Value of: Morgan Rielly's next contract

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Out of curiosity what do you want him to sign at? That seems around his value given similar players contracts

In a flat cap, and he is what he is at this point, he's a 6M D and nothing more. He seems to be unable to run a PP now for some reason, so scores most of his points off the rush 5v5. He can play well defensively but is prone to times where you question if he's ever played the game before. After his Norris caliber year he's regressed defensively and offensively.

I think Toronto needs to learn from the Trouba deal. Doesn't mean he is a bad player or even elite at some aspects (skating with the puck on the rush) but he's not Doughty.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If he wants to stay in Toronto he takes less than 7, if he goes open market he pushes 8. He's a stud but he makes way too many stupid defensive mistakes to pay him like a top end #1
So he goes UFA... he's not taking less than Krug

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
So let Reilly walk, much like St. Louis let Pietrangelo go for nothing? I see a team needing a top end puck moving D man paying MR 8x7 years.

Why not let him walk? From what everyone says the Leafs have 2 NHL ready Dmen that most people who truly know about prospects say the floor is top 4 dmen. They have let several plays walk when they have become UFA's now if the price tag does not fit their cap structure.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
He’d be going as a rental, albeit a damned good one. I guess if the team getting him felt they could sign him too, the return could be pretty good. But then who takes on his role and minutes? Wouldn’t it be better to trade Nylander, get young assets, and use the saved cap space for Reilly?

Who is easier to replace? Rielly or Nylander? If you move Nylander who fills his role? I know he is everyone's favorite whipping boy on the Leafs but you have to replace him if he is dealt. He is not at a Kapanen or Johnsson level. he is definitely a level higher.

The Leafs have more internal candidates that can fill portions of Rielly's role than can fill Nylander's.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why not let him walk? From what everyone says the Leafs have 2 NHL ready Dmen that most people who truly know about prospects say the floor is top 4 dmen. They have let several plays walk when they have become UFA's now if the price tag does not fit their cap structure.
They do? Well, if that’s the case then why keep Reilly? I guess he walks, and the Leafs fill his points and minutes from their farm.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Agreed.

Fans need to realise that taking a discount is taking lile 500K / 1M$ less, not 2-3M less / year.

Maybe signs @ 7.5 in TOR, but 6?? Give your head a shake...

You are also not taking a paycut when the rest of the core does not. I think he will get something between 7 and 8 on a long term deal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who is easier to replace? Rielly or Nylander? If you move Nylander who fills his role? I know he is everyone's favorite whipping boy on the Leafs but you have to replace him if he is dealt. He is not at a Kapanen or Johnsson level. he is definitely a level higher.

The Leafs have more internal candidates that can fill portions of Rielly's role than can fill Nylander's.
What about Robertson? IMO it’s harder to replace what Reilly provides (number one D man) than what Nylander does (second line RW).

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
What about Robertson? IMO it’s harder to replace what Reilly provides (number one D man) than what Nylander does (second line RW).

Robertson is replacing the Thornton, Vesey, Kerfoot and now Foligno meri go round on the Left wing. After this season their best Left wingers are Engvall and Mykeyev if Robertson is moved to the right side. Rielly really isn't a number 1 D anymore. The tough match ups are given to Muzzin and Holl. Brodie is seeing more PP time with each game. It is more of a situation that they have 3 #2 Dmen. 2 of them are making around 5 million.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
They do? Well, if that’s the case then why keep Reilly? I guess he walks, and the Leafs fill his points and minutes from their farm.

Multiple times I have read and/or heard that Sandin is considered the best Dman out side of NHL. Please understand not my words or do I think he is. I honestly do not know prospects that well. But if he is considered this good then its pretty easy to see him being part of a second pairing by the end of next season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Multiple times I have read and/or heard that Sandin is considered the best Dman out side of NHL. Please understand not my words or do I think he is. I honestly do not know prospects that well. But if he is considered this good then its pretty easy to see him being part of a second pairing by the end of next season.
For me it’s kind of like with Freddy Anderson. Until I see a guy who is actually better I’ll stick with the guy who I know is good. Reilly is good. Don’t know if he can so easily be replaced.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In a flat cap, and he is what he is at this point, he's a 6M D and nothing more. He seems to be unable to run a PP now for some reason, so scores most of his points off the rush 5v5. He can play well defensively but is prone to times where you question if he's ever played the game before. After his Norris caliber year he's regressed defensively and offensively.

I think Toronto needs to learn from the Trouba deal. Doesn't mean he is a bad player or even elite at some aspects (skating with the puck on the rush) but he's not Doughty.
Kinda a tough situation... hard to let him walk for free... specially cause you somewhat need his style on your back end.... that being said I can’t see him taking less than Fowler/Faulk

non elite dmen that I’d consider 2/3 guys are getting 6.5..... I put rielly above them both, if he takes 6.5-7 long term.... I think you take it and run.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
For me it’s kind of like with Freddy Anderson. Until I see a guy who is actually better I’ll stick with the guy who I know is good. Reilly is good. Don’t know if he can so easily be replaced.

I definitely don't think he is easily replaced. Just that the internal options seem to be there over a player like Nylander. In the end the Leafs probably sign Rielly and keep Nylander. There is still the Expansion Draft and another season to be played before a decision is made. Lots can happen in between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad