Most clutch playoff players in the last decade?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Pretty sure it's just Crosby and Malkin if you are only going back ten years. People never really talk about how amazing he was that year.

Also Danny Briere in 2010, beyond that I'm pretty sure nobody pre-lockout hit 30 playoff points.

He was a ppg or above in every series that year, including the final yet there was next to no Conn Smythe hype.

They weren't going to give it to a guy on a losing team, sadly, but it's funny how he had 11 more points than the guy that did win the Smythe. In my opinion, Pavelski was the best player for the Sharks; he scored 13 goals in 18 games in the first 3 rounds. Yeah, he disappeared in the finals, but so did most of the team.

Pretty sure there was talk that if San Jose won the Cup, he'd win CS.

I think that based on how the final went, the guy there almost certainly would have been Martin Jones.

From the Sharks, Couture has really only had 2 bad series; the reverse sweep in 2014, and last year's first round where he was severely injured. He has always stepped it up in the playoffs and his career playoff numbers are fantastic; even outside of his insane 30 point run, he's been a great playoff performer. He just went head to head with Getzlaf and destroyed him; everybody sucks Johansen's dick for being a mediocre offensive player and destroying Getzlaf one time in a head to head, but Couture is an elite goal scorer with a 30 point playoff run to his name and gets no credit for doing the same thing.

Martin Jones, though, is #1. In the two playoff series that he has lost as a Shark, he has been debatably the series MVP. His playoff numbers (over a small 34 game sample size) are near the greatest of all time. He almost single handedly stole a series in the 2016 Stanley Cup Final, and he just allowed only 4 goals in 4 games to the Ducks. Until one of them have a meltdown, I'm ranking Martin Jones and Matt Murray as the league's top two playoff goalies.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There was until he reached the finals. Where he didnt score a goal until game 5 and his team down 3-1 in the series. Pavs as well.

Pens have a habit of shutting down other teams top lines/players these last two years.
Couture scored 6 pts in 6 games. Even counting empty net points it was 2 more than Crosby.

OldFESeides

May 15, 2014
2011 Nathan Horton, game winners against Montreal and Tampa Bay in game 7 scenarios. Everything about him in that year was just pure clutch.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Its got to be Jake Guentzel. 6 Game winning goals and 1 shorthanded goal the last 2 years and counting. 34 playoff points the last 5 series for the Penguins. Number 2 in the league in points per game in the playoffs. Big Game Jake also eliminated the Flyers last series in Game 6. 28% shooting percentage, and only 4 powerplay points. Playoff Beast

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Three pages in and no mention of "Mr. Playoffs" himself, Jake Guentzel?!

I'm not mad, just disappointed. :huh::naughty:

Its just there are so many from that team that have had huge moments in the past decade..

Crosby and malkin have Conn Smythes... and have scored or set up a ton of huge goals
Murray has been stellar
Rust has scored so many in elimination games...
Kessel has been phenominal the last two seasons
Bonino was out of his mind in 16
Cullen stepped up big how many times the past two playoffs...
and hornqvist.. I mean that guy is clutcher than clutch...

Reactions: Trade

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Clutch is winning a game 7 your team has to win a game 7 of a series to continue and there is only 1 Mr Game 7, Justin Williams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad