Confirmed with Link: MTL-ARI: Max Domi for Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
That myth is rampant because it's propagated by media and culture. Maths and finance are seen as the epitome of intelligence. But it's not. Trying to understand human behaviour through genetics, epigenetics and neurobiology is far more complex and requires something math-heads often don't have; an understanding of the subtleties of context and the sheer complexity of all the variables involved.

When it comes to complex systems, there's no greater complexity than human behavior and biological development. That's why Robert Sapolsky's bio course ar Stanford has two mandatory readings; his own Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers and James Gleick's Chaos.

As a scientist, I can say: your post was utter garbage. IQ predicts/correlates with mathematical proficiency and comprehension of any abstract concept nearly perfectly. It is proven by more than 15,000 research papers and it is the most rigorously proven concept in Psychology and Social Sciences.

You've also casually confused the challenges related with the interpretation of behaviours with the skills that lead to the comprehension of abstract concepts, this is highly intellectually reprehensible. Of course, a high IQ helps in understanding the concepts of genetics, epi-genetics and neurobiology. Dah! Predicting behaviours is not settled science, we are barely just getting started, and no, Math-heads (high IQs) won't lack the intelligence to understand the subtleties of all the variables involved. Total, absolute, nonsense. High IQs will be the ones most likely to lead to discoveries in this field like in most others scientific endeavours.

A high IQ doesn't make anyone a better or more valuable human being. It just helps solve abstraction problems.

As much as Id like to predict or speculate on Bergevin's IQ, I don't think it is our place to do that, it can fall into something highly toxic fairly quickly. Let's say that the decision pattern of the management group (not just Bergevin), have created a bad impression thus far.

Reactions: Pointed Finger

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
SJ used him To dump Boedker contract.. Thats it

An example of a GM that thought a step ahead and maximized both deals he got into. I don't think we've seen Bergevin do anything other than one for one deals when it came to significant assets.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
My take on this :

The only area where Galchenyuk is really good is on the PP, other than that, he's a big MEH. Would've been fun if he could've shown he could hold his own at even strenght, but nope, he was atrocious, on Drouin's level. If Domi can be a better 2-way player the team is going to be better and that's what is important to me. I don't get the outrage.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
My take on this :

The only area where Galchenyuk is really good is on the PP, other than that, he's a big MEH. Would've been fun if he could've shown he could hold his own at even strenght, but nope, he was atrocious, on Drouin's level. If Domi can be a better 2-way player the team is going to be better and that's what is important to me. I don't get the outrage.

exactly !!

Fans will fall in love with Domi.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Ray Ferraro on the trade starting around 24:10:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/overdrive-june-18-2018-hour-3-1.1116487

"Montreal did him zero favors"

Just heard them say Toronto wants to show John Tavares how he can maximize his brand in TO, the city he grew up in. Question is why is it ok for Tavares to have a brand but when PK did it was bad and he's selfish? It's like people don't even know how modern day athletes and sports work and are still living in the 70s.

Reactions: HerculePoirot

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
exactly !!

Fans will fall in love with Domi.

Not the point, really.

I'm sure Domi is very likeable.

It's the fact of trading the more talented player.

It's the fact of trading a goal scorer which the Habs need for someone who principally sets up plays and produces assists -- which is not as crying a need.

It's the fact of a poorly timed trade, where the player's value wasn't maximized.

It's also the fact of Bergevin's contributory actions in devaluating the player.

And it's also the fact of the team once again trading a significant asset without getting a top 6 center in return. And worse, adding a player who is redundant.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
My take on this :

I too don't get the outrage. I get how people don't like the trade insofar as the Habs didn't get enough of a return for Galchenyuk and did not address a positional need, but there is a tendency on the part of some fans to try and frame every deal Bergevin does into a "future Hall of Famer for a used jock strap" story. The truth of the matter is that Bergevin has received good players in most of his trades. Weber, Drouin and Domi would have no trouble finding work on most NHL rosters. If you don't think Bergevin got sufficient in return that's another issue but it still doesn't merit the level of outrage because it's not like he gave Galchenyuk away for nothing. Anyone who thinks that is willfully disregarding all of AG's shortcomings in order to buttress their argument. He's plenty flawed and is probably not worth what some Habs fans think he's worth.

I'm not sad to see Galchenyuk go. I'm ticked that Domi is all we got for him. But even so I think Domi is a useful piece who will probably play very well for us.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Just heard them say Toronto wants to show John Tavares how he can maximize his brand in TO, the city he grew up in. Question is why is it ok for Tavares to have a brand but when PK did it was bad and he's selfish? It's like people don't even know how modern day athletes and sports work and are still living in the 70s.
I think the difference is that the Leafs are proactively wanting to work with the player to grow both their brands. MLSE's brand is a lot more high-profile than Geoff's little enterprise on Promenade des Canadiens. At the end of the day, Molson's brand is Molson, same as it ever was since 1786. Marketing Subban and his brand was never on their radar. And Subban did (and still does) most of his branding outside of his team. He never approached them with anything. He's always done his own thing. And Tavares can use the Leafs to a point but he'd also be better off pimping his own brand exclusive of any single team.

The elite athletes realized a long time ago that when it comes to their personal brands, they are a team of one. Michael Jordan did not need the Chicago Bulls to promote his brand. He was doing just fine on his own, thanks very much. It was the Bulls who rode his coattails, not the other way around. MLSE is showing some degree of savvy in trying to appeal to Tavares' vanity but in the end, if he's smart, he will realize that he has all the power here. The Leafs need him and his brand more than he needs the Leafs. The success of his brand is not dependent on which team he plays for. Neither is Subban's.

Reactions: Runner77

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I watched Domi a lot here in the desert. He's a very good player who was very snake bit this year.
He will surprise you Hab fans and you will have to turn your hate and derisive comments elsewhere.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Do you have any proof or are you once again are you making accusations without being able to back them up?

As i said ...don't believe me i don't care..but a lot of people inside the organization knows that story so well

I personally tried to purchase a subban sign jersey 2 years ago..and someone inside told me..forget it...he does not sign anything anymore for us...only his fondation

One of my great friend works there and he told me that story as well and many others....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I watched Domi a lot here in the desert. He's a very good player who was very snake bit this year.
He will surprise you Hab fans and you will have to turn your hate and derisive comments elsewhere.

Oh he'll surprise us but a hell of a lot less than Galchenyuk will surprise you, Zona fan.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
I have no doubt fans will love Domi, it still doesn't make it a good trade for a team starving for goals.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013

'Yotes fan coming in peace- agree with this 100%. He will be a lot better than how he performed in 2017-18.

However, I'm absolutely overjoyed with this trade! We badly needed a center- check, needed a goal scorer- check, didn't need a "veteran" in the twilight of his career- check.

I truly believe we made out like bandits, my only question is WHY this was a one-for-one trade??? WOW! I'm happy...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
We will see about that but my prediction is that Domi will love by the fans. His speed, his toughness, charisma his vision are great qualities to love in this market

Yeah, no.
He doesn't solve anything and if anything he make things more complicated than they were before. It's not Domi's fault mind you but like Shaw and Weber he will be a constant reminder of Bergevin's poor craftsmanship.

Reactions: Peanut

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Yeah, no.
He doesn't solve anything and if anything he make things more complicated than they were before. It's not Domi's fault mind you but like Shaw and Weber he will be a constant reminder of Bergevin's poor craftsmanship.

we will see comes playoffs (if we are making it in our lifetime..lol) Honestly, for me Galchenyuk have been a complete ghost in the playoffs so far and I think that Domi is the type of player who will shine under pressure.

worst case..we draft Tkachuk...i would hate that but one thing thought ...we will become a team more tough to play against with guys like Gallagher.., domi , and Tkachuk.....fatiguant....

also Drouin..no matter what you think of him is terrific under pressure...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
This was a stupid stupid trade. It's hard to find goal scorers in the NHL. They are at a premium and we gave up one of our goal scorers that could play center for ANOTHER playmaking winger? It's like Bergevin goes to LeChateau and falls in love with Purple pants and keeps buying the same pair over and over again, one for each day of the week. Is this guy shopping at Ikea or trying to build a stanley cup contender?

I'm sure Domi is a fine kid just like nobody would have had a problem with Drouin if they had kept Radulov and didn't have to give up Sergachev. I still can't believe Bergevin did Galchenyuk dirty and traded him to the worst team in the league. Even more than PK and Eller I really want to see AG succeed because unlike the other two I don't think we've seen him reach his potential yet.

Reactions: Runner77

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
'Yotes fan coming in peace- agree with this 100%. He will be a lot better than how he performed in 2017-18.

However, I'm absolutely overjoyed with this trade! We badly needed a center- check, needed a goal scorer- check, didn't need a "veteran" in the twilight of his career- check.

I truly believe we made out like bandits, my only question is WHY this was a one-for-one trade??? WOW! I'm happy...
Thanks for for the input, but not matter how good he becomes, unless he can out score Galchenyuk then we still lost that trade.

Galcehnyuk was traded 1-1 because every GM knew Bergevin wanted to get rid of him, did absolutely nothing to prop up his value and was getting painted into a corner by the fans and the media asking why he's not playing him at center. Even when we had injuries at center we moved up other guys and kept him on the 4th line, on the wing.

Bergevin said Galchenyuk will never be a center here and was running out of excuses to not play him there. It was becoming a sore point for him to have him around and hard to justify keeping Drouin at center despite clearly performing worse than Galcehnyuk at that position before getting shifted to the wing. So it was either trade him or have to explain why he held him back on the wing if he plays him at center and he performs like he did last year before injury.

So knowing all that why would any GM pay fair value to bail him out?

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
As i said ...don't believe me i don't care..but a lot of people inside the organization knows that story so well

I personally tried to purchase a subban sign jersey 2 years ago..and someone inside told me..forget it...he does not sign anything anymore for us...only his fondation

One of my great friend works there and he told me that story as well and many others....

So none as usual the same type of garbage as your drug post good on you though spreading crap without being able to back it up.

Reactions: Habs178

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

It's because we have a GM who's hellbent on destroying this franchise. I'll tell you the same thing I told a Washington fan, enjoy the gift!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad