Most overrated player in the NHL right now

Who is currently the most overrated player in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I say Sergei Bobrovsky.
Bob was awesome when won Vezina trophy
but last season ( 2019-2020 ) in Panthers was absolute disaster.

Bob clearly isn't worth 10 million USD per season.
Thanks a lot Dale Tallon.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
No big loss.

Legit laughed.

I was going to say Nate is getting pretty, that way and I hate to say that because how is arguably the 2nd best player in the league overrated, How can that be possible? He's not even an option which I'm thankful for because again I think he's clearly one of the very best but looking at Mack and 97's careers as a whole, ....Mackinnon doesen't match I mean, Dadonov has had more points in every season he's ever played, better then Half of his seasons, or near half. Where-as McDavid has had 100 or more pts or finished 3rd or higher in PPG in EVERY full season...hes ever played. (or any season with more then 50 games played)....again, Don't shoot Avs fans, I just called Mackinnon the 2nd best center, but I also posted a fact too.

And this question is both relative, obviously subjective if were going from Exposure/Hype/MEDIa it's Matthews and that isn't close but then again he's probably a top ten player, defenitely center.....it used to be Toews but that train slowed down.

Hard poll.

Maybe Kotkaniemi, with the hype he was getting....at times Laine ...but he became more rounded so nah. Based on contracts, Skinner...he can be crafty but he REALLY isnt that much better if at all then Sam Reinhart and he's sitting in the room last year making double.

Petey can (EP40) be both overrateed and underrated.

Duchene I've ALWAYS found overrated. I guess him.

I wouldn't say Matthews is currently overrated, but in 2018-19 he certainly was. Lots of unironic comparisons made by the TO media and fans to him and McDavid wondering who was better.

For instance from oct 2018:

Is Auston Matthews better than Connor McDavid? ... and the mailbag

The poll at the bottom of said story (probably mostly filled out by Torontonians) has Matthews as the best player in the world over McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Mackinnon, and Karlsson.

He was very much overrated back then.

Just google McDavid vs Matthews and you will find lots of similar stories and videos.

It was absolutely nauseating....Carolyn Cameron on sportsnet dubbed it 'The Great Debate'....Just because he starts every season with 10 goals in his first 5 or 6 games which usually includes a home and home against the sens, habs/sabres/wings once or twice maybe a random game vs isles/rangers whatever... I'm not even bashing Matthews, he's probably a top 10 forward but this MEDIA driven argument came out the past 2 Halloweens after again said above. Why does Kucherov/Nate/AM or ANYONE ALWAYS have to be compared to 97. I mean I get it, but man...

PS- I read that article you posted of 'MATTHEWS is the best player in the WORLD right now. Granted it's been 5 games and McDavid has played only 2......" I imagine most people stopped reading there.

Last edited:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
It's a tough question. Many players on the list aren't so much 'overrated' as they are past their prime. There's a huge difference.

If I'm gonna call someone overrated it's likely due to recency bias or being carried by a superstar.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Hot take. Its Barkov, he will struggle to hit point per game his offense isn't that impressive.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
This is so strange to me. I guess it depends on any persons definition of overrated.

He makes 4 mil a year...signed AFTER a cup win. And no one ever talks about him. He's a decent starting goaltender with a clutch factor. I don't know anyone who ever says otherwise.

I can't believe he has 37 votes.

A lot of the votes for Binner are either A) People who thought he was always terrible, even when he was proving them wrong and B) Canucks fans who are judging him only on the worst stretch of his career by a wide margin, but were also celebrating like they won the Cup when they beat him.

I'm cautiously optimistic on Binnington going forward, and his future is definitely more cloudy than it was last year. Having said that, with his value inside and outside of St. Louis being at a low the past 2 years, I'm not quite sure of the premise for him being overrated. If he was overrated at one point, it would be after the Cup last year when some people were ranking him as a top 5 goalie. Now, nobody has him top 10. Many don't have him top 15. Hard to argue when people are down on him that he is overrated.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Holy hell, people voting Matthews are just being inflammatory. Leaf fans, stop feeding these trolls. Regardless of contract structure, it's impossible to be overrated when you're a top 10 player in the NHL. Ridiculous.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Holy hell, people voting Matthews are just being inflammatory. Leaf fans, stop feeding these trolls. Regardless of contract structure, it's impossible to be overrated when you're a top 10 player in the NHL. Ridiculous.
Most Leaf fans don't care...You'll have Oiler fans on this site complaining that Leaf fans overrate their players but in a poll vote that the Oilers will win multiple cups in the next decade.

Leaf fans can't be optimistic but that doesn't stop them or the other irrelevant franchises in the league.

Go look at the trade board with anything Leaf posted vs any other team. The Leaf threads get massive attention while every other thread is like a desert.

Half the league isn't even financially viable without the Leafs, makes sense why other fans would care more about the Leafs than their own team.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
1. Auston Matthews
2. Mitch Marner
3. William Nylander
4. John Tavares
5. Joe Thornton

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Most Leaf fans don't care...You'll have Oiler fans on this site complaining that Leaf fans overrate their players but in a poll vote that the Oilers will win multiple cups in the next decade.

Leaf fans can't be optimistic but that doesn't stop them or the other irrelevant franchises in the league.

Go look at the trade board with anything Leaf posted vs any other team. The Leaf threads get massive attention while every other thread is like a desert.

Half the league isn't even financially viable without the Leafs, makes sense why other fans would care more about the Leafs than their own team.
Maybe it’s crap like this that makes people dislike some leaf fans. Maybe the leaf threads are the longest cause they’re filled with the most hot takes from leaf fans. Maybe just maybe not everything is someone else’s fault.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Regardless of contract structure, it's impossible to be overrated when you're a top 10 player in the NHL. Ridiculous.

Of course its possible. Maybe you dont know what overrated means.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Okay, this made me laugh.

You do care, that's why threads like these are filled with whining Leafs fans.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
AM being at the top is just silly. This is the first and last time I look at the main board

Leafs fans "Matthews is a top 5 forward"
Also Leafs fans "Matthews isn't overrated"

Should we bring up the Matthews vs McDavid thread again?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I just looked at the top defensemen poll...

It's Hamilton. Easily. Most overrated player in the league.
I didn’t watch a ton of canes this year but I always felt he was overrated. Defensively I’ve never been impressed by his play. He’s not like a drew doughty/Petriangelo he’s more like a burns/Karlsson.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
For me it's definitely Taylor Hall.

Sure he had one MVP season when we literally rode him and Kinkaid to a playoff appearance. Overall, watching his game he's skilled but he always leaves you wanting more.

He's one of those players where you look at the stat sheet after a game and think, how did he only have 1 assist? He should have had 3 goals that game. And that happens a lot.

He's skilled but overrated IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skolman and Dache
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad