Confirmed with Link: MTL-ARI: Max Domi for Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

I think Galchenyuk has been gifted opportunities and also treated unfairly, if that's possible.

For many years his usage was very sheltered and he always had good linemates.

My issue is in a year like the past they elected to play Byron at C over him, I think that's pretty pathetic.

As for the rest I mean, Galchenyuk is a guy who in an easier position(wing vs C) he looks like a 2nd line talent. It's hard to believe he'll be a 1st line talent just because he's a C. A position he hasn't played full time since he was like 16? He'll make more points, most centers do but we'll have to wait and see.

I wish Galchenyuk the best, if this is what he wants then why should I hope for any less?

I agree 100%. I think he could've been a better player had they treated him better but I also think he could have layed off some other things to get to a point where he forced management's hands.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'd bet it's Julien. We had Russians every year and then the first off-season Julien is HC and within a year all but 1 is left with another in the AHL.

could just be the cycle ..i mean were 7 years in ...
Gainey sent Kosty bros packing Kovelev and more etc etc...

Was Emelin worth 4 million? nope....but at 2 ..2.5 milliion yes
Markov was 38 ..not 28 ....

JCR

Mar 21, 2016
Arizona I'd say is the worst. NYI up there.

These teams bounce around not sure where their arena will be to playing with idea of bankruptcy.

You could love the cities but hard to be inspired if you're a fan or player IMO.

You mention well those teams, they're bad too, but apart from all their problems, I think there's one thing that we don't have, and they might, which is hope, with this GM, IMO, we have none, I could be wrong, but we need to wait for this Draft outcome, if Habs will have or not good picks, and that would make this off-season, for better, or for worst.

But even for that, I don't get too much hopes, just remember our 2012 3rd pick, Alex Galchenyuk, which was now traded to Arizona, and since there wasn't any complete overhaul, on Habs' organization, that is why I don't have too much expectations, for this team, either on Draft and off-season trades!

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You mention well those teams, they're bad too, but apart from all their problems, I think there's 1 thing that we don't have, and they might, which is hope, with this GM, IMO, we have none, I could be wrong, but we need to wait for this Draft outcome, if Habs will have or not good picks, and that would make this off-season, for better, or for worst.

But even for that, I don't get too much hopes, just remember our 2012 3rd pick, Alex Galchenyuk, which was now traded to Arizona, and since there wasn't any complete overhaul, on Habs' organization, that is why I don't have too much expectations,
for this team, either on Draft and off-season trades!

I think you didn't read my post. Those teams don't even know which arena is best for them to play in and they have hope? Arizona had an owner file for bankruptcy, a prospective buyer try to move them to Hamilton and now I believe they were in a battle with the city at one point over funding?

I'm sorry I just don't see hope. It's not the GM, coach or players fault but Arizona is a pretty shit organization right now. They just don't have enough money to compete.

As for NYI..why would Tavares be on the brink of leaving? He might stay but that team just fired coach, GM and their star talent and captain might leave. Define 'hope'?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
could just be the cycle ..i mean were 7 years in ...
Gainey sent Kosty bros packing Kovelev and more etc etc...

Was Emelin worth 4 million? nope....but at 2 ..2.5 milliion yes
Markov was 38 ..not 28 ....

Julien was the HC at boston for 10 years, how many Russians did he have? Khokhlachev and he wouldn't play him. Just seems very odd the first off-season and all but Galchenyuk are gone and then he's treated like shit from Julien and by the end of the year he's gone now too.

Markov would have been miles better then anyone we had on our blueline this year.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Julien was the HC at boston for 10 years, how many Russians did he have? Khokhlachev and he wouldn't play him. Just seems very odd the first off-season and all but Galchenyuk are gone and then he's treated like **** from Julien and by the end of the year he's gone now too.

Markov would have been miles better then anyone we had on our blueline this year.

How many Russians on Edmonton?....that's the GM

To say our GM doesnt like Russian , i dont think that's right...

If Bergevin brings in 12 Russians this offseason...the coach plays them

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Julien was the HC at boston for 10 years, how many Russians did he have? Khokhlachev and he wouldn't play him. Just seems very odd the first off-season and all but Galchenyuk are gone and then he's treated like **** from Julien and by the end of the year he's gone now too.

If this is in fact true this would be so ludicrous. You know the thread on here about the french speaking team and how would they fare? Try a Russian speaking team and they will pulp up the french team. Russians are an essential part of the NHL and if you are blacklisting all Russians you are putting your self at a major disadvantage.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If you have one of the highest paid HC's in the hockey world at 5M per, you think they don't have a say in the roster? There's no way MB doesn't talk to Julien about players he wants in and out. He's already started to treat Scherbak like ****, let's see how that works out.

lol..you think Claude had a hand in the dfense core last year?You think he was onboard for that?
lol..he couldn't even pick his own asst coaches..and i still dont think he has...i mean do you think he asked Bergy for Ducharme? ...i dont ..

..I dont think he (Julien)had much say on that roster last year to be honest....

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I still remember how he handled both Markov and Kovalev in 03-04. Like shit.

Markov had a tougher time due to personnal reasons (fathers death), but Julien made him work to get back to the 1st PP unit, even if he was our most skilled player by a mile.

After getting Kovalev, he proceeded to put him on the third line LW, where he basically had never played, until Kovy forced his hand in the POs.

Maybe Julien doesnt hate Russians for being Russian, but I can guarantee he despises any sort of unstructured play.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I still remember how he handled both Markov and Kovalev in 03-04. Like ****.

Markov had a tougher time due to personnal reasons (fathers death), but Julien made him work to get back to the 1st PP unit, even if he was our most skilled player by a mile.

After getting Kovalev, he proceeded to put him on the third line LW, where he basically had never played, until Kovy forced his hand in the POs.

Maybe Julien doesnt hate Russians for being Russian, but I can guarantee he despises any sort of unstructured play.

lol Kovelev everywhere he went head butted with coaches....

I mean Bob Gainey took him for a walk....remember?

Actually Kovelev is now coaching in KHL..lol we might see him again...

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not the hate type and I'm not the type to exaggerate every move as a negative. I think this is where I was labeled a Bergevin lover in the past. There were countless times I highlighted his negative moves but all people seen was the post wars against the exaggeration. I was on record saying over and over again... Started off by saying he has not done a bad job but his job is not done yet. Then I changed it a year later to evaluating him on his ability to adapt and learn from his previous mistakes. Now today, I think he has not learned and is stubborn. He does not know how to manage elite level talent and the trends are piling up.

I call it like I see it. He disrespected Habs fans by saying "Domi played out west and Habs fans don't know much about him". Public speaking is not his strength and he knows he is not popular with our fan base so everything he says now is under the microphone. If he truly believes we don't know what kind of player Domi is, he is delusional.

Whether you're the hate type or not is irrelevant. You tried to make it seem like the people that poured on the hate were irrational and so their arguments never held up. You were 100% about them.
How people show their discontent with the management was besides the point. Many tried to make you understand this, myself included, but you refused to give any credence to this.
You acknowledged he did some wrong, still, you were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Just because you could point to obvious mistakes doesn't mean you were level headed or rational here.
It's like the racist who says he has a black friend therefore cannot be racist..

Not trying to put you on trial here, but maybe it's time you stop calling those people haters as it turns out they were 100% on the money. I don't know one poster here who just hated on every move. Even his most harshest critics recognized some of the good moves. Nobody hated on the Radulov signing. Nobody hated on the Vanek trade. Maybe they criticized him for not signing Radu to a longer term, and guess what, they were right. Maybe they were upset for not finding a Vanek replacement, and ya, they were right again.

You were not ready to give up on Bergevin after 4-5 years. That's okay. Your arguments weren't good back then and people tried to show you Bergevin for what he was, but you weren't really interested in what was being said. You stuck with your guns. Now you finally see him for what he's always been, a complete fraud of a GM. Good on you to join us, but stop trying to make the people who were able to call BS on him before you as just haters or exaggerators.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

He got to win a gold medal. He was never going to win a Stanley Cup. Especially if he could not defend an aging Rick Nash.

I am not sad to see the Canadiens becoming more Canadian. The Russian footprint was Gainey's.

Domi can skate. Really fly. He will not turn over the puck on the blue line like Galchenyuk did.

I do agree though. Julien clearly does not like Russians.

I wish he disliked lazy, whiny, American captains of Canada's team as much.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Its echoed pretty much by everyone.
They never liked the player to begin with and the org as a whole was not interested in working with him.
The reality is if Bergevin had got the job earlier than a few weeks before the draft, say January, the Habs don't draft Galchenyuk in 2012.

I'm not sure if they wouldn't have drafted him. I think the problems started with Therrien.
Bergevin let Therrien push Galchenyuk and Eller down, he relied on DD and Plekanec to run his offense down the middle. That made Bergevin extend DD when he should have been planning on what wingers to bring in to surround and help Galchenyuk.
This was one of the reasons I was all for signing Jagr. One of the best puck protectors along the boards and most creative wingers to ever play the game. How do you not sign this guy when you just drafted such a talented young player, especially when you know getting a very skilled center will be difficult, the only option you have for veteran talented guidance will come from the wings.

What Ferraro says also applies to Eller. Now, Lars is not as talented as Galchenyuk. He doesn't have as much offensive talent and potential, but he wasn't drafted 13th overall for no reason either.
Eller had the potential to be a top 2 center and he was on his way to becoming one.
Under Martin, he was brought up slowly, properly. As a 4th line center, low but regular sheltered ice time. The following year, Martin was using him more and bringing him along as the 3rd line center. Cunneyworth didn't know how to use him properly but still, it was on an interim basis and Eller managed to finish with 16g 28pts on bottom 6. A good progression from the previous season.
Michel Therrien when asked about Eller after taking over, said this was a make or break year for Eller. How does he help Eller "make it"? By using him on 4th line to start the season and scratching him after 1 game making him the scapegoat of a terribly unprepared Habs team.
Eller, by no help from his coach, battles hard to get his 3rd center spot back, where he outproduces DD.
Following year....well..we all know what happens.

No help whatsoever from his coach or this organization. There is no doubt in my mind he could have become a more consistent center and his offensive skills more developed.

This organization is utterly clueless about development. Hopefully Bouchard can bring some much needed help there, but Bergevin and the NHL level staff I have huge doubts on.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Why does everything need to be a conspiracy around here.... Maybe losing Emelin and Markov had more to do with age and money than their nationality? If Galchenyuk gets lumped in, does that mean all former Eastern Bloc countries are on Julien's hit list? Because guys like Galchenyuk, Sergachev, and Scherbak have all been coached to play NA hockey - it must just be pure xenophobia. Maybe it's the accents he doesn't like? Should mean that Plekanec is definitely out and Finnish players might be close behind.

Come on guys, we're better than this.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'm not sure if they wouldn't have drafted him. I think the problems started with Therrien.
Bergevin let Therrien push Galchenyuk and Eller down, he relied on DD and Plekanec to run his offense down the middle. That made Bergevin extend DD when he should have been planning on what wingers to bring in to surround and help Galchenyuk.
This was one of the reasons I was all for signing Jagr. One of the best puck protectors along the boards and most creative wingers to ever play the game. How do you not sign this guy when you just drafted such a talented young player, especially when you know getting a very skilled center will be difficult, the only option you have for veteran talented guidance will come from the wings.

What Ferraro says also applies to Eller. Now, Lars is not as talented as Galchenyuk. He doesn't have as much offensive talent and potential, but he wasn't drafted 13th overall for no reason either.
Eller had the potential to be a top 2 center and he was on his way to becoming one.
Under Martin, he was brought up slowly, properly. As a 4th line center, low but regular sheltered ice time. The following year, Martin was using him more and bringing him along as the 3rd line center. Cunneyworth didn't know how to use him properly but still, it was on an interim basis and Eller managed to finish with 16g 28pts on bottom 6. A good progression from the previous season.
Michel Therrien when asked about Eller after taking over, said this was a make or break year for Eller. How does he help Eller "make it"? By using him on 4th line to start the season and scratching him after 1 game making him the scapegoat of a terribly unprepared Habs team.
Eller, by no help from his coach, battles hard to get his 3rd center spot back, where he outproduces DD.
Following year....well..we all know what happens.

No help whatsoever from his coach or this organization. There is no doubt in my mind he could have become a more consistent center and his offensive skills more developed.

This organization is utterly clueless about development. Hopefully Bouchard can bring some much needed help there, but Bergevin and the NHL level staff I have huge doubts on.

This team just needed a #1 and #2center to compete for the stanley cup and we had them in our f***ing organization all along. It's friggin maddening the level of incompetence that ruined this franchise and continues to run amok unabated.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I don't really care about losing Galchenyuk if the return is Domi. Alex had 6 years here to take the matter into his own hands and despite all the mishandling we can agree on, he still has major consistency issues on his effort levels. I mean there are people who will give him a pass for that or provide excuses for that but not me. We need more leadership and less passengers. I think most here are stats watching and don't realize how good Domi is. Ripping into him before they even see him play more than a handful of games, but yet tolerated 6 years of a player unworthy of wearing the jersey half the games he played. Let him have his mad streak of meaningless goals at the end of the season elsewhere.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I don't really care about losing Galchenyuk if the return is Domi. Alex had 6 years here to take the matter into his own hands and despite all the mishandling we can agree on, he still has major consistency issues on his effort levels. I mean there are people who will give him a pass for that or provide excuses for that but not me. We need more leadership and less passengers. I think most here are stats watching and don't realize how good Domi is. Ripping into him before they even see him play more than a handful of games, but yet tolerated 6 years of a player unworthy of wearing the jersey half the games he played. Let him have his mad streak of meaningless goals at the end of the season elsewhere.

That's just great let's just propogate the lazy russian meme. Can't win with Russians... except in Washington... and Pittsburgh etc...

So Galchenyuk never lived up to the hype does that mean we are lowering the bar for Domi or are we still expecting him to be a superstar? Here's some breaking news for you... the lazy russian will outscore the hardworking canadian boy next season. Book it. Pretty sure Weber and Shaw were brought in for their leadership. Didn't do a damn f***ing thing to keep the team from sucking.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
That's just great let's just propogate the lazy russian meme. Can't win with Russians... except in Washington... and Pittsburgh etc...

So Galchenyuk never lived up to the hype does that mean we are lowering the bar for Domi or are we still expecting him to be a superstar? Here's some breaking news for you... the lazy russian will outscore the hardworking canadian boy next season. Book it. Pretty sure Weber and Shaw were brought in for their leadership. Didn't do a damn ****ing thing to keep the team from sucking.

I know my point of view won't sit well with a lot people, but let's not put words in my mouth here please. A vast majority of my favorite players happen to be russians... if anything galchenyuk is a lazy american.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This team just needed a #1 and #2center to compete for the stanley cup and we had them in our ****ing organization all along. It's friggin maddening the level of incompetence that ruined this franchise and continues to run amok unabated.
The thing is it would have been somewhat acceptable for them to fail with Galchenyuk and Eller.
I mean, failing is not okay but at least they would have tried with the proper players.
Instead Bergevin just kept the status quo for as long as he could, did not know how to properly surround the players in place, so it led to a couple years of success thanks to the inherited players until he eventually was forced to make moves, which leads to our current team.
Disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad