Value of: Morgan Rielly's next contract

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
If you are going to pay Morgan Rielly 8 million you are better off paying it to Seth Jones. He is worth about the same a Provorov if not less. If you pay more then better to deal him and find another option. He might not be Toronto's number 1 Dman as it is.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
7 x 7 seems about right given he's a few years younger than Krug...

I expect Hamilton will get 8+

Reactions: LFCTML

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Who even knows what the value of these contracts are after the flat cap.

7M x 5 is my guess.

Leafs may not be in a hurry to pay that contract

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If Krug and Faulk are making $6.5M then Reilly is definitely getting $7+M. There are many teams willing to sign him to that number. I bet he get $8M/yr though.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
He'll likely get somewhere in the 7 to 8 million range (a year), but I think his actual worth is a lot closer to 6

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's an average ofd. Great skater and plays against tough competition, no doubt. He makes too many costly mistakes in DZ. You can blame his teammates a bit, but this has been happening for a few years now.

Goals have gone away. Picks up chintsy secondary assists where he makes a 1 or 2 foot pass to Matthews, Marner, Nylander, JT. No creativity, can't get shots through, doesn't know when to pass to his shooters. It goes on and on. Maybe he's just really dumb?

He had a lot of promise but I think over the years he has regressed. Imo, he's not a #1 on Leafs.

Can he be elsewhere? Depends on his partner and how much he can cover? Rielly had terrific year with Hainsey, but also could just be luck?

He will command 6.5+ on open market.

I think Leafs will re-sign him for 6M which is bad news for me. Good news for all of y'all though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Chabot is making $8M, I don't see how TML can offer anything less unless it is a home team discount.
Matthews, Tavares, and Marner created an internal cap structure for the Leaf’s Most important players. Considering their contracts, Reilly has to be over 9/per. Factor in the Covid flat cap era, and he signs for 8/per.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Matthews, Tavares, and Marner created an internal cap structure for the Leaf’s Most important players. Considering their contracts, Reilly has to be over 9/per. Factor in the Covid flat cap era, and he signs for 8/per.

Or they let him walk due to that internal cap structure. Paying Rielly 9 million in a flat cap era causes them a crunch in other areas. They will need to sign Campbell the same year or another goalie. Considering how small the gap is between Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie dealing him this off season might be an option they look at if they get the sense they are paying him 9 million on his next contract.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
6 million is fair. Anyone giving him 7 or even 8 is in for a rude awakening. The guy can move the puck but makes bad decisions in the offensive zone all the time and is no good defensively. More of a lower end top pairing/higher end 2nd pairing D than a bonafide #1.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Or they let him walk due to that internal cap structure. Paying Rielly 9 million in a flat cap era causes them a crunch in other areas. They will need to sign Campbell the same year or another goalie. Considering how small the gap is between Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie dealing him this off season might be an option they look at if they get the sense they are paying him 9 million on his next contract.
So let Reilly walk, much like St. Louis let Pietrangelo go for nothing? I see a team needing a top end puck moving D man paying MR 8x7 years.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Contract comparables for Rielly, who will be 27 when he's eligible for an extension, buying up only UFA years.

NameAgeAAVLengthCap%
OEL268.25810.38
Hedman257.875810.79
Carlson288810.06
Trouba25879.82
Letang267.25811.28
Fowler256.588.67
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Only Letang had been a Norris finalist (3rd), Carlson had the next best (5th) finish at the time of the signings. All buy UFA years exclusively, except Trouba, who bought one RFA year.

The flat cap will probably deflate his relative salary a bit. I think Fowler is the closest comparable, which would be a shade over 7 AAV pro-rated to an 81.5 ceiling.

I'd probably trade him this off-season if his next contract AAV doesn't begin with 6.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Contract comparables for Rielly, who will be 27 when he's eligible for an extension, buying up only UFA years.

NameAgeAAVLengthCap%
OEL268.25810.38
Hedman257.875810.79
Carlson288810.06
Trouba25879.82
Letang267.25811.28
Fowler256.588.67
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Only Letang had been a Norris finalist (3rd), Carlson had the next best (5th) finish at the time of the signings. All buy UFA years exclusively, except Trouba, who bought one RFA year.

The flat cap will probably deflate his relative salary a bit. I think Fowler is the closest comparable, which would be a shade over 7 AAV pro-rated to an 81.5 ceiling.

I'd probably trade him this off-season if his next contract AAV doesn't begin with 6.
He cant shoot from the point and has been terrible defensively the last couple of years. I'd definitely trade him and change up the defense. Muzzin and Brodie can take the tough matchups and rotate in Sandin/Lilly with the Holl, Bogo types. Maybe pick up vet PP type or move Nylander for bigger fish. No way do I want him on 7 or 8 year deal

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He may not be a perfect D but he does bring a lot to the table and the Leafs have no one who can replace him so I think it's a foregone conclusion that he gets locked up long term. Pair him with a solid say at home guy and I think you've got a great pairing.
Around $7.5 million for 7 years would be my guess. It's hard to see how he'd take less given the salary structure of the team and his leverage.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Trade him. Let another team pay the high price.
He’d be going as a rental, albeit a damned good one. I guess if the team getting him felt they could sign him too, the return could be pretty good. But then who takes on his role and minutes? Wouldn’t it be better to trade Nylander, get young assets, and use the saved cap space for Reilly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad