Prospect Info: Morrissey & Petan named to Canadian selection camp roster

jetkarma*

If that is accurate I was wrong in thinking Comrie was our best bet to make the team . Really odd that only two goalies would be invited , kind of waiting to see if that is going to change or not.

Good of course to see Petan and Morrissey though , we will have players to watch on probably three teams this holiday season . Nice.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If that is accurate I was wrong in thinking Comrie was our best bet to make the team . Really odd that only two goalies would be invited , kind of waiting to see if that is going to change or not.

Good of course to see Petan and Morrissey though , we will have players to watch on probably three teams this holiday season . Nice.

After watching things unfold after the Subway series I had our guys ranked (highest to lowest in probability)

Morrissey
Comrie
Petan

I felt Morrissey was going to be tough to keep off the team going onto the big ice. Watching him play with Rienhart and Pulock in B2B nights it became apparent to me at least he was on the number 1 unit both nights. I felt Comrie would be in the mix of 3 out of the 5 goalies they were looking at but it turns out they only took 2? I felt Nic was very capable but might get caught in the numbers game of smaller skilled guys (only so many spots for skilled playmakers).

I really hope both our boys make the final cut.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Nic had 4 goals yesterday for the Winterhawks. He now has 60 points in 28 games in the dub.

That being said, it will still be tough for him to make this team but I wish him the best.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretty surprised to see Domi and Nurse left out.

I'm not really suprised Hank.

Nurse had a bit of a rough subway series and the D core is deep. Domi seems to have got caught in a numbers game but there were some rumblings about his passion for playing a 2 way game.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
RE: Nurse - there was a tweet that stated they were looking for him to play a simpler game, and not try to do too much. They didn't see this happen in the SSS, so that sealed his fate, apparently.

jetkarma*

After watching things unfold after the Subway series I had our guys ranked (highest to lowest in probability)

Morrissey
Comrie
Petan

I felt Morrissey was going to be tough to keep off the team going onto the big ice. Watching him play with Rienhart and Pulock in B2B nights it became apparent to me at least he was on the number 1 unit both nights. I felt Comrie would be in the mix of 3 out of the 5 goalies they were looking at but it turns out they only took 2? I felt Nic was very capable but might get caught in the numbers game of smaller skilled guys (only so many spots for skilled playmakers).

I really hope both our boys make the final cut.

I thought Comrie's composure and his overall ability would lead to him being one of three goalies on the team . I thought he was the most likely of the Jets prospects to make the team , still unsure about the naming of only two ? That has to change doesn't it?

I thought Petan could be caught in the numbers game as you also said and I hoped Morrissey would make the squad but thought he was 50/50 . If both end up playing that will be a plus and if I had a choice and only two could make it , it would be Morrissey and Petan , as I think it is less beneficial for Comrie than for them .

Now hoping Copp gets selected Wednesday , to go with Kostalek , that would make it very interesting for us Jets fans this holiday season. Good to be relevant at the WJC , and we saw that being impactful can lead to decisions being made maybe sooner than later.

Not to say either will replicate what Trouba did or how the Jets proceed with handling them the rest of this year. This experience will be very beneficial for both of them , and of course for the Jets too.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I for one am not surprised by no Nurse. Guy has ZERO hockey sense. Vastly overrated player.

Looks like no "selection camp" this year. Interesting.

jetkarma*

I for one am not surprised by no Nurse. Guy has ZERO hockey sense. Vastly overrated player.

What do you make of of only two goalies being selected? They have to bring three to camp don't they?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought Comrie's composure and his overall ability would lead to him being one of three goalies on the team . I thought he was the most likely of the Jets prospects to make the team , still unsure about the naming of only two ? That has to change doesn't it?

I thought Petan could be caught in the numbers game as you also said and I hoped Morrissey would make the squad but thought he was 50/50 . If both end up playing that will be a plus and if I had a choice and only two could make it , it would be Morrissey and Petan , as I think it is less beneficial for Comrie than for them .

Now hoping Copp gets selected Wednesday , to go with Kostalek , that would make it very interesting for us Jets fans this holiday season. Good to be relevant at the WJC , and we saw that being impactful can lead to decisions being made maybe sooner than later.

Not to say either will replicate what Trouba did or how the Jets proceed with handling them the rest of this year. This experience will be very beneficial for both of them , and of course for the Jets too.

I felt similar on Josh going into the subway series thinking maybe 50-50 but after watching the two WHL games I felt it was probably closer to 80-20 in his favor.

On a side note there is allot to be said about character......both Nic and Josh having the A's on their chest showed that the TNSE character priority is more than talk.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

You have been really consistant on this opinion since away before the draft last year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

It was only a small sample size for me, but I didn't like his game in the SSS.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What do you make of of only two goalies being selected? They have to bring three to camp don't they?

They have to take three to the tournament...maybe they've decided to go take Comrie as 3rd and want to evaluate Fucale and Paterson? Strange decision though...whoever they've got in mind for 3rd should be at camp, you'd think.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Only 1 D and 2 F cut will be made. There's even speculation that the cuts will be after some exhibition games overseas (which is odd).

Team USA did it this way last season and they got the gold! :sarcasm:

despite the US's success with the very last minute cut I am not a huge fan of a kid flying home from Europe after being cut but I guess what doesn't kill you.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

They'll run full practices, install a system, etc. from day one.

Given the recent dry spell they're trying to change it up I guess.

Granted, I doubt they'd be doing this sort of thing if they didn't have a guy in Sutter who's coached to two golds.

jetkarma*

They'll run full practices, install a system, etc. from day one.

Given the recent dry spell they're trying to change it up I guess.

Granted, I doubt they'd be doing this sort of thing if they didn't have a guy in Sutter who's coached to two golds.

I have to think this is the preference of Sutter as well. He doesn't want a selection camp , more a camp to prepare those who will play imo .

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm surprised they don't take an extra goalie. What if a goalie pulls a groin in exhibition? You fly Comrie halfway across the world with little time to adjust?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm surprised they don't take an extra goalie. What if a goalie pulls a groin in exhibition? You fly Comrie halfway across the world with little time to adjust?

They will be taking 3 goalies overseas. Is it going to be Jarry or Comrie? Or someone else?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
They will be taking 3 goalies overseas. Is it going to be Jarry or Comrie? Or someone else?

I don't think they will. They'll only take two and use the extra roster spot on Reinhart, as he's facing a suspension. If one of Paterson or Fucale gets hurt then they can fly another tender over. Last year was the first time they took three, and it's only because UFA is so far. It's in Sweden this year so there's really no need to bring three.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00