Proposal: Mtl / Cal

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
I like Dude but I dough Calgary does this. They need more Forwards, more then to trade one of them. If Calgary does go in the trade market I think thy will trade one or more of there surpluses of Defenseman

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Hoffman at best has neutral value at best.

Bjorkstrand was just traded for a 2nd + 3rd and he is the far better/younger player.

Edit: I was wrong. It was a 3rd and 4th not 2nd and 3rd.

Last edited:

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Hoffman definitely has negative value right now, I imagine Calgary says no. Even if you think he doesn't, why would Calgary trade a cheaper player that is 8 years younger and put up similar numbers last year? I know Hoffman has put up bigger numbers in the past and could rebound, but it seems incredibly risky for the Flames even ignoring the possible cap problems that it could give them in re-signing Mangiapane and Kylington this year and potentially re-signing Huberdeau and Weegar next year.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Both teams say no. Calgary doesn't want to get older when they may be heading into an involuntary rebuild, and Montreal won't trade for anyone involved in the Team Canada investigation.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Some of you Habs fans need to get with the program. Your team is tanking and there is no reason to pay teams to take a Hoffman or Savard off your hands.

It will cost more than you want or should pay to trade a Hoffman. It would cost you something like Barron to trade Hoffman. Just stomach the bad contracts a few more years, make your lottery picks and see you in 2025 as a potential playoff team.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Some of you Habs fans need to get with the program. Your team is tanking and there is no reason to pay teams to take a Hoffman or Savard off your hands.

It will cost more than you want or should pay to trade a Hoffman. It would cost you something like Barron to trade Hoffman. Just stomach the bad contracts a few more years, make your lottery picks and see you in 2025 as a potential playoff team.
Hoffman and Savard aren't the same btw.
No wouldn't cost Barron to dump Hoffman either.
Yes we will run their contracts until they end or they have little value as expiring contracts come tdl

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yes we will run their contracts until they end or they have little value as expiring contracts come tdl
I'm finding fans expect to get a lot for their cap space... Buying out Mason got the Habs a stalled Armia ( 29 point guy, 7 years after his draft year), a 4th and a 7th. I know cap space is tight but sometimes expectations are unreasonable...

Reactions: jfhabs

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm finding fans expect to get a lot for their cap space... Buying out Mason got the Habs a stalled Armia ( 29 point guy, 7 years after his draft year), a 4th and a 7th. I know cap space is tight but sometimes expectations are unreasonable...
Very different cap environment than today. Teams wanted the Flyers 2023 1st unprotected to take on one year of JVR. Not the year to be dumping cap unless you absolutely have to. No to Hoffman for Dube. Dube is a guy I'd target as a break out candidate if I was other clubs though. Lethal speed and good shot, could score 25 soon.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No way.

Hoffman is turning 33 and looks done, coming off a 35 point season. Hoffman, in his prime, was a great goal scorer who was poor defensively. Now he seems to have lost his goal scoring talent.

Dube's value is quickly dropping too, but he's half the price of Hoffman.

Calgary is in no position to help teams out with cap.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009

Dumping Nemeth, a guy who makes a little over half of what Hoffman does, cost a 2nd and a 3rd less than a month ago which is a much better comparable for the current market. Kassian cost a 2nd, a 3rd and 3 spots at the end of the 1st.I think you're underestimating the cost of cap space in the current market.

That being said, I don't think the Habs are going to be paying anybody to take on their cap dumps. They'll squeak in under the cap as they are and unless they wildly outperform expectations they aren't going to be looking to take on any salary.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Dumping Nemeth, a guy who makes a little over half of what Hoffman does, cost a 2nd and a 3rd less than a month ago which is a much better comparable for the current market. Kassian cost a 2nd, a 3rd and 3 spots at the end of the 1st.I think you're underestimating the cost of cap space in the current market.

That being said, I don't think the Habs are going to be paying anybody to take on their cap dumps. They'll squeak in under the cap as they are and unless they wildly outperform expectations they aren't going to be looking to take on any salary.
I have no illusion that Hoffman holds value, but his contract is ok, and like most Habs his numbers looked worse than they should last season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think it would cost more than Barron. I should have said Barron +. This idea any tr would help the Habs out and take on bad contracts is silly. They won’t. They’ll rip your face off if Hughes is stupid enough to execute a cap dump trade.

Habs have a ton of bad contracts and no buyers for them. So just hold them and play Hoffman. Maybe he’ll play better.

And if not, retain 50% and take whatever is offered at the TDL in the year he’s expiring.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: voxel and jfhabs

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Noooo.

We don't need Hoffman. Dube is a good piece for us minus being tied to the scandal.

Flames would not want to take on cap. We'd rather put that cap to use and figure out a package for a top 6C we so desperately need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Glad to see your moving from "Habs fans" to "Some of you Habs fans" with your narratives. But you need to move a bit more yet. How many Habs fans do you see supporting this trade? Look in the mirror a bit more with your Habs hate bud. Your're almost there... don't stop now.

How about you talk directly to the ones who think this is a good trade? Might be a better play for you vs trying to group people

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it would cost more than Barron. I should have said Barron +. This idea any tr would help the Habs out and take on bad contracts is silly. They won’t. They’ll rip your face off if Hughes is stupid enough to execute a cap dump trade.

Habs have a ton of bad contracts and no buyers for them. So just hold them and play Hoffman. Maybe he’ll play better.

And if not, retain 50% and take whatever is offered at the TDL in the year he’s expiring.

It's a bad time to try to move out salary but it's a good time for you to jump on the Habs with the bad contract narratives and ignore the flat cap issues.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That was 2018. There has been a very significant change in the leagues economics since that deal. The cap has gone flat, escrow is higher than ever and cap space is at more of a premium. Using the 2018 Mason trade does not reflect the current financial landscape of the league.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
That was 2018. There has been a very significant change in the leagues economics since that deal. The cap has gone flat, escrow is higher than ever and cap space is at more of a premium. Using the 2018 Mason trade does not reflect the current financial landscape of the league.
The last sentence in my post litterally covers that times have changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00