Confirmed Trade: [MTL/BUF] Eric Staal (@50%) for 2021 3rd and 5th round picks

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Next year he’ll sign a cheap deal with Winnipeg or something in an area where he wants to be and he’ll score 50-60. This is what he does. This year though? As soon as he got traded to Buffalo in the off-season he went on auto-pilot and don’t give a f*** right now.
I think he fell in love with Minnesota. He's got nothing to prove and wants the old man things of security and family. Unless he's a fourth liner in Minny, he's never going to give any effort elsewhere...but he sure likes the money.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The game has so many young guys coming in who play super fast, that a lot of the older guys really do struggle to keep up. Maybe in the playoffs, when more obstruction, holding, and hooking (on and off pucks) is let go these older slower players will do better?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he fell in love with Minnesota. He's got nothing to prove and wants the old man things of security and family. Unless he's a fourth liner in Minny, he's never going to give any effort elsewhere...but he sure likes the money.
Yet he accepted less money to play for MN, and was the best bargain of his FA class by a long shot, putting up 100 goals in three seasons while being paid 3.5M. Your effort to portray him as a money grubbing athlete is flat out wrong.

You don't like him? We'll gladly trade you our #1C, Victor Rask.

The efforts to blame Staal for MTL's mediocrity is ridiculous. He was an inexpensive add at the TDL...did you think you were going to get anything but an aging vet on his last legs? Your GM is the incompetent one. If his last name was Smith he would've been fired long ago.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yet he accepted less money to play for MN, and was the best bargain of his FA class by a long shot, putting up 100 goals in three seasons while being paid 3.5M. Your effort to portray him as a money grubbing athlete is flat out wrong.

You don't like him? We'll gladly trade you our #1C, Victor Rask.

The efforts to blame Staal for MTL's mediocrity is ridiculous. He was an inexpensive add at the TDL...did you think you were going to get anything but an aging vet on his last legs? Your GM is the incompetent one. If his last name was Smith he would've been fired long ago.
You stated exactly my point. He LOVES Minnesota, so he doesn't mind playing there for a low-end check.

But elsewhere, it's dispassionate busy work there.

Where did you get that I'm trying to blame all of Montreal woes on Staal?

I already know Bergevin's dumb valuations for stay-at-homers while utterly disregarding legit puck-movers is the primary issue behind Montreal's problems.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The game has so many young guys coming in who play super fast, that a lot of the older guys really do struggle to keep up. Maybe in the playoffs, when more obstruction, holding, and hooking (on and off pucks) is let go these older slower players will do better?
In the same draft Suter, Fleury are still playing well, Burns is overpaid but still producing, Perry is a good bottom 6 guy. All players have different windows but Staal s is over.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Watched him for years in Carolina. He is a guy who will coast without someone pushing him. Erik Cole pushed him and he had his best years for the Canes. He had the ability to take over a game when he wanted to. I appreciate the positives he brought, but he is frustrating to watch.

Reactions: Stickpucker

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007

Lol he made over 86m so far i think his family is going to be ok.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
So looking back at this topic. Majority still thinks its a total waste?
well he did play decently the other nite in game 7, provides decent depth , only cost a third and a fifth unlike other teams who gave away firsts like candy . no big loss considering they still have two thirds and two fifths

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Totally. He is done.

He's the second best point-producing Hab these playoffs. Also one of the only players on the team to end the series with a positive +/-. He still has one of the best shot on the team from our lefties. Just because a player is old and not dominating doesn't mean he is "done".

Every time a former star is being used as a depth forward people claim he's done. I'd rather have a guy like him than a complete non-factor like DeLarose,Mete, Peca, etc... guys that completely suck but they aren't "done" because supposedly the best is yet to come.

Staal is exactly the kind of player Kotkaniemi needs to take notes on. It seems he may already have because he has already improved in the face-off circle. That's another area that was a huge weakness for us this year and we are a better team in that respect since Staal arrived.

For the dollars (Buffalo retained half his salary) and assets spent, I'm OK with what Staal has provided.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Staal has redeemed himself post season a good amount in my view.. He has 4 assists in 6 games, which means he has played a hand in almost 30% of Montreal's 14 goals. He is more engaged than in the regular season, though that would not have taken much. Playing with Perry I think is helping to push him to play better.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He was terrible in regular season but he came to play in the playoffs. Happy with him as of now

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
He's the second best point-producing Hab these playoffs. Also one of the only players on the team to end the series with a positive +/-. He still has one of the best shot on the team from our lefties. Just because a player is old and not dominating doesn't mean he is "done".

Every time a former star is being used as a depth forward people claim he's done. I'd rather have a guy like him than a complete non-factor like DeLarose,Mete, Peca, etc... guys that completely suck but they aren't "done" because supposedly the best is yet to come.

Staal is exactly the kind of player Kotkaniemi needs to take notes on. It seems he may already have because he has already improved in the face-off circle. That's another area that was a huge weakness for us this year and we are a better team in that respect since Staal arrived.

For the dollars (Buffalo retained half his salary) and assets spent, I'm OK with what Staal has provided.
the critics right now are having a hard time finding anything to chew on .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad