Speculation: More Players who need to be protected in an expansion draft.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't worry Isles fans, Edmonton will help you out. Mark Fayne + 3rd 2017 + 2nd 2018 for Boychuk. You get to keep Nelson and get out from under the Boychuk contract four years sooner while paying less in the interim. Deal?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They could protect all 5 D, along with Tavares, Ladd, and Strome.

That would leave Nelson available. Depends on who they'd rather lose. Nelson, Strome, or 1 of the defenceman.

Unless something changed when I wasn't looking the choices are 3D + 7F or 4D +4F. There is no option to protect 5D.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Exactly the only impactful D i could see Holland moving Mantha for would be like Shattenkirk or possibly Trouba maybe Barrie other then that you have to protect him at all cost.

I'm not moving Mantha for shattenkirk without an extension. And Barrie for Mantha is insane. Undersized dman that has some compareables in our system like vili and hicketts for a huge power forward that has the upside to be worth a lot. The wings are not in a good trading spot for what's available. Holland is losing out on everyone available worth the cost. Barrie, shattenkirk do not make Detroit a better team for the price you'd have to give up

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm not moving Mantha for shattenkirk without an extension. And Barrie for Mantha is insane. Undersized dman that has some compareables in our system like vili and hicketts for a huge power forward that has the upside to be worth a lot. The wings are not in a good trading spot for what's available. Holland is losing out on everyone available worth the cost. Barrie, shattenkirk do not make Detroit a better team for the price you'd have to give up

Well ya you only include Mantha in a deal for Shattenkirk if an extension is included. Should've included that part. And i agree i wouldn't give up Mantha for an undersized Barrie either just saying that Sakic could ask for him in a Barrie swap and Holland would laugh at him and hang up the phone. I kind off hate that both Mantha and AA are most likely going to be playing in Grand Rapids this year barring any injuries they need to be playing that's the only way to increase their value here.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
This depending on the return for a D man either Mantha is protected or traded.

How about a nice three-way:

To Detroit- Shattenkirk's rights, Edmonton 3rd 2017, Edmonton 2nd 2018
To St. Louis- Anthony Mantha, Teemu Pulkkinen
To Edmonton- Mike Green

Detroit runs with Kronwall-Shattenkirk/Ericsson-DeKeyser/Smith-Marchenko, Oilers get their puckmover, and the Blues add a pair of winger prospects for a player one year from UFA.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

To Edmonton- Mike Green

Detroit runs with Kronwall-Shattenkirk/Ericsson-DeKeyser/Smith-Marchenko, Oilers get their puckmover, and the Blues add a pair of winger prospects for a player one year from UFA.

:laugh: So Edmonton gets Green for a 2nd and 3rd? Nice try, EdmontonExpress.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
:laugh: So Edmonton gets Green for a 2nd and 3rd? Nice try, EdmontonExpress.

For Detroit to get a long-term solution to their defence while off-loading the Green contract without any sort of retention is a net boon for the Wings. They can't possibly afford both he and Shattenkirk. Even if they could, it's a good bet they'd lose a better player in the expansion draft due to protection limits. All things considered, Shattenkirk + 2nd + 3rd for Green + Mantha + Pulkkinen is a perfectly reasonable swap.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Is there are no-trade window ahead of the expansion draft? It would be irritating for Las Vegas if teams started pulling off trades 15 minutes ahead of the draft.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Well ya you only include Mantha in a deal for Shattenkirk if an extension is included. Should've included that part. And i agree i wouldn't give up Mantha for an undersized Barrie either just saying that Sakic could ask for him in a Barrie swap and Holland would laugh at him and hang up the phone. I kind off hate that both Mantha and AA are most likely going to be playing in Grand Rapids this year barring any injuries they need to be playing that's the only way to increase their value here.

Very true. I'm my honest opinion Holland's better signings are out weighed by his bad ones. Once again. AA definitely should be on this roster. It's a shame at this point . I think we are in some trouble

Fear

Nov 17, 2014

I don't know if you guys are either severely overrating Mantha or severly underrating Barrie ...

Only 7 defensemen put up 100 points in the past 2 years: Karlsson, Burns, Letang, Josi, Subban, Giordano, Barrie.

If Mantha was the main piece coming back for Barrie someone would laugh and hang up, and it wouldn't be Holland

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

To Edmonton- Mike Green

First off, Shattenkirk is under contract, so you're a bit too early with trading his rights. Secondly, this seems to favour the Oilers quite a lot...

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
8 skaters + 1G is the option. You could protect 8 D and 0 forwards if you wanted to.

While true, you also need to expose a defenseman under contract who either played 40+ the season preceding the draft, or 70+ combined the two seasons preceding the draft.

Even if a team was crazy enough to protect 8 D, they probably need to expose one of their top 7.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Hah! What a joke

In what way... those guys are young 2Ds. Mantha is... what? A good prospect, but he has proven absolutely nothing (and don't bring up his AHL production, because it means nothing when you're acquiring proven NHL talent of those three's caliber). On top of that, Winnipeg and likely St. Louis has no need for him. Colorado could use him, but he'd be an addition to the main piece of a package. So yeah, his value is really far off from Jacob Trouba, Kevin Shattenkirk and Tyson Barrie.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
For Detroit to get a long-term solution to their defence while off-loading the Green contract without any sort of retention is a net boon for the Wings. They can't possibly afford both he and Shattenkirk. Even if they could, it's a good bet they'd lose a better player in the expansion draft due to protection limits. All things considered, Shattenkirk + 2nd + 3rd for Green + Mantha + Pulkkinen is a perfectly reasonable swap.

Ummm your high, that is completely insane. Green did a solid job . It's not up for discussion, the answer would be no. Let me say it one more time. NO! Everyone wants Mantha but he has " low value" green for shatty is a lateral move. And actually hurts the team. You want some good in return of that value you stated . nothing that would interest the wings to do something that desperate.PERIOD. Either you accept it or don't. You guys are losing him that's very evident

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
In what way... those guys are young 2Ds. Mantha is... what? A good prospect, but he has proven absolutely nothing (and don't bring up his AHL production, because it means nothing when you're acquiring proven NHL talent of those three's caliber). On top of that, Winnipeg and likely St. Louis has no need for him. Colorado could use him, but he'd be an addition to the main piece of a package. So yeah, his value is really far off from Jacob Trouba, Kevin Shattenkirk and Tyson Barrie.

Your not under standing, I don't care what your player is worth. Shattenkirk is not a top 2 dman. Lol Colton,piety, lol he is not he is overrated just because he is "available" he's a rental lol I really doubt he would resign

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Is there are no-trade window ahead of the expansion draft? It would be irritating for Las Vegas if teams started pulling off trades 15 minutes ahead of the draft.

There is going to be a roster freeze of about 48-72 hours prior to the expansion draft. It gives the expansion team(s), a finalized list of who is available for each team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad