• Jonathan Huberdeau

• Johnny Gaudreau

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Guess Gaudreau had to get out of Calgary to finally win a HF poll :laugh:
last summer he lost one to Landeskog ffs

I think this is him by a close but still comfortable margin.
Also glad Whiskey has a new team to shit on for not giving Johnny the world and the sky and all the stars in it.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
and 34 points despite shooting at 16%. That's not top 6 production.

His career 5v5 p/60 without Gaudreau before this season was something like 1.38. That's not top 5 production.
Sure and he was a rookie straight out of the draft that season. You think that if Gaudreau doesn't show up he peaks during his rookie year? Seems unlikely to me.

It's also pretty irrelevant to look at his career 5v5 p/60 without Gaudreau since he never played without Gaudreau for any meaningful time in his prime.

I do honestly agree with you in the sense that I don't think Monahan ever ends up being a 1C sans Gaudreau. But suggesting he's never top 6 is a huge reach.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
61%>50%, Huberdeau has never had less than 50%Ozs.

The point was that having Barkov’s line take the hardest matchups allowed Huberdeau to get the easier matchups, while Gaudreau’s line has been the only line in Flames that opponents had to focus on.

This is a couple of years old... but you should probably read it.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Huberdeau is the only dude that can spinorama saucer pass across the ice and finished second in points.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015

This is a couple of years old... but you should probably read it.
I won’t bother, Huberdeau was not the Panthers best player couple years ago over Barkov, and anyone saying he was is straight up lying to themselves.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Huberdeau's most common centers the past two season's been Bennett (21/22) and Wennberg (20/21). So sure, he played with Barkov back in the days, but when he separated from Barkov is when he truly became elite.
I agree on this. Barkov got the harder matchups when they were separated. Huberdeau could actually drive a line from the LW spot by himself.

Reactions: Buck Naked

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I agree on this. Barkov got the harder matchups when they were separated. Huberdeau could actually drive a line from the LW spot by himself.
Pretty sure Sutter is going to give Backlund harder matchups in Calgary and he'll still be able to light it up with Lindholm and Toffoli.

• Haha
Reactions: jonlin

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You can't possibly take that article seriously when it suggests that Huberdeau is a better defensive player than Barkov lol.
Yeah, doesn't seem like a defensive stalwart:
FM9Nof-WUAs6HBk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
(1) I expect Gaudreau's style to age much better than Huberdeau's. Hubie is already a lead footed guy, I'm not sure how much more speed he can lose and still be a play driver. I think they'll probably be within 10-20 points apart for the next few years, but then I expect Huberdeau to fall off a bit - he's stylistically pretty similar to a guy like Brad Richards.

(2) Gaudreau is just the better offensive player - he's been asked to carry Monahan nearly his entire career, while Huberdeau has had Barkov. And Huberdeau isn't going to have the benefit of feasting off the PP either, because Calgary's is always terrible. For example - last year, Gaudreau had 90 ES points vs Huberdeau's 72.

As long as he's not asked to carry two 4th line players, that won't be the case.

Sigh... I'll say I agree with most of your post, but for different reasons. I think it's Gaudreau, but not a fair margin (10% or less is my definition), but I agree that I think it'll be close.

I think the projected lines that Huberdeau and Gaudreau will sit on are all untested and uncertain. However, Gaudreau works well with a sniper and a decent speed centre. He has that in Columbus with Laine and whoever they give him for C (Jenner, Sillinger, Texier etc). I agree he's done more with less when doing Gaudreau - Monahan - bottom 6 line combos and he will play across from another legit superstar player in Laine.

Gaudreau can "struggle" with some of the coach's game plans and I'm not sure if that will happen or not with Larsen.

Huberdeau has benefited from having another superstar on the team in guys like Ekblad and Barkov. His quality of line mates in Florida has probably been on par with Gaudreau somewhat in Calgary. Both have shown they can elevate a line, although arguably, Gaudreau has had to elevate lower calibre players than Huberdeau. Huberdeau will not have a superstar line mate, but he should be playing with two star players. I feel like the floor is higher, but ceiling lower vs what Gaudreau will have access to.

Huberdeau should be intelligent enough to tweak his game under Sutter. Lots of players with career years playing for Sutter which could negate the quality of line mates/ceiling issue that he has vs Gaudreau. Some of Huberdeau's criticisms were the same as Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Sutter helped improve the game for both players, no reason to think he cannot for Huberdeau.

Both scored at impressive clips if put in an ideal situation. Both teams will do their best to give the ideal situation.

Expected quality of line mates ceiling: <<Gaudreau (Because Laine if assuming Gaudreau - Jenner/Texier - Laine)
Expected quality of line mates floor: <Huberdeau (Because centre/defensive responsibilities if assuming Lindholm + Mangiapane)
Coach: <Huberdeau (Sutter > Larsen)

8 year point projection:
Gaudreau - 720-800 points.
Huberdeau - 650-750 points

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Sigh... I'll say I agree with most of your post, but for different reasons. I think it's Gaudreau, but not a fair margin (10% or less is my definition), but I agree that I think it'll be close.

I think the projected lines that Huberdeau and Gaudreau will sit on are all untested and uncertain. However, Gaudreau works well with a sniper and a decent speed centre. He has that in Columbus with Laine and whoever they give him for C (Jenner, Sillinger, Texier etc). I agree he's done more with less when doing Gaudreau - Monahan - bottom 6 line combos and he will play across from another legit superstar player in Laine.

Gaudreau can "struggle" with some of the coach's game plans and I'm not sure if that will happen or not with Larsen.

Huberdeau has benefited from having another superstar on the team in guys like Ekblad and Barkov. His quality of line mates in Florida has probably been on par with Gaudreau somewhat in Calgary. Both have shown they can elevate a line, although arguably, Gaudreau has had to elevate lower calibre players than Huberdeau. Huberdeau will not have a superstar line mate, but he should be playing with two star players. I feel like the floor is higher, but ceiling lower vs what Gaudreau will have access to.

Huberdeau should be intelligent enough to tweak his game under Sutter. Lots of players with career years playing for Sutter which could negate the quality of line mates/ceiling issue that he has vs Gaudreau. Some of Huberdeau's criticisms were the same as Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Sutter helped improve the game for both players, no reason to think he cannot for Huberdeau.

Both scored at impressive clips if put in an ideal situation. Both teams will do their best to give the ideal situation.

Expected quality of line mates ceiling: <<Gaudreau (Because Laine if assuming Gaudreau - Jenner/Texier - Laine)
Expected quality of line mates floor: <Huberdeau (Because centre/defensive responsibilities if assuming Lindholm + Mangiapane)
Coach: <Huberdeau (Sutter > Larsen)

8 year point projection:
Gaudreau - 720-800 points.
Huberdeau - 650-750 points
Laine is not a better line mate than Lindholm until he proves it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The bigger player who takes way better care of his body. Cant believe Gaudreau is winning this. He also has less motivation.

(1) I expect Gaudreau's style to age much better than Huberdeau's. Hubie is already a lead footed guy, I'm not sure how much more speed he can lose and still be a play driver. I think they'll probably be within 10-20 points apart for the next few years, but then I expect Huberdeau to fall off a bit - he's stylistically pretty similar to a guy like Brad Richards.

(2) Gaudreau is just the better offensive player - he's been asked to carry Monahan nearly his entire career, while Huberdeau has had Barkov. And Huberdeau isn't going to have the benefit of feasting off the PP either, because Calgary's is always terrible. For example - last year, Gaudreau had 90 ES points vs Huberdeau's 72.

As long as he's not asked to carry two 4th line players, that won't be the case.
Huberdeau doesnt even play with Barkov lol. The smaller player with less motivation is going to be the one that breaks down faster. Huberdeau doesnt need elite speed to be effective. Gaudreau loses a step and he is toast. But i mean we knew you'd take the american no matter what any way. ;)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The bigger player who takes way better care of his body. Cant believe Gaudreau is winning this. He also has less motivation.

Huberdeau doesnt even play with Barkov lol. The smaller player with less motivation is going to be the one that breaks down faster. Huberdeau doesnt need elite speed to be effective.
Huberdeau has played a ton with Barkov over his career, are you serious?

And how does Gaudreau have less motivation?

And you know that bigger players historically have had a tendency to break down faster, right? Gaudreau hasn't missed a game in over 4 years...
But i mean we knew you'd take the american no matter what any way. ;)

Yeah that's why I said Huberdeau is way better than Tkachuk and that Florida lost that trade badly....

Not everyone is obsessed with nationality.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Huberdeau has played a ton with Barkov over his career, are you serious?

And how does Gaudreau have less motivation?

And you know that bigger players historically have had a tendency to break down faster, right? Gaudreau hasn't missed a game in over 4 years...

Yeah that's why I said Huberdeau is way better than Tkachuk and that Florida lost that trade badly....

Not everyone is obsessed with nationality.
You actually dont see how Huberdeau has more motivation?... Shouldnt need to be explained.

Small players cant take the beating on their bodies and Huberdeau isnt big he just isnt tiny.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You actually dont see how Huberdeau has more motivation?... Shouldnt need to be explained.

Small players cant take the beating on their bodies and Huberdeau isnt big he just isnt tiny.
I really don't see how Huberdeau has any more motivation?

Gaudreau takes way less contact than Huberdeau, and there is a long history of small players aging better than any other group of players. He plays a very low impact style - over the last 4 years Huberdeau has taken nearly twice as many hits as Gaudreau and has missed a lot more hockey due to injury.

Reactions: CBJx614

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I like Huberdeau’s consistency. It took him longer than usual to break out but since he has, his worst season is 1.1ppg. Gaudreau is all over the place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad