Confirmed Trade: [MTL/BUF] Eric Staal (@50%) for 2021 3rd and 5th round picks

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I’m surprised he even did as well as he did with the Wild. He was brutal on the Rangers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m surprised he even did as well as he did with the Wild. He was brutal on the Rangers.
This has been hashed, and rehashed. NYR played him out of position at wing, and he was " brutal" for a part of a season. That's on your organization. He was at least good, if not excellent with the Wild for four years. He might've missed a game or two in that span. One season he had 42 goals, tying Gaborik's team record. He was the best bargain in the 2016 FA class, and it wasn't particularly close. When it came to re-up, he did it for even less, just so he could stay in MN.
In spite of that he was inexplicably traded to Buffalo, and had a bad season in a historically crap team whose coach went out of his way to make players worse. Now he is on a team who doesn't seem to have an identity, but is just a conglomerate of players put together by a GM desperate to make some sort of noise in the playoffs, but not really having a clue how to do it. Is it any wonder he is having a bad year?
Staal was slowing down in MN, for sure, but the guy NEVER whined in MN, always showed up for games( I think he missed a game or two because of suspension?), and was the most productive Center they have ever had despite his age. Guerin trading him for a more expensive, injury prone, Marcus Johansson made no sense at the time, and it still doesn't.

Those in NYR, Buffalo, and now MTL seemed to be wanting to blame Staal, rather than their incompetent management. I am not saying he is a great player now, but it didn't take a genius to figure out that Eric just wanted to play out the string in MN( and on a bottom six salary, at that), and had zero interest in moving.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Lottery tickets as opposed to a player who shouldnt be playing minutes on a team fighting to make the playoffs?

Staal was and still is the better lottery ticket. He might score a goal in playoffs, or make an important backcheck. Those picks more likely never play in a playoff game.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Staal was and still is the better lottery ticket. He might score a goal in playoffs, or make an important backcheck. Those picks more likely never play in a playoff game.
Jake Evans, the rookie he is replacing in the lineup, is better in every way and has a better chance at doing anything like that.

Reactions: 1909 and jellybeans

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Montreal can't draft, so those picks would gave been as useful as Staal. Actually, probably not. They wouldn't win faceoffs

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
LOL. Oh geez. You don't seriously believe that, do you? I suppose anything can happen, but the way they've played all year long?........They are just not a very good team, Man.
I do believe it Will be in the playoffs and will surprise

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Maybe he's why Buffalo was on that losing streak.
He wasn't helping but they were competitive enough before the team stopped believing in the coach so their record is definitely 90% on Krueger's mismanagement Stall was somehow glued to the 2nd line despite being the slowest guy on the team and that team has Okposo on it!

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
No question worst addition by any team at the TDL. Looks like an ex-pro out for a leisure skate in beer league. 2 goals and -8 in 12 GP and one of them bounced off his skate. He has sucked the entire team down with him. Should bench him but no doubt our GM won’t allow it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I said when he was traded to Montreal that I wasn't convinced that he was going to the right team I'm still not

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He's been awful, I'm not sure a "right team" can fix his skating. Though it kinda looks like he's not giving his best effort either.

Next year he’ll sign a cheap deal with Winnipeg or something in an area where he wants to be and he’ll score 50-60. This is what he does. This year though? As soon as he got traded to Buffalo in the off-season he went on auto-pilot and don’t give a f*** right now.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
While I am sure that his best days are behind him, I would still bet with anyone here that he's scoring at least one playoff goal against the Leafs.

Reactions: smitty10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad