Most underrated prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
There are a lot of underrated prospects out there (depending on your definition, I guess).

I'll throw Doug Lynch's name out there. He never gets mentioned, and he certainly won't be a superstar, but Oiler fans are really excited about him. He was an AHL all-star in his first pro season at 20 years old. Hopefully we'll see a lot more of him in the NHL next year.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Beakermania said:
Interestingly enough the two line pass rule we hear about as a candidate to be abolished all the time was put in to prevent gretzky and the oilers from making that long breakaway pass. Look it up!!!.

Where did you get that?

Beakermania said:
If anyone thinks Gretzky was top 5 in terms of speed on his own team, you are sadly mistaken.

No one is trying to say that Gretzky was a speedster, but he surely could not have had all of those breakaways without being a good skater. His speed has always been his most underrated aspect.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hossa said:
On the top goalies in the OHL issue...Paulo Colaiacovo is better than Ehelechner (at least he was this year, not as a prospect), and I really hope somebody signs that guy. He was at the Sens Rookie Camp a year or two ago, and he was absolutely oustanding. With Guard signed, he'd probably get burried in the ECHL, but I like this other Cola a lot.

What about Munce?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Legionnaire said:
No one is trying to say that Gretzky was a speedster, but he surely could not have had all of those breakaways without being a good skater. His speed has always been his most underrated aspect.

No one is saying Wayne was slow. Leafaholix said he was "pretty damn fast".

We were just pointing out that "all his breakaways" were more attributable to his timing and instincts.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
What about Munce?

Munce had an ok year. He really didn't do anything to seperate himself during the season, but then David Shantz didn't seperate himself until the playoffs. He's defenitely in the top 5 or 6 goalies in the OHL though.

Beakermania*

Legionnaire said:
Where did you get that?

I can't remember where i got it from just something stored in my
The two line pass rule was put in in the mid 80s, look it up for the exact rule.

It is sometimes referred to as the Gretzky rule.

It is similar to the rule put in in the 50s that a man serving a 2 minute penalty could leave after 1 goal was scored. This is known as the "Montreal Canadiens" rule because their pp with Doug Harvey, Rocket, Beliveau, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Henri Richard, Dickie Moore, you can go on... was too dangerous and could sometimes pop 2 or 3 on a two minute pp.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Beakermania said:
I can't remember where i got it from just something stored in my
The two line pass rule was put in in the mid 80s, look it up for the exact rule.

It is sometimes referred to as the Gretzky rule.

You're a couple generations off. The two line offside rule as we know it came in when the NHL put in the centre ice red line in 1943-44. It may have been even earlier in the 30's, when they were still working out where and when you could forward pass.

The only Gretzky/Oiler rule change was the 4 on 4 rule, where coincident penalties no longer removed a guy from each team.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
D:Anton Babchuk/Jan Platil/Garrett Stafford/

F:Rob Globke/Brooks Laich/Brad Boyes/Alesksander Suglobov/Petr Prucha/Jason Pominville

G:Stefan Liv/Illja Bryzgalov/Henrik Lundquivist/Cam Ward/Wade Dubiekwlz(?)

There are so many under-rated or forgotten prospects its unreal :teach:

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
If Zakharov develops like many on the Blues board believe he will, he has to be considered one of the top (not top ten, but maybe top 25) under rated players.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Sharks prospects are underrated because the Sharks have/are giving them time to develop rather than forcing them to play now like they used to do.

Josh Hennessy - According to Patrick Roy is very much like Sakic skill+leader. Almost everyone who I talk to says that he is one of the best in the Q some even say he is only behind Crosby. Keep an eye on Josh he will be a somebody.

Marcel Goc & Mike Morris not as underrated as Josh but still under rated.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
He played a decent number of NHL games this year, but in my mind it's Aaron Johnson. Every time I've seen him play (AHL and NHL), he's been money in the bank.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
MisterUnspoken said:
D:Anton Babchuk/Jan Platil/Garrett Stafford/

F:Rob Globke/Brooks Laich/Brad Boyes/Alesksander Suglobov/Petr Prucha/Jason Pominville

G:Stefan Liv/Illja Bryzgalov/Henrik Lundquivist/Cam Ward/Wade Dubiekwlz(?)

There are so many under-rated or forgotten prospects its unreal :teach:

I like your list MisterUnspoken.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Rickard Wallin, Patrick O'Sullivan, Josh Harding, Georgi Misharin, Jean-Michel Bolduc, Matt Foy...Any of these guys get really talked about? Especially O'Sullivan and Harding as potential franchise players?

Franchise player... :shakehead

Good players... GOOD players potetial... :dunno:

would it be more acurate?

BJ21

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I don't like to name own players in threads like these, but Jason Pominville is never talked about.

All I heard in the Calder Cup was Balej this and that, and how great Nashville's prospects looked. But Pominville was the leading scorer until Milwaukee eliminated them.

He's got a laser of a shot, and knows where to go everytime. He will be a lock for 20 goals in a year or two regardless of if he bulks up or not, and he's very committed to that.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Corey Perry is underrated by many. The majority say his lack of strength will end in him being an average NHLer at best. Some have even gone as far as saying if he plays a single NHL game, they'll be surprised. He really seems determines to build his strength, and bulk up, so he can make the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NHL in 05/06, if not 04/05(I doubt it, but it's possible).

thestonedkoala

BlackJack21 said:
Franchise player... :shakehead

Good players... GOOD players potetial... :dunno:

would it be more acurate?

BJ21

I think they are great players that get overlooked. Maybe not franchise but close too it. Harding gets vastly overlooked (even after a semi-rough year after a trade) as a potentially superstar goaltender and people will always claim that it's the Wild that make the goalie not the other way around ala Roloson. Harding is as good as Ward, LeVeneau, better than Deslaurier (probably), but will need to be challenged at the next level but I'll say he'll hold up well.

O'Sullivan also gets overlooked because of issues that are way, way, way dead by now. He's also grown I believe an inch or two and has worked on his defensive part of the game. He'll put up really, really good numbers if he is moved out on wing. He is also a good playmaker, so it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts.

Both of them are probably the best players the Wild have and have to be top 50 if not top 30 players...

leafaholix*

thestonedkoala said:
I think they are great players that get overlooked. Maybe not franchise but close too it. Harding gets vastly overlooked (even after a semi-rough year after a trade) as a potentially superstar goaltender and people will always claim that it's the Wild that make the goalie not the other way around ala Roloson. Harding is as good as Ward, LeVeneau, better than Deslaurier (probably), but will need to be challenged at the next level but I'll say he'll hold up well.

O'Sullivan also gets overlooked because of issues that are way, way, way dead by now. He's also grown I believe an inch or two and has worked on his defensive part of the game. He'll put up really, really good numbers if he is moved out on wing. He is also a good playmaker, so it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts.

Both of them are probably the best players the Wild have and have to be top 50 if not top 30 players...
If he's "as good as" Cam Ward, David LeNeveau, JD Deslauriers, than he's not a potential franchise or superstar goaltender. The players you have named are above average prospects... they are not potential superstars. Guys like Fleury and Lehtonen have superstar potential. Of the 4 listed above, I'd be shocked if 2 made it to become above average #1 goalies in the NHL.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
bossy22 said:
Zakharov better hope he gets traded to the Habs so he can continue to play with Kastsitsyn. IMO Kats is considerably more talented and has the brighter future. Zakharov has been playing with Kats for years during international tourneys and sometime gets more ice time. Since his Dad is the Belarus' head coach I'd say he's made sure to lineup his son with Kats.

And this is why Zakharov, after having ripped up the Q, will be playing in the AHL next year, one step from the NHL, and Andy "AK-47" Kostitsyn is struggling to find his game. I didn't see Kostitsyn assisting on any of the goals Zakharov has scored in North America. As the topic states, underrated, hardcore!

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
IMO, Gretzky was a very average skater. Like he said, he based his game on anticipating where the puck would go, and his instincts always allowed him to be in the right place at the right time. His top end speed wasn't bad, but watch tapes of him closely, and you'll notice how bad his acceleration was. He also looked incredibly akward sometimes when he was trying to get going, like a really old stickshift corolla or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad