Most overrated player in the NHL right now

Who is currently the most overrated player in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews leading this poll is pretty hilarious. No one in their right mind would tell you he's on the same level as Mackinnon or McDavid; most people would say he's in the tier right below that. Fringe top 5 centre in the league, who has a good chance to be top 3 within the next couple years. Sure, he receives a disproportionate amount of media attention/exposure because he's in Toronto, but he's pretty much the most appropriately rated player in the league.

Disagree completely with the bolded. Prior to this season, I'd had quite a few discussions with certain Leaf fans claiming that Matthews is better than MacKinnon, citing their ES production and their development curves.

That seems to have quieted down after MacKinnon's Hart-caliber season, but I can tell you firsthand from long discussions with them about it that quite a few Leaf fans argued that Matthews was better prior to this past season.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Disagree completely with the bolded. Prior to this season, I'd had quite a few discussions with certain Leaf fans claiming that Matthews is better than MacKinnon, citing their ES production and their development curves.

That seems to have quieted down after MacKinnon's Hart-caliber season, but I can tell you firsthand from long discussions with them about it that quite a few Leaf fans argued that Matthews was better prior to this past season.

Fair, but I'm not talking about last season. Mackinnon has clearly separated himself from everyone in the league besides McDavid; after that, I'd still have Crosby 3rd, and then there's a pool of half a dozen (ish) players who are in a similar tier. Matthews is firmly in that 4-10 group, and I don't think many people would tell you he's any higher or lower than that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fair, but I'm not talking about last season. Mackinnon has clearly separated himself from everyone in the league besides McDavid; after that, I'd still have Crosby 3rd, and then there's a pool of half a dozen (ish) players who are in a similar tier. Matthews is firmly in that 4-10 group, and I don't think many people would tell you he's any higher or lower than that.

OT slightly, but I'm not sure Crosby's still 3rd. If he can return to his 2018-19 form, then for sure. But that sports hernia surgery seemed to sap some of his explosiveness/power and at his age I'm not sure how much of last season's regular season performance is going to be his norm going forward.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
OT slightly, but I'm not sure Crosby's still 3rd. If he can return to his 2018-19 form, then for sure. But that sports hernia surgery seemed to sap some of his explosiveness/power and at his age I'm not sure how much of last season's regular season performance is going to be his norm going forward.

Considering he's one of two generational talents in the league right now, I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Somehow Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns, the two worst DEFENSEmen in the league and Sergei Bobrovsky who somehow gives up goals being shot on him from China barely even get a look and Auston gets 21% of the votes, this is amazing :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I needed this laugh from you HF Leaf vampires :laugh:

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
I wouldn't say Matthews is currently overrated, but in 2018-19 he certainly was. Lots of unironic comparisons made by the TO media and fans to him and McDavid wondering who was better.

For instance from oct 2018:

Is Auston Matthews better than Connor McDavid? ... and the mailbag

The poll at the bottom of said story (probably mostly filled out by Torontonians) has Matthews as the best player in the world over McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Mackinnon, and Karlsson.

He was very much overrated back then.

Just google McDavid vs Matthews and you will find lots of similar stories and videos.

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I wouldn't say Matthews is currently overrated, but in 2018-19 he certainly was. Lots of unironic comparisons made by the TO media and fans to him and McDavid wondering who was better.

The poll at the bottom of said story (probably mostly filled out by Torontonians) has Matthews as the best player in the world over McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Mackinnon, and Karlsson.

Just google McDavid vs Matthews and you will find lots of similar stories and videos.
Damn theres a poll that asks who is the best player in the league and 1,520 votes (50% of the total votes) picked Matthews as the #1 player in the NHL.

Yet in here we have leaf fans arguing on the semantics of the wording "few" and claiming its 3 percent.

Quite apparently its thousands of people.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Somehow Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns, the two worst DEFENSEmen in the league and Sergei Bobrovsky who somehow gives up goals being shot on him from China barely even get a look and Auston gets 21% of the votes, this is amazing :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I needed this laugh from you HF Leaf vampires :laugh:

Those players would need to be rated at a level above their performance for them to be overrated. Who is doing that now? Overrated doesn't mean a player is bad and not being overrated doesn't mean a player is good.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The Laines better was from some Finnish fans and sure maybe a very few overzealous jet fans. The difference is those fans, especially the jets ones are fine to admit Matthews is better when he clearly is, while the select group of leaf fans continue with excuses, and finding very specific advance stats that are “the only ones with context” to prove their point.

Get over yourself. There were tons of Anti-Maple Leaf fans parroting the narrative. You pretending it was 'some' Finnish fans and 'a very few' Jets fans is pure and pure bullpoop.

You don't get to just make things up.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
What I quoted is that you said "bud people voted for the logo on the front, not the actual player. Do you understand that?"

I said in the beginning of the post of mine you quoted "I'm sure some people hate Toronto so much they do that but not nearly as much as made out to be."

Every team is hated by someone some teams are hated more then others but when there is so many posts over time from Maple Leafs fans claiming the reason for poll results (that they don't like) or what someone says (that they don't like) is because they hate Maple Leafs that is a victim mentality. Maple Leafs aren't hated as much as you and others making the claim think they are.

You are wrong. btw - how would you know one way or the other?

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
HF hates Matthews with a passion. Its quite humorous.

I find it odd... Matthews can win this poll over Marner and Nylander, yet if I were a Leafs fan, I wouldn’t trade Matthews for Marner and Nylander combined and feel they’re both very overrated. Nylander less so because of the down year he had after holding out, and he bounced back nicely, but on the whole I think they’re both very overrated and Matthews is the only young Leaf that is a genuine franchise building block and worthy of his hype.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
:facepalm: really bro ? 12 votes vs 417 votes. 2.8%, that is several to you ? Cannot be bothered with this lmao.
I have no dog in this fight. With that being said, the definition of several is "more than two but not many.", so to answer your question, yes 12 is several.

Reactions: Garthinater

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If 30 of 31 fanbases think Austin Matthews is overrated, how can he be overrated? That logic never really took hold with me. Blah Blah Blah National media will be the response.
Don't worry, its just the offseason. These fools just have short term memories. Hockey would have to be played all year round to get them to shut their mouths permanently.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Get over yourself. There were tons of Anti-Maple Leaf fans parroting the narrative. You pretending it was 'some' Finnish fans and 'a very few' Jets fans is pure and pure bullpoop.

You don't get to just make things up.
Then let’s see some of these “tons” of anti leaf fans making these claims.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure some people hate Toronto so much they do that but not nearly as much as made out to be. It gets tiring seeing Maple Leafs fans have a victim mentality when someone says something about their team they don't like.

Matthews is a great young player but not as great as made out to be. Overrated doesn't mean he isn't a great player it means people are making him out to be better then he is. Matthews is overrated.
This is a perfect explanation for Matthews' level of play and the Leafs fandom.

He's amazing, but Leaf fans wear Matthews' coloured glasses whenever they talk about him. Reeeeelax

There are levels to this shit

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Seth Jones.

Fans and media make him out to be a franchise cornerstone akin to someone like Hedman.

He's not close to Hedman.
Name one person who has made this comparison LOL.

Seth Jones just had his coming out party. No one compared him to any defenseman in the league. Talked about as a pairing? Yeah they're probably the best pair in the league, but not individually.

Seth Jones doesn't belong in this list and is rated properly.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
The answer is by far Mitch Marner.

Demands he get paid the likes of Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid

Plays like Stamkos in the playoffs

L O L

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Voted Bobrovski..

Karlsson is definitely up there though. Never was a good let alone great defensive player and hailed as the best Dman in the league for several years based solely on points production and some flashy plays.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Nobody on the planet has said Matthews was or would be better than McDavid. If they did and you took them seriously that's on you.
There you go. You could also look out on the annual Matthews vs McDavid thread. Best one was probably the one in 2017 after Matthews rookie season you're in a treat for a 214 pages thread though :laugh: I won't debate which one I take them seriously or not if they actually are they're still people that believed that. That's when the overrating started IMO.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
There you go. You could also look out on the annual Matthews vs McDavid thread. Best one was probably the one in 2017 after Matthews rookie season you're in a treat for a 214 pages thread though :laugh: I won't debate which one I take them seriously or not if they actually are they're still people that believed that. That's when the overrating started IMO.
It just makes no sense to search the internet for the few random homers who thought Matthews was better than McDavid and then use this as the default thought for the hockey community so you can say Matthews is overrated.

The majority of hockey fans rate him exactly as he should be rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad