Most Popular NHL teams per Country

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I bet the habs are the most popular NHL team world-wide, but as for them appealing to a specific country I don't know. I just figure their logo is the most well-known.

Habs are defenitely one of the least popular/known teams in Sweden.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Of the NHL fans I know here in Germany the favs are Colorado Avalanche, Toronto Maple Leafs, San Jose Sharks, Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks. Usually teams with Gemans on their roster and the traditional super powers get most media attention. :handclap:
Must have been fun when Seidenburg became only the 2nd German to have won a cup:)

Patchy

Jan 6, 2011
Detroit, Rangers and Vancouver for Sweden. In that order.

But that's just my hunch.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
Of the NHL fans I know here in Germany the favs are Colorado Avalanche, Toronto Maple Leafs, San Jose Sharks, Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks. Usually teams with Gemans on their roster and the traditional super powers get most media attention. :handclap:

I also live in Germany and the few hockey fans I've met have been Sabres fans. One was a Caps fan due to Koelzig.

Pia782

Aug 2, 2013
Based on my friends the most popular team in Slovakia is either Chicago (Hossa, Handzus) or Rangers (Gabby in the past). I don't actually know anyone who likes another team, but it is probably a result of me not knowing so much "true" hockey fans :dunno: (most of my friends only watch World Championships) Oh and as for me, I am a proud Penguin :)

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Pittsburgh is the most popular team in Russia even with good old Red Wings memories and recent Washington hype.
Philadelphia is also widely loved (as much as it's possible in Russia of course).

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
In the area I grew up Pittsburgh had the most fans by a wide margin. But that was just the guys I was hanging out with and 20 years ago already.

Mynameismark*

No, outside of Canada the Habs aren't popular at all. The logo definitely isn't more well known.

Are you nuts? Most storied franchise, and easily more well known then all the rest if not top 3.

My travels alone have documented such facts.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Are you nuts? Most storied franchise, and easily more well known then all the rest if not top 3.

My travels alone have documented such facts.

Tell us about your travels. Considering a country such as Sweden which appriciates hockey, Montreal is one of the least known teams, I would find it odd that other countries would have it well known.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Pittsburgh is the most popular team in Russia even with good old Red Wings memories and recent Washington hype.
Philadelphia is also widely loved (as much as it's possible in Russia of course).
All three teams are pretty close, it's really hard to say. But the Wings sure have more older fans.

The number of the Flyers fans on the Runet is quite bizarre indeed, I just don't get it.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
...Canada gets zip, zero, nada, 0 spotlight time in Sweden - if it's ever mentioned its something about Toronto because of Sundin/Salming. Has Ottawa been mentioned at all during the last 500 years?

LOL. I don't mean to be rude and I like Sweden a lot but it would seem that you'd be in for a real shock when I tell you that it would almost identical here in Canada. Sweden gets absolutely ZERO coverage of anything whatsoever in this country. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything remotely close the word Sweden mentioned or published in any media-outlet here. You're a tiny country which sadly bears no news-relevance here in Canada.

Ilves Tampere

Jul 28, 2007
Tallinn, Estonia
While working at South America for 14 years:

Most popular teams:
1--> Red Wings/Habs/Rangers
2--> Pens/ Avalanche / Stars
3--> Ducks (talk to them, clearly we can see they like the team because the old logo / the disney movie, don't have any knowledge...

Surprisingly the Stars and Wings fans new a lot about the sport, their traditions and past players. One started to talk about Slava Kozlov and didn't stopped till I walked away.

ToewsGretzky*

Mar 10, 2014
Algonquin Park
I think you could add Canada in this discussion, sure we have our own NHL teams but for the areas without, there are many Penguins fans in Nova Scotia for example because of Crosby, loads of Bruins fans in the Maritimes too along with Leafs and Habs fans. Other than that the most popular NHL teams in Canada apart from our own would be the rest of the American original 6 teams.

Last edited:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
St.louis getting alot of love in swedish media atm. No suprise, after all they do have the new sundin:sarcasm:

Plus, swedish colors!

pretty pretty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad