Speculation: Most interesting off season teams to watch.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I am going to say the habs because they are in a phase that they have sold their best players to maximize assets, and now they have more contracts and picks than they can handle. They will soon enter a phase where they start consolidating these assets soon enough. Also, depending on how they view the youngsters' progress, they may end up selling on a few vets .
Yup. Habs have a lot of assets to acquire a couple better players.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
well unfortunately the plan was to get Matthews and Nylander extended and rounding out the team last. chances are we wont see many big signings just bargain bin shopping and trying to solve our issues with our prospects. Hildeby is pretty solid. he deserves a shot.

right now we need to refill the cupboards for a season or two. get our core signed and let the cap continue to rise.

I mean who knows maybe we do but I think we run with Woll/Hildeby and see what we got. with Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares and Rielly signed and needing I think 4 forwards and atleast 3 Dman to sign I just dunno how there will be any cap left for goalies

You say he deserves a shot, why? You want to gift him the backup job, don't you remember what happened the last time they gifted the backup job to somebody?

He was goalie of the year

He won a championship

He was Garett Sparks and he was a disgrace to the jersey to the point where for all intents and purposes he was kicked off the team.

You don't gift jobs to people especially in pro sports.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
As a homer Canes fan, I'd have to say our off season will be "interesting".

Carolina's UFAs:

Teravainen
Guentzel
Martinook
Noesen
Skjei
Pesce
Chattfield
Deangelo

Carolina's RFAs:

Jarvis
Necas
Drury

The general consensus from Canes fans is that Deangelo and Noesen are gone but for different reasons. Tony because he's been surpassed by other players and Noesen because he will likely price himself out of our market.

Martinook makes $1.8 million and likely will be resigned for something similar to what Fast got last offseason ($2.4 million per for 2 years).

The front office has been negotiating with Chatfield, so that will be interesting. Most of us want to keep Chatty and assume he'll get something between $2.5 million to $3.5 million over 3 or 4 years. But, again, the market may push that number higher and that will be interesting for the Canes as they typically assign a value to a player and rarely go over that value.

The general consensus on Skjei and probably Pesce as well is that they will probably price themselves out of our market. The sticking point with both players is likely term.

Teravainen and Guentzel are most likely linked with Teravainen potentially taking a discount (and a shorter term). If Guentzel gets signed by Carolina, I can't see that deal being more than $8 million to $8.5 million per year. That's probably less than market value, so it would be up to both parties on term. An 8 x 8.5 contract is likely very competitive with a 7 x 9 one. Personally, I just don't see us re-signing Jake (age and money).

That leaves the 3 RFAs. Personally, I believe they bridge Jarvis ($3.5 million to $5 million per on a 2 year deal). But if Guentzel walks, then I could see an 8 year deal coming in at $6.5 million to $7.25 million ove 8 years. Drury will likely get bridged too or maybe take a deal that buys out 1 year of UFA. Regardless, I think his hit for next season is between $1.5 million to $2.5 million. He's also a potential trade chip but Brindy loves him, so there's always that.

That leaves Marty Necas who brings a dynamism to this team like nobody else. He's another guy that the Canes would probably love to get for a long term deal that starts with a 6. Perhaps they go to $7 million on a long term deal. He's also the guy most likely to get traded if salary negotiations go south.

Regardless, lots of moving parts in Raleigh.

Reactions: andora

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As a homer Canes fan, I'd have to say our off season will be "interesting".

Carolina's UFAs:

Teravainen
Guentzel
Martinook
Noesen
Skjei
Pesce
Chattfield
Deangelo

Carolina's RFAs:

Jarvis
Necas
Drury

The general consensus from Canes fans is that Deangelo and Noesen are gone but for different reasons. Tony because he's been surpassed by other players and Noesen because he will likely price himself out of our market.

Martinook makes $1.8 million and likely will be resigned for something similar to what Fast got last offseason ($2.4 million per for 2 years).

The front office has been negotiating with Chatfield, so that will be interesting. Most of us want to keep Chatty and assume he'll get something between $2.5 million to $3.5 million over 3 or 4 years. But, again, the market may push that number higher and that will be interesting for the Canes as they typically assign a value to a player and rarely go over that value.

The general consensus on Skjei and probably Pesce as well is that they will probably price themselves out of our market. The sticking point with both players is likely term.

Teravainen and Guentzel are most likely linked with Teravainen potentially taking a discount (and a shorter term). If Guentzel gets signed by Carolina, I can't see that deal being more than $8 million to $8.5 million per year. That's probably less than market value, so it would be up to both parties on term. An 8 x 8.5 contract is likely very competitive with a 7 x 9 one. Personally, I just don't see us re-signing Jake (age and money).

That leaves the 3 RFAs. Personally, I believe they bridge Jarvis ($3.5 million to $5 million per on a 2 year deal). But if Guentzel walks, then I could see an 8 year deal coming in at $6.5 million to $7.25 million ove 8 years. Drury will likely get bridged too or maybe take a deal that buys out 1 year of UFA. Regardless, I think his hit for next season is between $1.5 million to $2.5 million. He's also a potential trade chip but Brindy loves him, so there's always that.

That leaves Marty Necas who brings a dynamism to this team like nobody else. He's another guy that the Canes would probably love to get for a long term deal that starts with a 6. Perhaps they go to $7 million on a long term deal. He's also the guy most likely to get traded if salary negotiations go south.

Regardless, lots of moving parts in Raleigh.

I agree 100% with you but there is one thing you didn't mention, the real reason you guys are interesting.

Your coach is a UFA and half the league would fire their coach to bring in yours.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I want to see if Detroit overhauls their awful defense. Can't see that being too easy with bad contracts on the books with Petry, Chiarot, Walman, Olli Maata and Justin Holl all have more years after this season ends.

Only Gostisbehere is a UFA and Seider is a RFA.

What a mess. Yzerman is dealing from a position of weakness here. Pretty much every one of those 5 guys above is negative value.

If you are not a playoff team and you're paying teams to take bad contacts off your hands, you made some roster mistakes as the GM.
Chiarot has earned his cap hit this season. Easily the second best defenseman on the team. I have no problem with him sticking around.

Maatta is tradeable. 3M and one year after this one.

Petry has a low cap hit, 2.34M. Won't be moved.

Walman has a pretty low cap hit as well. 3.4M for two more years. Easily tradeable.

None of these contracts have negative value, only Holl's.

The bad contracts are elsewhere. Copp and to a degree Compher are overpaid. And Husso as well. Maybe Fabbri at 4M for one more year.

Then you have the bargains. Lyon at 900k for one more year, Ras at 3.2M for the next 4. Then you can count in the ELCs.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I agree 100% with you but there is one thing you didn't mention, the real reason you guys are interesting.

Your coach is a UFA and half the league would fire their coach to bring in yours.
Our coach is a millionaire who has been vocal about not wanting to be a career coach or work in hockey long-term and not wanting to coach elsewhere.

I'm more concerned we win the Cup and he retires afterwards.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Our coach is a millionaire who has been vocal about not wanting to be a career coach or work in hockey long-term and not wanting to coach elsewhere.

I'm more concerned we win the Cup and he retires afterwards.

Kyle Dubas said those same things, he was in Pittsburgh a month later.

Money talks and when it does people listen

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You say he deserves a shot, why? You want to gift him the backup job, don't you remember what happened the last time they gifted the backup job to somebody?

He was goalie of the year

He won a championship

He was Garett Sparks and he was a disgrace to the jersey to the point where for all intents and purposes he was kicked off the team.

You don't gift jobs to people especially in pro sports.
hes played 32 games in the AHL and his numbers arent terrible. I guess we will see. I dunno how we have enough cap to fill our roster and spend on a goalie.

ToniJ1960

Feb 18, 2009
I think you're overstating the goalie market.

Gibson has been available for how long now? For the last 5 years he's either declined or remained stagnant.

Merzlikins has a terrible contract where being available may not make a difference.

Not sure why Binnington or Jarry are even listed

Kuemper looks like he's on the downswing, he hasn't been very good since leaving Colorado and has lots of term left.

Vejmelka, the shine has worn off. He's young enough a team might take a chance but I don't see it being a team that fancies themselves a contender.

So let's be honest here, the goalie market is really Ullmark, Saros and Markstrom, LA, Toronto, New Jersey, Colorado and Carolina have all be involved in goalie talks. So we have more suitors than good options right off the bat. Also, what about teams that may want to move on from their current poor contract between the pipes? Will Staios try to upgrade Korpisalo on Ottawa? Will the Coyotes try and upgrade Vejmelka? Will Detroit try to upgrade?

he market may be overflowing with cap dumps and mediocre goaltending, but it is not overflowing in quality goalies.
he is, this is the same guy talking about Parayko to Toronto still a few posts back.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’m interested in the Canadian clubs outside of Van and Winnipeg.

Like for Toronto and Edmonton; if they get booted early? What’s the next step here? Edmonton only had a couple more years of McDavid and will patience be out if he gets the boot in round 1? Toronto? Same thing. Does Marner get dealt?

Then on the other side of the coin, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal. What’s the next move here? Is Calgary moving on from Marky and embracing the full rebuild? Is Montreal going to take a next step? Is Ottawa going to get relegated to the AHL?

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Chicago should try to make a run at some free agents, not to get the team into contention, but they really shouldn't look like an AHL roster, but at least reshuffle the deck in terms of veteran defensemen to not be playing some hot garbage like Tinordi or Zadorov. Get some talented forwards to help insulate the young guys coming up soon. Locker room stuff is cool but you don't need to prioritize leadership now, get guys who aren't cancers who can play well and positively effect young guys growth with their play. I would also not mind going for a big fish like Reinhart or Guentzel either as much as I doubt it.

TL;DR look like a NHL roster

Reactions: nbwingsfan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’m interested in the Canadian clubs outside of Van and Winnipeg.

Like for Toronto and Edmonton; if they get booted early? What’s the next step here? Edmonton only had a couple more years of McDavid and will patience be out if he gets the boot in round 1? Toronto? Same thing. Does Marner get dealt?

Then on the other side of the coin, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal. What’s the next move here? Is Calgary moving on from Marky and embracing the full rebuild? Is Montreal going to take a next step? Is Ottawa going to get relegated to the AHL?

I don't think Marner gets dealt, I think if they were going to make a major change like that they would have already done it.

I think Keefe gets fired first and if Pittsburgh fires Mike Sullivan after they miss the playoffs I think he'd be a prime candidate to take over.

I do expect MAJOR changes to the defense.

and they only have 1 goalie under contract next year so they HAVE to bring in a goalie.

I expect major change but not to the core.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto is they fail once again can’t possibly go into another season with that core, can they?

Buffalo has one again not made any ground. When will they start trading their youth for established talent?

Ottawa has now locked up their core and are a bottom 5 team. What changes do they make?

Vegas is on paper a wreck for next season cap wise. What magic do they pull off again?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto is they fail once again can’t possibly go into another season with that core, can they?

Buffalo has one again not made any ground. When will they start trading their youth for established talent?

Ottawa has now locked up their core and are a bottom 5 team. What changes do they make?

Vegas is on paper a wreck for next season cap wise. What magic do they pull off again?

As long as Shanny is around I think the core stays intact.

And honestly I'm not sure that would be the wrong move.

I mean look at your own team, Yzerman didn't win until he was 30 or 31, it took him 13 years to get it done.

Ovechkin was 31 or 32 it took him 14 years.

The Leafs core is still in their 20's there is still time, at least another 10 years

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Tavares isn't going anywhere... he came to Toronto to raise a family near his family, and his wife's family..., along with her career.

Pittsburgh is one of the bigger ones to me. They scream blow it up and rebuild, but I don't know if anyone has the stomach to do that, while Crosby is still wanting to be there.

Calgary has some pretty big decisions as well... which direction are they headed? Plenty of their top half of their roster is 30+, Markstrom is a question mark, and they have to rebuild the D.

Toronto is an interesting one... if they fail in the first round again, what are the consequences? Front office blow up? What changes would a new regime make? Very talented players, who seem to lack the ability to compete when it counts the most.

Arizona is interesting to me as well. Twenty picks in the first three rounds, over the next three years... I can see them trading up, or trading for some more developed young players. Too many picks to sign in the future.
Calgary really isn’t that old anymore. 5 players across their entire top 9/top4 are 30 currently. They ditched about half their 30 year olds in one calendar year under Conroy, they went from being the 10th oldest to the 11th youngest team year over year.
Tavares is 100% the choice to move if you blow up. Like ya he could block everything if he doesn't want to move but that just seems awkward. That was just my first thought to what Calgary could go for to fill in the 1C spot. Sharangovich is great but Kadri being our 1C is clearly the biggest hole. Not to concerned with finding a good 2nd pairing defender.

Calgary isn't blowing it up. Treliving throwing those stupid conditions on the Monahan 1st ensured that. Tanking without your 2026 first makes no sense. Gotta go for it with Kadri and Backlund only having a few years left before they inevitably fall off a cliff.
Yea if Calgary does decide to tank it actually helps them keep their picks, not the other way around. If Calgary picks is in the top 10 next year Florida’s pick transfers to Montreal, not ours (unless Florida falls to pieces next year). Calgary losing their 2026 1st only comes from an extremely weird scenario where Florida somehow picks in the top 10 next year AND Calgary picks 1st overall next year.

Regardless Calgary has outright said that isn’t the plan though so it’s a moot point. Calgary will have an interesting off-season though. All of Sharangovich, Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, and maybe Markstrom could be moved, and have said they hope to be active in free agency.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
As long as Shanny is around I think the core stays intact.

And honestly I'm not sure that would be the wrong move.

I mean look at your own team, Yzerman didn't win until he was 30 or 31, it took him 13 years to get it done.

Ovechkin was 31 or 32 it took him 14 years.

The Leafs core is still in their 20's there is still time, at least another 10 years
Yes Yzerman didn’t win for a while, but they still had decent playoff runs along the way.

They also drastically changed the core around Yzerman as well. So not really comparable

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Starting to think Vegas is going to be crazy in the off-season. Cap crunch and free agents should free up some assets for trade or UFA departure.

Whitecloud, Roy, and Howden are all guys I could see getting dealt. Of the UFAs Stephenson and Marchessault seem like guys that may not be back. Mantha I assume as well. Martinez maybe comes back on a team friendly one year deal.

How I see it:

I thik Korczak has proven capable of replacing Whitecloud. So my prediction is they move Whitecloud on to Winnipeg, Ottawa, Vancouver or Buffalo. Stephenson (redundant) leaves via FA and the rest come back. I think Roy fits their team better than Stephenson. Mantha returns on a one year deal at like 2 or 2.5.

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
NJ is publicly searching for a starting goalie. They’ll also probably be looking for top 4 LHD.

What will make them interesting to watch is the players they’ll have to give up. NJ fans are pretty stingy with our assets. To be fair we sucked for 10 years to collect all of those assets. But fans of other teams think we should be giving up more than we want so someone is going to be upset.
A couple of LHDs as FA this summer in Hanifin and Skjej. Pettersson in Pit if he is available should be a trade consideration. The G thing is getting old with a Bruins beat writer saying Ullmark could be available for a 2nd and a 3rd (I think he meant in a pkg not just for that but who knows), why are we looking at Holtz + for Marky (Holtz, Mercer and our 24th 1st for Saros!). Don't need to spend like a drunk sailor. Get Su;;y here from Pitt, geta bunch of 3 and liners with more grit than we currently have and a 3/4 faceoff guys like Sturm in SJ

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Canucks have 29M of cap space this off season

UFA’s
Lindholm, Cole, Myers, Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, DeSmith, Zadorov

RFA
Hronek

Going to be real interesting what they plan to do. They also have a less than ideal contract like Mikheyev they might look to move.

They’ll probably try and sign Blueger, Joshua, and possibly Zadorov. Not sure how much Hronek’s going to cost but I’d be open to flipping him if his commands are too much.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Tavares is 100% the choice to move if you blow up. Like ya he could block everything if he doesn't want to move but that just seems awkward. That was just my first thought to what Calgary could go for to fill in the 1C spot. Sharangovich is great but Kadri being our 1C is clearly the biggest hole. Not to concerned with finding a good 2nd pairing defender.

Calgary isn't blowing it up. Treliving throwing those stupid conditions on the Monahan 1st ensured that. Tanking without your 2026 first makes no sense. Gotta go for it with Kadri and Backlund only having a few years left before they inevitably fall off a cliff.

Toronto isn’t blowing anything up. What are they gonna do find better players than Marner, Matthews and Nylander?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad