Most overrated player in the NHL right now

Who is currently the most overrated player in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
People voting Matthews are kind of giving Leafs fans validation when they complain about how fans hate on them for no reason. Outside of Leafs fans the guy is either rated fairly or underrated. He's a stud.

For no reason? How do you justify its for no reason? That defeats the purpose of your point because how would a player become overrated if it was for no reason? A player becomes both overrated and underrated for REASONS....and I didn’t even vote Matthews.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
For me it's definitely Taylor Hall.

Sure he had one MVP season when we literally rode him and Kinkaid to a playoff appearance. Overall, watching his game he's skilled but he always leaves you wanting more.

He's one of those players where you look at the stat sheet after a game and think, how did he only have 1 assist? He should have had 3 goals that game. And that happens a lot.

He's skilled but overrated IMO.

will take that kind of player at this point for eich.

almost every player that’s won the hart trophy has been an amazing player. Only one in recent memory I can think of who’s play dropped off is Perry but even he can find ways to be useful .....I’m not doubting at all what you say though from what I’ve seen I’ve followed him when in Edmonton mostly

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Sure he had one MVP season when we literally rode him and Kinkaid to a playoff appearance. Overall, watching his game he's skilled but he always leaves you wanting more.

He's one of those players where you look at the stat sheet after a game and think, how did he only have 1 assist? He should have had 3 goals that game. And that happens a lot.

Hall's always struck me as a guy with all the tools, but a limited hockey IQ to fully make use of them. I think that's what leads to him "looking good" but not really capitalizing on a lot of his chances.

Reactions: blink

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Accurate

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
will take that kind of player at this point for eich.

almost every player that’s won the hart trophy has been an amazing player. Only one in recent memory I can think of who’s play dropped off is Perry but even he can find ways to be useful .....I’m not doubting at all what you say though from what I’ve seen I’ve followed him when in Edmonton mostly

Hall will get his points in Buffalo. He's put up points everywhere he goes. Good 1 year signing for Sabres with potential for a longer term deal if it works out. He just somehow manages to bungle the easiest of scoring chances and you are sitting there wondering how a player of his skill misses those. Of course, he never had Eichel to play with in Jersey so that should help his numbers too.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Leafs fans "Matthews is a top 5 forward"
Also Leafs fans "Matthews isn't overrated"

Should we bring up the Matthews vs McDavid thread again?

matthews was the first overall pick to the worst franchise you can be a first overall pick to and he has met the expectations he was supposed to meet.

By any rational fan that is.

If Matthews played for any other team and had these sort of point totals he would still be talked about. The fact that he’s done it whilst being in the hockey market with the most pressure says everything that needs to be said.

The him vs mcdavid thing is silly. They’re both superstars and have their own way of being it. It’s like Crosby vs ovechkin, however to this point neither has the upper hand because neither have won a Stanley cup.

Reactions: Rob Brown and JoeMc

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The him vs mcdavid thing is silly. They’re both superstars and have their own way of being it. It’s like Crosby vs ovechkin, however to this point neither has the upper hand because neither have won a Stanley cup.

That's a questionable analogy. I'm assuming that Matthews is the Ovechkin in this comparison, but the flaw is Ovechkin had a very strong argument for being on par or better than Crosby, at least for that 3 or 4 season stretch from 2007 to 2010. So unless you're saying Matthews has an argument for being better than McDavid, that's a weird comparison to make.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

No its not likw Crosby vs Ovy , its also reason why he is leading this pool. We are talking here about player who reacheed TOP 10 in scoring for first time in his career (30+ points behind Art Ross trophy)

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
This. He’s legit elite. And no one compares him to McDavid, that happened like 4 years ago. :laugh:

Being over rated does not mean he isn't good.

Also, from the post directly above yours:

"The him vs mcdavid thing is silly. They’re both superstars and have their own way of being it. It’s like Crosby vs ovechkin, however to this point neither has the upper hand because neither have won a Stanley cup."

Sounds like some leaf fans still think they are very close, this poster even thinks that neither mcdavid nor matthews has the upper hand rofl

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Lmao this place never ceases to amaze me. Never change HF, the bar is low and somehow you always manage to fall under it.

The fact that Nylander has 16 votes also illustrates that this place has no idea what 'overrated' even means. Nylander gets shit on constantly by media and fans, has a reasonable contract and just had a career season where he was pacing for almost 40 goals over 82 games.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
The answer is Heiskanen but he's not on the list. There was a thread in recent history trying to compare him to Lidstrom. A seven time Norris winner LOL

Reactions: Signupnow

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Lmao this place never ceases to amaze me. Never change HF, the bar is low and somehow you always manage to fall under it.

The fact that Nylander has 16 votes also illustrates that this place has no idea what 'overrated' even means. Nylander gets shit on constantly by media and fans, has a reasonable contract and just had a career season where he was pacing for almost 40 goals over 82 games.
Plus he’s a top 30 player and a 1C.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

"The him vs mcdavid thing is silly. They’re both superstars and have their own way of being it. It’s like Crosby vs ovechkin, however to this point neither has the upper hand because neither have won a Stanley cup."

Sounds like some leaf fans still think they are very close, this poster even thinks that neither mcdavid nor matthews has the upper hand rofl

I don't know what people fail to grasp about the idiocy of basing your perception of reality on one extreme dissenting opinion. Matthews/McDavid was talked about and dismissed 4 years ago, the end. Insecure Oiler fans are the only ones reminding us of it with "generational" comments in every Matthews thread. It's not a conversation, no serious discussions are had about this, move on. You found one guy who thinks it's closer than it is...who gives a shit? That isn't the smoking gun you think it is.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
No its not likw Crosby vs Ovy , its also reason why he is leading this pool. We are talking here about player who reacheed TOP 10 in scoring for first time in his career (30+ points behind Art Ross trophy)

As far as I can tell one guy thinks that, it's amazing the bending over backwards the clowns here are doing to use that as evidence. McDavid/Matthews is not a narrative, I haven't heard of it in years until this poll. You can't take one extreme dissenting opinion and paint a fanbase with it, and I shouldn't need to explain how stupid that is.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This thread is strange. HF claims he's over rated. In a poll done, it was a landslide saying Matthews is an elite 1C and not generational. Which is what almost everyone on these boards has him as, apart from a handful of homers. Still don't understand how he's over-rated. Almost 99% of people here were in agreement that he is an elite 1C.

So the question is, is Matthews not an elite 1C ? How is he over-rated ? We have him as a top 10C, likely 6th best C in the league. Explain someone ?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Cry me a river. One poster hints at Matthews equaling Mcdavid and you prop up that post like it’s the theme of the thread. That comparison happened in Matthews rookie season 2016x

How about you start scrolling up a little bit and take a look at the 164 group of joke voters that think that a 23 year old franchise centre who is second in goal scoring since entering the league is the most overrated player in the league. Those are the jokes you should be rolling on the floor laughing about.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This thread is strange. HF claims he's over rated. In a poll done, it was a landslide saying Matthews is an elite 1C and not generational. Which is what almost everyone on these boards has him as, apart from a handful of homers. Still don't understand how he's over-rated. Almost 99% of people here were in agreement that he is an elite 1C.

So the question is, is Matthews not an elite 1C ? How is he over-rated ? We have him as a top 10C, likely 6th best C in the league. Explain someone ?

The thread isn't designed to provide a logical explanation to that.

It's designed for the cult following of ex girlfriend-like Leafs haters to continue bitching about the Leafs players.

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The thread isn't designed to provide a logical explanation to that.

It's designed for the cult following of ex girlfriend-like Leafs haters to continue bitching about the Leafs players.

It's like people give more value to the opinion of the 12 voters saying he's generational, and ignoring the 417 voters that said he's not generational. 200+ of which claimed he wasn't even elite. But let's not talk about that. How is anyone logically trying to claim that what 2% of people said is more telling than what 98% said. Then again it's not logical at all.

Reactions: 1specter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad