Most Popular NHL teams per Country

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What do you think the most popular NHL teams by country are

In Sweden I would say- Probably Detroit, but Vancouver and Ottawa might be getting bigger followings

Russia- Washington maybe :dunno:

Finland- Probably Anaheim, but there might be some fans of Edmonton because of Kurri and Tikkanen

Czech Republic- Not so sure about them

Slovakia- Maybe St. Louis because of the Slovak Pak, or Chicago because of Mikita

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Philadelphia easily as long as Jagr plays there. I'm not sure which club it would be if he left the league. If I had to guess, I'd say Montreal, but that's pure speculation.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The one with a Latvian on a roster. Most non-homers follow some historic Eastern conference side or Detroit. Odd Avalanche fan here and there and that's it.

DrunkElkCZ

Apr 16, 2012
Brno, Czech Rep.
Philadelphia easily as long as Jagr plays there. I'm not sure which club it would be if he left the league. If I had to guess, I'd say Montreal, but that's pure speculation.

Agree, I think that most people from Czech Republic tend to be a fan of a team where some Czech player/s play.
It is a bit bitter for me as a Leafs fan but at least I can choose a team I'll be cheering for in the Playoffs since early 2000's. :D :baghead:
This year its of course Flyers but I think I would be cheering for them anyway cause I really like those players there.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
In Sweden I would say- Probably Detroit, but Vancouver and Ottawa might be getting bigger followings

The Rangers are arguably as popular in Sweden as Detroit. Henrik Lundqvist is a major celebrity and Swedes tend to have a massive hard-on for anything related to NYC.

The Leafs would be right behind the Red Wings and Rangers in popularity. Salming, Sundin and the Leafs status as an Original Six franchise have helped solidify their popularity.

I have never felt that the Senators were particularly popular. Most Swedes are unfamiliar with Ottawa as a city and Daniel Alfredsson has always been the least famous, least popular and least appreciated player from our "Golden Generation". He has always been in the shadows of Forsberg, Sundin and in later years Lidström.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Now that Mikael Granlund is about to join Mikko Koivu and Niklas Bäckström in Minnesota, the Wild will probably become the new "favorite" team for most Finns.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Agree, I think that most people from Czech Republic tend to be a fan of a team where some Czech player/s play.
It is a bit bitter for me as a Leafs fan but at least I can choose a team I'll be cheering for in the Playoffs since early 2000's. :D :baghead:
This year its of course Flyers but I think I would be cheering for them anyway cause I really like those players there.

welcome to the boards! :yo:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The Rangers are arguably as popular in Sweden as Detroit. Henrik Lundqvist is a major celebrity and Swedes tend to have a massive hard-on for anything related to NYC.

The Leafs would be right behind the Red Wings and Rangers in popularity. Salming, Sundin and the Leafs status as an Original Six franchise have helped solidify their popularity.

I have never felt that the Senators were particularly popular. Most Swedes are unfamiliar with Ottawa as a city and Daniel Alfredsson has always been the least famous, least popular and least appreciated player from our "Golden Generation". He has always been in the shadows of Forsberg, Sundin and in later years Lidström.

I was thinking there might be a lot of younger fans because of Karlsson, Lehner, Silfverberg, and Zibanejad

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I was thinking there might be a lot of younger fans because of Karlsson, Lehner, Silfverberg, and Zibanejad

Only one of those has actually made the team yet though, and as great as Karlsson has been this season, he's hardly a well-known name in Sweden. If all of those prospects pan out and Ottawa becomes something of a "Detroit Light", I could see them becoming one of the more popular NHL teams in Sweden but I still think the fact that the Sens come from a city most Swedes know absolutely nothing about will hold them back.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
In Norway it's definitely the Rangers, because of Zuccarello.

In the UK it's either the Rangers, Red Wings, or Penguins. All the bandwagoners were Red Wings fans from 2002-2009, the amount of kids I saw at hockey wearing Red Wings jerseys was unreal. More recently it's now the same for the Penguins. All the 'real' fans pick their own team but for some reason lots of people seem drawn to the Rangers, I can't explain why I was. There seem to be more Flyers fans than any others too but they aren't as many as Rangers, Pens or Red Wings

Last edited:

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
yeah, I agree ... most popular teams are teams with good czech players ...

as north americans you won't understand this, but many czechs don't wish success to czech players in stanley cup cause there is chance they will come to play for national team during IIHF WCH - I'd say average pub czech fan (guys on the picture) behave like this

564178-img-sport-hokej-reprezentace-mistrovstvi-sveta-cesko-fanousci.jpg

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Ottawa is probably more popular than the average NHL team already, and could possible be one of the most popular. Depends on how good they get.

Popularity factors (SWEDEN):

1. Lots of Swedes/or at least one famous one.
2. Classic hockey name. Let's face it, a team like The leafs might be pretty sub-par (by NHL standards), but it's still a classic name, and a well known city.
3. Success. Obviously success always generates new fans, from whereever they might be.
4. Foreign superstar. To some extent the REALLY big Canadan/Russian/whatever stars is also attractive to Swedish hockey fans. I think the Pens is pretty popular in Sweden as an example.

Last edited:

urbanshocker

Feb 7, 2012
Cowtown
In Brazil, It's Robyn Regehr.

Last year he to Mardi Gras and told Pele to get the F out. It's Robyn's country now.

The crowd went wild for their favorite native son of hockey, and pelted Pele with roving monkeys until the former soccer player was banished to Edmonton.

It was riveting.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Minnesota is quite popular and will be even more so from next season onwards.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Minnesota and Anaheim gets the most media attention here in Finland.

If you measure popularity with which team gets the most posts in season topics in here the order would be:

1. Red Wings
2. Penguins
3. Wild
4. Flyers
5. Ducks
6. Blackhawks
7. Flames
8. Leafs
9. Sharks
10. Oilers
11. Rangers
12. Canadiens
13. Canucks
14. Stars
15. Avalanche
16. Bruins
17. Hurricanes
18. Capitals
19. Coyotes
20. Kings
21. Lightning
22. Sabres
23. Devils
24. Jets
25. Islanders
26. Predators
27. Panthers
28. Blues
29. Senators
30. Blue Jackets

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Only one of those has actually made the team yet though, and as great as Karlsson has been this season, he's hardly a well-known name in Sweden. If all of those prospects pan out and Ottawa becomes something of a "Detroit Light", I could see them becoming one of the more popular NHL teams in Sweden but I still think the fact that the Sens come from a city most Swedes know absolutely nothing about will hold them back.

How is it possible that Swedes don't Know anything about Ottawa??? After all Ottawa is Canada's capital you're suppose to learn that in school.

Sweden is smaller than Canada and the fast majority of Canadians know that Stockholm is the capital of Sweden.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
How is it possible that Swedes don't Know anything about Ottawa??? After all Ottawa is Canada's capital you're suppose to learn that in school.

Sweden is smaller than Canada and the fast majority of Canadians know that Stockholm is the capital of Sweden.

:laugh: I can guarantee that most Swedes know that Ottawa is capital of Canada yet that still doesn't mean they know "anything" about Ottawa.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon

When will Sweden respect Ottawa?

And also, what Ozo said.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

Difference is canada often gets overshadowed by america while sweden always have been the center of it's side of the planet.

I think you also have to add anaheim here due to the movies, if asked to name an nhl team the swedes with hockey knowledge are gonna mention detroit even tho they know about the ducks, but those who dont know anything about hockey are gonna say the mighty ducks right away.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
That's like discussing which is the most popular Nazi; I don't recall seeing support for any!

That's probably because you are an armchair NHL fan and do not follow the British game at all. If you actually went to a game you would see those teams I mentioned always have the most worn jerseys by the fans, and are always the most common for kids on the ice at practice.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Pretty much like this. I feel rather exclusive as a Vancouver fan, not many cheer for them despite many Swedish players through the system. I guess being in Pacific time has a small impact on the popularity too.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Finland

The original six teams are all quite popular in Finland. Especially Canadiens because of Saku Koivu and Red Wings because their overall success over the years. The other established succesfull teams like Flyers and Penguins are also popular. Anaheim is popular because of Teemu. Wild's fanbase is also growing.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
I've been on lots of NHL-related Swedish message boards. Teams I've never heard/read that a Swede cheers for:

- Atlanta/Winnipeg
- Buffalo
- Carolina
- Columbus
- Minnesota
- Nashville
- Phoenix

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
^ If there are, they're probably mostly fans of SEL/Allsvenskan teams following their players. OEL for Phoenix, Enstrom with Winnipeg and so on.

(which is fine)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad