Most Popular NHL teams per Country

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
In the french part of Switzerland, almost everybody is rooting for the Habs (something like 20 people in my family) because I guess they feel like they're a small part of the country that speaks french just like in Montreal. Otherwise in the german-speaking part, I'm not even sure they know NHL exists maybe they do in Zurich.. Medias tend to focus on the NLA and don't pay attention to what's happening elsewhere.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
In Poland NHL in itself isn't really popular even among hockey fans, so there hardly is such a thing. Although Mariusz Czerkawski is a national celebrity and many people know Wojtek Wolski, no one could name any of their NHL teams.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
In the french part of Switzerland, almost everybody is rooting for the Habs (something like 20 people in my family) because I guess they feel like they're a small part of the country that speaks french just like in Montreal. Otherwise in the german-speaking part, I'm not even sure they know NHL exists maybe they do in Zurich.. Medias tend to focus on the NLA and don't pay attention to what's happening elsewhere.

I would be thinking the Habs would be popular in the german part too, if only because they gave Mark Streit his shot at the bigs.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich

That's so ridiculously misinformed I don't even know why I'm responding to this.

NHL hockey is pretty big in both Zurich and Graubünden, the two cantons I actually can judge.

The general trend is always that people follow the players more than the teams themselves. I know a lot of dedicated NHL fans in both cantons though.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
I cheer on my national team, but that's it. When they put on the swedish jersey, they represent me, but otherwise, I don't care where they're from. If you're cheering on a team because they have a player from your country, then you're not a real fan.
If you end up sticking with the team, then it's different.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
I cheer on my national team, but that's it. When they put on the swedish jersey, they represent me, but otherwise, I don't care where they're from. If you're cheering on a team because they have a player from your country, then you're not a real fan.
If you end up sticking with the team, then it's different.

Why wouldn´t I be a real fan? I am a fan of Chicago Blackhawks and Slovan Bratislava, just as I am a fan of Slovak national team. I cheer for every Slovak player on any team, if he isn´t playing against one of my teams.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I enjoy it when the swedish players in other teams (I've been cheering for the rangers since my parents got me a rangers poster when I was like 6) play good because it means hopefully they'll be good later in the national team. Couldn't give less of a crap if Detroit or Vancouver wins the cup.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I cheer for the Habs because I really like Quebec and the French language, plus the team has a rich history.

I also cheer for the Flyers because that was the first NHL-team I saw live and my favourite Swedish goalie of all time, Pelle Lindbergh, played for the Flyers.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I saw a Kings jersey, Bruins jersey, and the Leafs jersey in Tokyo before.

There was a famous drama in Japan years ago that was about ice hockey, and the main character got drafted by the Canucks.

And thats about it lol. In Japan, its baseball and soccer. Some older ages like to watch sumo and golf. Japan sucks at basketball but is popular in juniors, which is very weird IMO.

I can't see any Japanese (or asians) coming to NHL any time soon. There was a news that somebody from Japan got drafted in the KHL, so there are the minorities in northern regions that are still playing.

Yutaka Fukufuji is still playing in Tokyo I believe. Was in a CM few years ago.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Agree, I think that most people from Czech Republic tend to be a fan of a team where some Czech player/s play.
It is a bit bitter for me as a Leafs fan but at least I can choose a team I'll be cheering for in the Playoffs since early 2000's. :D :baghead:
This year its of course Flyers but I think I would be cheering for them anyway cause I really like those players there.

MTL has 2 Czechs

Jiri Sekac
Tomas Plekanec

welshrangersfan

Mar 30, 2011

I was sat in Zurich train station about a month ago and was surprised at the amount of hockey gear I saw people wearing. Saw multiple New York Rangers hats/t shirts, multiple Blackhawks hats, and even a guy in an Oilers hoodie.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
I was sat in Zurich train station about a month ago and was surprised at the amount of hockey gear I saw people wearing. Saw multiple New York Rangers hats/t shirts, multiple Blackhawks hats, and even a guy in an Oilers hoodie.

Ya, in Geneva it isn't rare to see people wearing NHL stuff. Yesterday there was a dude wearing a Gaborik jersey on the bus. What kind of person wears a jersey on the streets :laugh:

Hammer15

Dec 30, 2014
Herlev, Denmark
In Denmark i think it's Islanders. Frans Nielsen became the first Danish NHL-player some years ago, and got a lot of media-attention. Many Danish hockey fans didnt follow the NHL untill Nielsen became a key player for the Islanders, and then they started to follow that team.

Pittsburg, Detroit and Rangers are very popular aswell.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
There definitely isn't a big hockey community in Greece, mostly Canadians who moved back to Greece. The people who are fans, or know something about the game, all seem to worship Chris Chelios as some kind of Greek hockey God. So most of the fans root for either Montreal, Detroit, Chicago because of Chelios. Those cities have a big Greek Canadian/American presence, so that is a factor. Ive even seen Maple Leafs paraphernalia in a photo printing shop in Karpathos, Greece.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Penguins in Poland.. bleh

Blackhawks optionally

Agree with mostly Penguin fans in Poland, not sure why. Krzysztof Oliwa had a short stint in Pittsburgh, but I don't think that's really why.

I would also add Islanders (Czerkawski), Devils, Hawks, and Leafs. Common denominator being a large Polish community in each of those cities.

jka*

Penguins and Caps for Russia. But soon history in Caps theres "Ovie" playing. And he go to KHL before next Olympics. Dynamo Moscow are right destany.

:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad