Value of: Morgan Rielly's next contract

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably whatever Jim Benning wants to pay him. I'm sure there's a picture of him in his Sedin jersey or Canucks pajamas that he can post when he signs the deal.

Oh that's not how this works for people born outside Ontario?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm gonna start this off by saying Rielly's not a bad player to have. He, however, is someone the Leafs shouldn't pay top-dollar for. If he takes something like $6-6.5M per on a 3-4 year term, then sure. Paying him something like $8Mx8 would be a bad move IMO.

Reactions: TopCheese

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd guess 7 mil x 8 years if he signs with the leafs, or 8 mil x 7 years on the open market.

Reactions: wintersej

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Probably whatever Jim Benning wants to pay him. I'm sure there's a picture of him in his Sedin jersey or Canucks pajamas that he can post when he signs the deal.

Oh that's not how this works for people born outside Ontario?

If Van wants give him a boat anchor be my guest.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Chabot is making $8M, I don't see how TML can offer anything less unless it is a home team discount.

Chabot is the better D man plain and simple.

Rielly is a number 2 who needs a defensively responsible partner to save his bacon more times than not.

I like Rielly but if he is asking for something outrageous I would rather throw that money after Jones.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
He's their #1D, there's a 0% chance he accepts less than Nylander so I'd say 7x7 would be the cheapest the Leafs get him for, but likely he'll want closer to 8 or 9M per year

Also depends how he does in the playoffs the next 2 years obviously

Reactions: Morrison

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Rielly is a number 2 who needs a defensively responsible partner to save his bacon more times than not.

I like Rielly but if he is asking for something outrageous I would rather throw that money after Jones.

I agree that Chabot is better but they are in the same tier and will be paid similarly. I'm betting his contract will be closer to $8M than $6M

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He'a not worth 8M..Fair price would be 6M, that being said as a free agent i'm guessing he gets 7M.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Any deal for Morgan Rielly is likely going to be max term... 7-8 years.

As for how much money... I think you have to look at what Alex Pietrangelo and Torrey Krug got in a "worse" market (covid uncertainty versus league likely being back to normal, just working off the debt the players owe), while being older than Rielly.

Ultimately, on the open market I don't see how you can justify anything less than about $8.5m x 7. Would he take a discount to stay in Toronto? probably. If you "value" the 8th year at $5m, it brings his AAV down to just a shade over $8m. I'd imagine that he can be signed for somewhere around $7.5m x 8.

Do the Leafs do that? It's a tough call IMO... I suspect some of the decision will be based on the development of Sandin & Liljegren. It's hard to justify letting a 28 year old Morgan Rielly walk, to keep a 31 year old TJ Brodie or 33 year old Jake Muzzin.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I seem to remember reading last year during the Petro hype that Reilly was just as good, if not better, than Petro.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
He has the potential to cripple a franchises cap after the first few years.

Great player, but not a number 1D on a contender. But he will get 1D money.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This would be the smartest thing Toronto could do and could lead them to get a cup once they obtain a true number 1 instead of him.

Easier said then done my guy.
There is maybe 8-9 true #1 d-men in the league who play like it each year. Do you think Toronto has the cap space or assets to obtain one? Probably not.
You have potentially one hitting the market this summer. But toronto can't afford him.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
he is not worth anymore than he is currently making ..
trade him if he wants more than 5m

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would rather let him walk than sign him to that deal. Love the guy, he's the only Leafs jersey I own.. But no lol
Out of curiosity what do you want him to sign at? That seems around his value given similar players contracts

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
he is not worth anymore than he is currently making ..
trade him if he wants more than 5m
5 mil x 7? He’d be leaving 15 + mil on the table at least

I think hed potentially sign cheaper in Toronto, but cheaper to me is like 6.5-7. Fowler got 6.5 x 8.... I’d consider rielly a bit better than Fowler. Faulk got 6.5, and I’d consider rielly better than him too

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
You don't pay him much more than a Tyson Barrie makes because they have about the same hockey sense and I don't think it's going to improve. Tyson makes 3.75 on a 1-year. Next year Tyson might make more money in a new deal because once he got out of Toronto he started producing more. I wouldn't go a dime higher than 5M over 4-5 years and no NTC/NMC allowed. Take it or leave it. Doesn't matter how foolish other GMs are and what they would pay. If your market value is Tyson Barrie it won't be very good. He seems like a nice guy though, but you don't open the vault for that alone.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
7m if the Leafs sign him, could see 8 with another team.

He's been a scapegoat in Leafs nation this year, which is puzzling. I'm hoping we can re-sign him, but there's just no space to give him 8. He's our #1 and a damn good hockey player, but he's not an all situations #1 guy that we can justify cutting even more depth to keep beyond a certain price point.

Reactions: Getz2noone

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
35 million for 4 years ,Why should he take a lot less than Marner,Tavares and Mathews ?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You don't pay him much more than a Tyson Barrie makes because they have about the same hockey sense and I don't think it's going to improve. Tyson makes 3.75 on a 1-year. Next year Tyson might make more money in a new deal because once he got out of Toronto he started producing more. I wouldn't go a dime higher than 5M over 4-5 years and no NTC/NMC allowed. Take it or leave it. Doesn't matter how foolish other GMs are and what they would pay. If your market value is Tyson Barrie it won't be very good. He seems like a nice guy though, but you don't open the vault for that alone.
I don’t see a scenario where he signs for 5, specially with term

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Ya, I think Brodie is better than Rielly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad