Moritz Seider

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
It's obviously something they're working on in practice, you don't just start calling for the puck and shooting midseason randomly.

Exactly. Anyone that's his size can put velocity on a puck, but accuracy, timing, and consistency is what differentiates amateurs from pros.

Just note the difference between Zadina in his 3rd season vs Seider in his first half of a season. We know both Hronek and Zadina can put velocity on a puck given space and time, but between the two of them I think they've scored 2 goals with slappers this whole entire season.

As you've mentioned, the edge-work for a guy his size is unbelievable. It sets up everything for him, whether it's hits or whether he's got the puck. It gives him the balance and confidence to go right or left without anyone being able to predict which, or hang onto the puck a little longer to find a better passing or shooting angle.

Mo is just a superior athlete with superior balance on his skates. Back home in Germany there are probably some youth athletics coaches who look at him and say, "Mein gott, what a big boy. Give me him for a decade and Gernamy wins Gold in hammer throw, or javelin, or whatever the f*** he wants to throw." Rowing coaches looking for a future heavyweight eight crew member, rugby coaches in NZ would probably feel the same.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
One more thing that Seider does extremely well is keep the puck in the zone on the power play. I can recall at least a half dozen times this season when he either jumped to catch a puck or stretched with his stick to prevent the opponents' clear. Keeping the other team from changing out PKers is an undervalued aspect of Seider's talent.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Seider has about one bad turnover a game still. Some more egregious than others. Some that would get our other defensemen flamed for 3 pages in the GDT.

womp-womp-debbie-downer.gif

Reactions: 14ari13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seider has about one bad turnover a game still. Some more egregious than others. Some that would get our other defensemen flamed for 3 pages in the GDT.

Lol. Maybe you can show them or point them out? Which shouldn’t be necessary if they’re so bad.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Lol. Maybe you can show them or point them out? Which shouldn’t be necessary if they’re so bad.

IIRC, he had one yesterday on a clear from behind the net that got picked off in the slot area. He went up the middle and almost paid for it. That's the only one I can think of.

He's definitely more of a risk taker than I thought he'd be, but there are a handful of guys out there who can consistently make risks pay off. We call those guys elite. I try really hard not to get ahead of myself with Mo, but he makes it so difficult. It's all his fault lol.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

This game he had 2-3, so did Larkin and Bertuzzi.

Forget to switch your profile over to Oaf?

Judging by yourself?
You can learn a lot from Jaster.

IIRC, he had one yesterday on a clear from behind the net that got picked off in the slot area. He went up the middle and almost paid for it. That's the only one I can think of.

He's definitely more of a risk taker than I thought he'd be, but there are a handful of guys out there who can consistently make risks pay off. We call those guys elite. I try really hard not to get ahead of myself with Mo, but he makes it so difficult. It's all his fault lol.

He had that one plus 2 smaller ones

Flyers came out to play. They outshot us and outplayed us a good part of the game, but Greiss played his best game of the season.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's like the difference in going to war with a trick shot artist with a pair of six-guns, and going to war with a tank. A tank that can also fly. And has an invisible force field around it. And has a liquor cabinet inside with a dozen bottles of Jamesons 1864 so you don't have to go back to the Miess to celebrate wiping out anything in your way.

Not that I'm a war-monger or anything.
Command and Conquer: Moritz Edition.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Does anyone know where to buy a WJC Seider jersey? I’m having the damndest time getting one. I order from a site online that shipped from China but it never came in! Any other leads?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
"NHL caliber" Lol.
I said it back then. The reason people thought he had a weak shot is because he only scored 2 goals for GR in 49 games but because defenseman score goals so infrequently even the best goal scoring defensemen have stretches where they don't score many. I knew he had a great shot before he was drafted because it was on display at the WC. He scored a goal pinching in against the US but he also score another with a slap shot against one of the weaker teams and even though he didn't score with it, it was evident to me from the first exhibition game that he hard accurate slap shot from the point.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiY_vOlqfv1AhU0lIkEHUeyAs8QtwJ6BAgFEAI&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3hQA2XYlQQ&usg=AOvVaw1C_c5JpjTxbK2z9p1dwKCW
Agree. I've read where scouts said Mo was was very offensively oriented before he went to the DEL and was then coached to concentrate on defense (can't find the article)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

The last egregious one was in one of the Flyers games where he was skating back into his own zone with the puck with two forecheckers bearing down on him, and just made a cute little soft-toss dump straight up the middle where it was easily picked off by a Flyer before it got across the blue line. Dude skated straight in and had a great scoring chance.

Seider gives the puck away fairly frequently.

The proper response isn't to imply that he doesn't. The proper response is that the turnovers aren't really a cause for concern, given the following context:

- Seider takes a lot of chances with the puck. This results in more giveaways, but also results in him making many great plays and continuing to get better; meaning the giveaways should become more infrequent over time.

- Seider gets #1 minutes and is tasked with a lot of puck-on-stick, so there is more opportunity for turnovers to begin with.

- Seider is a 20yo rookie and is still learning. He's been almost mindbogglingly good. But he's not perfect (yet?).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The last egregious one was in one of the Flyers games where he was skating back into his own zone with the puck with two forecheckers bearing down on him, and just made a cute little soft-toss dump straight up the middle where it was easily picked off by a Flyer before it got across the blue line. Dude skated straight in and had a great scoring chance.

Seider gives the puck away fairly frequently.

The proper response isn't to imply that he doesn't. The proper response is that the turnovers aren't really a cause for concern, given the following context:

- Seider takes a lot of chances with the puck. This results in more giveaways, but also results in him making many great plays and continuing to get better; meaning the giveaways should become more infrequent over time.

- Seider gets #1 minutes and is tasked with a lot of puck-on-stick, so there is more opportunity for turnovers to begin with.

- Seider is a 20yo rookie and is still learning. He's been almost mindbogglingly good. But he's not perfect (yet?).
He averages one bad play a game, but I wouldn't say he gives away the puck frequently..... he's got 27 giveaways so far, and like you said he touches the puck a lot.

I get more concerned when he leaves his partner covering a 2 on 1, either from pinching or overplaying his man in the D zone. That's happened a few times. I'm sorta expecting perfection on the defensive side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad