More Points over next 8 years: Huberdeau or Gaudreau

Who produces more over next 8 years

• Jonathan Huberdeau

• Johnny Gaudreau

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wasn't able to find a thread on this but feel like with Huberdeau signing essentially the same deal offered by Calgary to Gaudreau, it's worth a comparison.

Who produces more over the remainder of the contract? Huberdeau in Calgary or Gaudreau in Columbus?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would say Gaudreau.

On paper Gaudreau- Laine looks like money

Edit,
Of course Johnny has only 7 years in comparison :sarcasm:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think Huberdeau is in a better situation to have more points. He is a good goal scorer but an amazing setup man and as long as the 2 breakout goal scorers for them last year, Lindholm and Mangiapane, don't regress a lot he should be able to get 80 to 90 points.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I think Huberdeau gets more total points over the next 8 years.

He seems more consistent year-to-year than Gaudreau.

Gaudreau is more likely to put up a couple of 65 points in 80 games type seasons, whereas Huberdeau is more likely to put up at least a point-per-game in most seasons.

Reactions: Wats

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Think they'll both hover around the 80-90 point range for most of the duration of their contracts.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Huberdeau.

Smaller guys like Gaudreau lose a step and things can get difficult for them quickly.

Reactions: Wats

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Huberdeau.

Smaller guys like Gaudreau lose a step and things can get difficult for them quickly.

While they can decline quickly if they lose it physically, I find small guys’ bodies tend to age well though, probably because there’s less wear and tear, not just from avoiding contact to some degree, but also I think being lighter just puts less stress on joints/bones/muscles when you’re in high level physical competition.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Gaudreau by a fair margin

Curious as to why? I know you’re a big Gaudreau fan but they’ve been pretty similar in scoring for their careers, and are the same age from the same draft, and have both largely been healthy. Huberdeau has 10 more points over the last 5 years. Gaudreau has 54 more over the last 8 years, but that’s largely due to one season Huberdeau missed significant time, and their PPGs in that time are nearly identical (1.01 for Gaudreau, 1.00 for Huberdeau). Outside of that year, Huberdeau missed only 12 games in those other 7 seasons combined and only 3 in his last 5, so it seems like an outlier. I know you’ve brought up linemates holding Gaudreau back before, but Huberdeau scored the same last year with worse linemates. Maybe Gaudreau clicks with Laine, but Columbus doesn’t look like it’s that much better for him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Curious as to why? I know you’re a big Gaudreau fan but they’ve been pretty similar in scoring for their careers, and are the same age from the same draft, and have both largely been healthy. Huberdeau has 10 more points over the last 5 years. Gaudreau has 54 more over the last 8 years, but that’s largely due to one season Huberdeau missed significant time, and their PPGs in that time are nearly identical (1.01 for Gaudreau, 1.00 for Huberdeau). Outside of that year, Huberdeau missed only 12 games in those other 7 seasons combined and only 3 in his last 5, so it seems like an outlier. I know you’ve brought up linemates holding Gaudreau back before, but Huberdeau scored the same last year with worse linemates. Maybe Gaudreau clicks with Laine, but Columbus doesn’t look like it’s that much better for him.
(1) I expect Gaudreau's style to age much better than Huberdeau's. Hubie is already a lead footed guy, I'm not sure how much more speed he can lose and still be a play driver. I think they'll probably be within 10-20 points apart for the next few years, but then I expect Huberdeau to fall off a bit - he's stylistically pretty similar to a guy like Brad Richards.

(2) Gaudreau is just the better offensive player - he's been asked to carry Monahan nearly his entire career, while Huberdeau has had Barkov. And Huberdeau isn't going to have the benefit of feasting off the PP either, because Calgary's is always terrible. For example - last year, Gaudreau had 90 ES points vs Huberdeau's 72.

I think Huberdeau gets more total points over the next 8 years.

He seems more consistent year-to-year than Gaudreau.

Gaudreau is more likely to put up a couple of 65 points in 80 games type seasons
, whereas Huberdeau is more likely to put up at least a point-per-game in most seasons.
As long as he's not asked to carry two 4th line players, that won't be the case.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Huberdeau has 9 years left while Gaudreau has 7, so is it really the same deal?

Anyway, Gaudreau.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
(2) Gaudreau is just the better offensive player - he's been asked to carry Monahan nearly his entire career, while Huberdeau has had Barkov. And Huberdeau isn't going to have the benefit of feasting off the PP either, because Calgary's is always terrible. For example - last year, Gaudreau had 90 ES points vs Huberdeau's 72.

Huberdeau's most common centers the past two season's been Bennett (21/22) and Wennberg (20/21). So sure, he played with Barkov back in the days, but when he separated from Barkov is when he truly became elite.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Huberdeau's most common centers the past two season's been Bennett (21/22) and Wennberg (20/21). So sure, he played with Barkov back in the days, but when he separated from Barkov is when he truly became elite.
It’s not only just about the linemates tho. In Florida Huberdeau had the benefit of Barkov’s line drawing most of the hardest matchups, in Calgary he will be facing all those hard matchups.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It’s not only just about the linemates tho. In Florida Huberdeau had the benefit of Barkov’s line drawing most of the hardest matchups, in Calgary he will be facing all those hard matchups.

This is pretty overrated imo when talking about true star players. It also means Barkov’s line takes some offensive opportunities away

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
This is pretty overrated imo when talking about true star players. It also means Barkov’s line takes some offensive opportunities away
Considering Huberdeau has 72%Ozs with only half a minute less ice time per game and about as many PK mins as Barkov despite playing 13 games more. It’s quite clear that it created more opportunities to Huberdeau than took them away.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Gaudreau over 8 years easily

Calgary will not be a power house on offense and Hub is already 30

If everything pawn out Columbus will have a hell of a transition game, Werenski Jiricek Boqvist Mateychuk with Laine and they young player

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad