Speculation: Most interesting off season teams to watch.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Starting to think Vegas is going to be crazy in the off-season. Cap crunch and free agents should free up some assets for trade or UFA departure.

Whitecloud, Roy, and Howden are all guys I could see getting dealt. Of the UFAs Stephenson and Marchessault seem like guys that may not be back. Mantha I assume as well. Martinez maybe comes back on a team friendly one year deal.

How I see it:

I thik Korczak has proven capable of replacing Whitecloud. So my prediction is they move Whitecloud on to Winnipeg, Ottawa, Vancouver or Buffalo. Stephenson (redundant) leaves via FA and the rest come back. I think Roy fits their team better than Stephenson. Mantha returns on a one year deal at like 2 or 2.5.

I could see Buffalo being very interested in Roy or Whitecloud but the return would be future picks. And the future picks of course would allow the Knights to go spend on their usual mid-season purchase(s).

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Tavares isn't going anywhere... he came to Toronto to raise a family near his family, and his wife's family..., along with her career.

Pittsburgh is one of the bigger ones to me. They scream blow it up and rebuild, but I don't know if anyone has the stomach to do that, while Crosby is still wanting to be there.

Calgary has some pretty big decisions as well... which direction are they headed? Plenty of their top half of their roster is 30+, Markstrom is a question mark, and they have to rebuild the D.

Toronto is an interesting one... if they fail in the first round again, what are the consequences? Front office blow up? What changes would a new regime make? Very talented players, who seem to lack the ability to compete when it counts the most.

Arizona is interesting to me as well. Twenty picks in the first three rounds, over the next three years... I can see them trading up, or trading for some more developed young players. Too many picks to sign in the future.
As a Toronto fan it sucks because there is literally nothing they can do. No matter what GM takes over the big 4 won’t be moved and any other trade due to cap constraints is a shuffling deck chairs

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Starting to think Vegas is going to be crazy in the off-season. Cap crunch and free agents should free up some assets for trade or UFA departure.

Whitecloud, Roy, and Howden are all guys I could see getting dealt. Of the UFAs Stephenson and Marchessault seem like guys that may not be back. Mantha I assume as well. Martinez maybe comes back on a team friendly one year deal.

How I see it:

I thik Korczak has proven capable of replacing Whitecloud. So my prediction is they move Whitecloud on to Winnipeg, Ottawa, Vancouver or Buffalo. Stephenson (redundant) leaves via FA and the rest come back. I think Roy fits their team better than Stephenson. Mantha returns on a one year deal at like 2 or 2.5.
I'm expecting at some point the bill is going to come due for Vegas for their approach and they're going to spend some time in the metaphorical and literal desert. Not bad enough to rebuild, not good enough to be better than a bubble team and an easy 1st round out, not having any assets left to change their fortunes.

Every year and offseason I predict the wheels are about to come off and every year I'm wrong.

Reactions: AslanRH

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don't think Marner is getting traded, I think if they were going to shake up the core it would have been done by now, Kyle Dubas got fired the second he even THOUGHT about shaking up the core.

What I think happens if go out early again.

Keefe gets fired

Mike Sullivan gets hired after he's fired from Pittsburgh.

Keefe gets hired by Pittsburgh.

Leafs completely overhaul the defense

bring in a more established goalie because as talented as Woll is he's injury prone.

Marner gets signed.

One of Domi or Bertuzzi are kept, Reilly Smith replaces the other.

Big changes are coming but not core changes.
Mike sullivan is one of the worst coaches available

He has killed the pens. Pens were still an elite team 2019-2022 but he killed them with his outdated systems and approach to coaching

Hopefully leafs, stay away from him

Reactions: nofehr

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This players is in rebuilding in NYR:
Brodzinski Chytil Cuylle Goodrow
Kakko Kreider Lafreniere Panarin
Rempe Roslovic Trocheck Vesey
Wennberg
Trade Zibanejad/Wheeler for Crosby
Crosby is a top 10 all time NHL great still at the top of his game. He’s won 3 Cups.

Zibanejad is about to turn 31 and finishing the second year of an 8 x $8.5M deal. Very good player who hasn’t won anything, appears disinterested at times and might not age well I suspect (just a guess).

Wheeler btw is a UFA.

How many first round picks are you adding to that proposal?

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mike sullivan is one of the worst coaches available

He has killed the pens. Pens were still an elite team 2019-2022 but he killed them with his outdated systems and approach to coaching

Hopefully leafs, stay away from him

His "outdated systems" won back to back championships

You are simply wrong.

He didn't kilk the Pens they are the oldest team in the league with no prospects coming.

People say the Leafs have no prospects, no no, the Pens have NO prospects

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Crosby is a top 10 all time NHL great still at the top of his game. He’s won 3 Cups.

Zibanejad is about to turn 31 and finishing the second year of an 8 x $8.5M deal. Very good player who hasn’t won anything, appears disinterested at times and might not age well I suspect (just a guess).

Wheeler btw is a UFA.

How many first round picks are you adding to that proposal?

In the last few days I've been musing about keeping the star instead.

Keeping the Swede not to replace him with the Canadian who doesn't want to leave the current club or does he want to leave the current club but not to the Rangers. ❔

In addition, Zibanejad is quite young. Around thirty years young. ❔

Been playing for a while. We'll keep Zibanejad anyway. ❔

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
His "outdated systems" won back to back championships

You are simply wrong.

He didn't kilk the Pens they are the oldest team in the league with no prospects coming.

People say the Leafs have no prospects, no no, the Pens have NO prospects
The pens werent the oldest team in the league in 2018 to 2022 window

He is Mike Babcock 2.0 living of success from a long time ago (babs in 2008 and 2009 cup and SCF) while Sullivan (16 and 17 cup). He has done nothing in 7 years since. Similar to Babcock in his 6 years after 2009

You're simply wrong about his ability as a coach. He is garbage

• Wow
Reactions: Bijelo

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I'm expecting at some point the bill is going to come due for Vegas for their approach and they're going to spend some time in the metaphorical and literal desert. Not bad enough to rebuild, not good enough to be better than a bubble team and an easy 1st round out, not having any assets left to change their fortunes.

Every year and offseason I predict the wheels are about to come off and every year I'm wrong.
San Jose then Chicago then Washington now Pittsburgh then Boston (next year), then Tampa then Vegas Roughly in that order. Contenders tip into rebuilds eventually.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

They've only got 4 NMCs to deal with and 1 could easily end up LTIR.
I think once they see a closed window due to lack of depth/ability to better the roster they will sell everything not tied down. Loyalty isn't a thing there, so likely a couple of those NMCs will end up being asked if they are up for a rebuild and will choose to leave too.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Habs are another team to watch. I don't expect any big UFA signings but we have a boatload of defenceman that we will have to make some decisions on this summer. Could make for some fun trades
Agreed....although I expect the draft will be the time for those deals.....

Pittsburgh
Montréal
Tampa Bay
I would add Toronto and Vegas to see how they manage the cap issues.....

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Toronto has a first round exit, I am curious to see what they do with the core. They also have a ton of cap space despite what people think of their cap situation.

Leafs do have options in the cap yes but what UFA's are reaching the July market and will it turn the needle? I was surprised ROR didn't want to stay

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah I figured they would still be looking for a #1 which is what makes the Jake Allen trade somewhat odd.

Why? Allen is more like a 2A and a great back-up at $1.925M for one more season. Most teams go with the 50-55/25-30 split (ish) with their goalies these days. Allen playing behind a good starter on a decent team is a great situation.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
Toronto to offer Laurent Brossoit a big bag of cash after their first round exit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad