Speculation: Most interesting off season teams to watch.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why? Allen is more like a 2A and a great back-up at $1.925M for one more season. Most teams go with the 50-55/25-30 split (ish) with their goalies these days. Allen playing behind a good starter on a decent team is a great situation.

You answered your own question.

they need a legitimate #1 and they got a 2A

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Tavares is 100% the choice to move if you blow up. Like ya he could block everything if he doesn't want to move but that just seems awkward. That was just my first thought to what Calgary could go for to fill in the 1C spot. Sharangovich is great but Kadri being our 1C is clearly the biggest hole. Not to concerned with finding a good 2nd pairing defender.

Calgary isn't blowing it up. Treliving throwing those stupid conditions on the Monahan 1st ensured that. Tanking without your 2026 first makes no sense. Gotta go for it with Kadri and Backlund only having a few years left before they inevitably fall off a cliff.
Tavares isn’t waiving.
As stated by others, he moved there to be closer to his family and raise his family in his hometown.
Plus, he burnt bridges leaving to go to Toronto. You don’t do that for a temp gig.
You are very likely stuck with him for the duration, which is only one more year, so… it’s not that bad

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If reports on deadline day are true that Dubois was being shopped I wonder if LA tries to move him before his NMC kicks in. I wonder how little they will get back and even with his horrid contract if they need to add something.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
New Jersey
New York Islanders
Pittsburgh

I don't say this because all 3 are rivals for NYR. I say this because those 3 teams have big decisions to make. My opinions will change as we see what happens in the playoffs to some teams. A 1st round exit can change a lot.

Devils - are going to enter the goalie market. They have to. They may even entertain a defensemen as well. I don't think they call this a throw away season. I think they actively go hard and making sure they're in a much better shape next season.

NYI - They didn't do anything at the deadline. Some changes need to be made going into the offseason. Do they buy out anybody? Do they start a retool? I'm sure their fans are getting impatient here. They have too many players they want to punt to the moon. The organization needs to do something and not just stay loyal to everybody. For the last 10 years they have been teasing their fanbase with some hope and then taking away that hope. I think their fans are starting to turn on their decisions.

Penguins - Probably the hardest decision to make out of all the teams going into the offseason. "What are we doing next season?" How do you look Letang, Malkin, Karlsson, and Crosby in the eyes and say - we are selling off everything? Do you try and keep this group together and make a retool run, or do you just stack the future now? If I were in that position 'm starting the rebuild immediately.
You look at them the same way Chicago management looked at Toews, Kane, Keith and Crawford. And Crawford was the first to go.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Buffalo and Ottawa both should be active and have pieces to move, Arizona has the assets and cap space and could always do something but who knows with their overall instability. Tampa I feel like will have some roster reconstruction, feels like Hanifin is still their's and I still don't see Stamkos walking
I’m inclined to agree on Stamkos. But as much as I like Hanifin, I don’t see him coming here. He’s a left shot defenseman, and they already have Sergachev and Hedman.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
In the last few days I've been musing about keeping the star instead.

Keeping the Swede not to replace him with the Canadian who doesn't want to leave the current club or does he want to leave the current club but not to the Rangers. ❔

In addition, Zibanejad is quite young. Around thirty years young. ❔

Been playing for a while. We'll keep Zibanejad anyway. ❔

..ok, but 30 isn’t young in the nhl, not when considering a long term deal.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I’m inclined to agree on Stamkos. But as much as I like Hanifin, I don’t see him coming here. He’s a left shot defenseman, and they already have Sergachev and Hedman.
Both he and Serg can also play the right side, but in any case, Tampa having a stacked left side worked out pretty well for them over the last few years. If Hanifin really does want to play for Tampa and is willing to work even a little on the aav, it's hard to see JBB saying no thanks. Sin e there were some reports that an extension may have been in place had he been traded to Tampa, if he does make it to ufa, one would think that there's a decent chance he may still sign with Tampa. It will be interesting, as there's likely enough to sign/keep two out of the three between Stamkos, Hanifin and Duclair, depending on if Brisebois wants to spend less on either F or D adds this summer.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Jets will be a team to watch again this summer. Crashing and burning down the stretch for a second season in a row...changes HAVE to be made.

Should see a new coaching staff (time for Boness to retire and Arniel is not the answer) and maybe new GM.

Several UFA's - Monahan, Tiffoli, Dillon, DeMelo, Miller and Broissoit.

Trade candidates could include perennial 30+ goal scorer Kyle Connor and stats darling Nik Ehlers.

Another long, chaotic summer in the Peg. And no 1st round pick.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think Edmonton will be a team to watch. If they don't go to at least the finals and a new GM coming in I can see changes happening.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Lots of Goalies, I think Leafs finally get a legit Goalie and move forward with there core.
Bruins make big splash through trade and grab a decent UFA.
Buffalo makes moves and still misses playoffs but by 2 points.
Vegas moves a few guys but stay legit, then deadline pull off magic again.
Most Canadian teams regress like Winny and Vancouver.
Florida keeps there 50+ goal scorer but gets weaker with cap restraints still legit though

Montreal and Ottawa still bottom teams although I thought Ottawa would be good this year they let me down.
Philly struggles to get into playoffs like Washington.
Pens make big trade and start rebuild but unfortunately Crosby stays and there 5yrs away.
Tampa keeps Stammer and some how adds another piece and becomes top team in East.
Dallas and Avs still top teams canes and rags same.
NJD join Canes and Rags in race in the metro

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I think there will be a lot of movement for the Habs this off season. We have too many defenders and way too many picks this draft and next so something has to give as we can't sign all these new prospects.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Bruins after losing their top two centers,

Oh wait that was last offseason.

It still might be them, I could see them in on Lindholm and Monahan because they almost have to be.

And I do wonder what happens with Ullmark and Debrusk.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
It still might be them, I could see them in on Lindholm and Monahan because they almost have to be.

And I do wonder what happens with Ullmark and Debrusk.
From my point of view I hope we sign Jake. Ullmark should bring back a good return if he's moved.

Bruins have money to spend so it will be interesting to see how they use it. Neither of those guy you mentioned move the needle for me, especially at the FA prices they will demand.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lots of Goalies, I think Leafs finally get a legit Goalie and move forward with there core.
Bruins make big splash through trade and grab a decent UFA.
Buffalo makes moves and still misses playoffs but by 2 points.
Vegas moves a few guys but stay legit, then deadline pull off magic again.
Most Canadian teams regress like Winny and Vancouver.
Florida keeps there 50+ goal scorer but gets weaker with cap restraints still legit though

Montreal and Ottawa still bottom teams although I thought Ottawa would be good this year they let me down.
Philly struggles to get into playoffs like Washington.
Pens make big trade and start rebuild but unfortunately Crosby stays and there 5yrs away.
Tampa keeps Stammer and some how adds another piece and becomes top team in East.
Dallas and Avs still top teams canes and rags same.
NJD join Canes and Rags in race in the metro

That's the thing with Buffalo they are in the Atlantic.

The top 4 spots in the Atlantic are locked up and will be for awhile.

Toronto, Boston, Tampa and Florida probably aren't following off anytime soon although Florida and do have some major free agents over the next 2 years but I except most if not all of them to stay.

Beyond that Detroit seems to be knocking on the wildcard door so I'm not sure how Buffalo gets in until at least 2027.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It’s been suggested a couple times and I know no one follows them and I’m a CBJ fan but Columbus is gonna be interesting I think. Hard part about discussing it is we don’t know what is going to happen, which should add to the interest.

A new GM is going to come in and, IMO, make some decisions based on players who fit whatever plan they have. This could mean a young players or two on their first contracts or coming up for RFA get moved. Could be some sorting out of vets too but there’s not much to sort.

Laine in the PAP is interesting. Do they do another coaching search? Does JD retire?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I have no idea what to expect from Calgary. If they give the reigns to Wolf and trade Markstrom they'll have a ton of cap space.

Like 25M and need to sign Kylington and likely a middle pairing defense. That's pretty much all they need to re-sign. Looking at contracts, add to that Montreal could end up with our first and the team isn't set up to tank for the next two years. They'll lose more value through age and losing a first than they'll gain on a top 5-10 pick.

I could see them going for Tavares or something. If they're out early again that's totally a Treliving move. NMC clause but if they want him out could waive it and where else would he even go? Nashville maybe
If they're smart, they'll just spend to the floor and commit to the rebuild. But history has proven ownership isn't that bright.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s been suggested a couple times and I know no one follows them and I’m a CBJ fan but Columbus is gonna be interesting I think. Hard part about discussing it is we don’t know what is going to happen, which should add to the interest.

A new GM is going to come in and, IMO, make some decisions based on players who fit whatever plan they have. This could mean a young players or two on their first contracts or coming up for RFA get moved. Could be some sorting out of vets too but there’s not much to sort.

Laine in the PAP is interesting. Do they do another coaching search? Does JD retire?
Question is whether the ownership/upper management can put aside their internal bias of the state of the club / or where they think the club should be when it comes to interviewing all of the candidates.

Vancouver owners in 2014 clearly felt that their team could still compete, so any gm candidate that even suggested that their time was either up or maybe a year away from being up wasn't going to get hired.

CBS needs to sit back and really ask why the candidates feel/assess how their roster is and what is in their system. Whether that is better or worse than their own assessments.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Question is whether the ownership/upper management can put aside their internal bias of the state of the club / or where they think the club should be when it comes to interviewing all of the candidates.

Vancouver owners in 2014 clearly felt that their team could still compete, so any gm candidate that even suggested that their time was either up or maybe a year away from being up wasn't going to get hired.

CBS needs to sit back and really ask why the candidates feel/assess how their roster is and what is in their system. Whether that is better or worse than their own assessments.
Whatever internal bias they have was colored by the prior GM. I think firing him was clarification they are prepared for a new phase in the rebuild. They have been acquiring (mostly young) players and now the time has come to sift through them and begin to assemble a team.

Just my take. Anyway that's why I suspect it will be interesting. If the club proves to be stuck in its thinking then yeah it will be much less so.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If they're smart, they'll just spend to the floor and commit to the rebuild. But history has proven ownership isn't that bright.

Zero chance they rebuild. Huberdeau, Kadri, and possibly Weegar are going to be anchors in 3-4 years and the depth is currently solid. Might not be fair to lump Weegar in with them haha

They're going to 100% try to duct tape a top line together somehow with cap space. Just giving up and intentionally sucking with the current roster isn't going to happen. If it doesn't work sell off Mangiapane/Kuzmenko/Markstrom at the TDL and repeat this year.

Trying to compete with the basement dwellers next year is a non starter

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think Edmonton will be a team to watch. If they don't go to at least the finals and a new GM coming in I can see changes happening.
What kind of changes?
The main players are probably not being moved. So mainly depth guys I’d think. And not really a ton of cap.
Maybe buy out Campbell?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad