ice time.

As a restricted free agent, Kovacevic was re-signed to a three-year contract extension with the Jets on July 22, 2022, was placed on waivers yesterday and was subsequently claimed off of waivers today by the Montreal Canadiens.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
With Xhekaj, a lefty from Albanian origin, it would potentially make it a 100% ex-Yougoslavian defensive 3rd pair for Montreal.

Exciting stuff!

Kovačević is actually from Niagra Falls, so likely doesn't care about others' nationality (speaking as someone of similar background, I know I don't).

Hell, most ex-Yugoslavians don't care that much about it in their native countries now either.

But, there's always ignorant people irregardless of where they're born, so who knows.

Anyways, was kind of bummed on losing Kovačević as the Jets are lacking on depth RHD, but hopefully he can turn into a solid NHLer. Whether he can be more than a 3rd pairing remains to be seen.

Reactions: bopeep

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
With Xhekaj, a lefty from Albanian origin, it would potentially make it a 100% ex-Yougoslavian defensive 3rd pair for Montreal.

Exciting stuff!
I don't think Albania was part of Yugoslavia. Regardless... they're some of my favourite countries in the world. The whole Balkan peninsula is incredible.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Think it’s time to bump this.

Montreal fans are pumping the tires of Arber Xhekaj and Jordan Harris - but this kid is without a doubt the best of the bunch.

I think Winnipeg messed up trying to let this kid through waivers.

Reactions: hn777

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Montreal fans are pumping the tires of Arber Xhekaj and Jordan Harris - but this kid is without a doubt the best of the bunch.

Meh.... I'd put him tied at third after Guhle and Xhekaj, tied with Harris.

He's done just fine, but Guhle plays like a 5 year veteran and Xhekaj makes an impact every game he plays.

Reactions: uncleben

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Om not sure Jets messed up, could be an agreement between player and gm, if he did not take a spot, we will waive you and see if you can play somewhere else

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He is solid, but not best of the bunch......he was a very nice waiver pickup. 3 yr contract in place and all.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

I am not sure i agree with this. Closer to his upside, maybe (3rd pairing D). Xhekaj is ahead of him and Harris seems to be struggling - i blame the weird D rotation we got going - but he has way more upside IMO.

That being said, cant really complain; Kova is doing honest work. It may be that we picked up a Kulak in the making

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I am not sure i agree with this. Closer to his upside, maybe (3rd pairing D). Xhekaj is ahead of him and Harris seems to be struggling - i blame the weird D rotation we got going - but he has way more upside IMO.

That being said, cant really complain; Kova is doing honest work. It may be that we picked up a Kulak in the making

Steadier than Kulak imho.

He's the textbook stable defensive defenseman who's gonna suppress opponents offensive opportunities without us noticing it. Just by his positioning and stick play.

His best attribute is his smart.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Harris can get wore down with his size over time. I really like his skating, vision, and hockey IQ but playing in the NHL against those forwards is tough man. I'd like to see Harris add a few pounds of muscle this off season. He played 10 games with us last year and now 22 this year. 40 games is what he is use to from the NCAA. He will need some time to get his body use to the 82 NHL season grind.

Kova plays a simple game. More like north/south and I really like his ability to out muscle forwards along the walls. He was caught out of postion on the Wright goal last night though. Things to learn and improve on for a rookie.

Habs with 4 rookies and sticking in the middle of the pack is impressive.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Kovacevic is great. Well-rounded right hand shot with size, also great character. Ridiculous salary.

The only reason this guy was dumped so unceremoniously is because a lot of people are blinded by draft status. He was a late bloomer who was only drafted when he was 20 years old.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad